What's new

Micromatic Monday

I’m getting one of these MMOCs in the mail. I’ve been DE shaving for about 1.5 years. What do I need to look out for (I’ve been watching videos and note that the angle is a lot different than a DE)? And what’s the mildest blade I can use

I'm not an expert in GEMs, but isn't the usual advice "buy the PTFE blades and learn the best technique for using them?". I found my ER 1912 very easy to pick up, and I get a lot less irritation with the rigid blade than any DE. It was all win-win. While there are several good choices in DE blades, my understanding is that for SE it's PTFE or P-30s depending which type of razor you have - they're both way out in the lead.

I’m getting one of these MMOCs in the mail. I’ve been DE shaving for about 1.5 years. What do I need to look out for (I’ve been watching videos and note that the angle is a lot different than a DE)? And what’s the mildest blade I can use

Just follow these instruments!

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

What have I gotten myself into?

This is funny, I was purchasing a pre-war Gillette Tech (I want that mild shave) and the seller was selling the Tech with the Gem as a package for a ridiculous price.
If you follow the instructions, it will feel mild but will be extremely efficient!

So, I’m out of town and decided to take the PAA Alpha Ecliptic slant. I feel you GEM users would enjoy this inexpensive $19 slant because it gives a similar efficiency as the MMOC. I’m just mentioning this is case down the road you want the experience.

The blade was first use Feather.

New to the thread, new to SE shaving. Giving this a go.

So, my GEM G-Bar I obtained on ebay arrived today. Alas, my PTFE blades wont arrive until Monday so I have to wait. Its a beautiful looking razor.

Here is my question, if its too mild, what would be considered the next step up in GEM aggressiveness. The Gog Pruf?

Ill let you all know how my first ever shave with a GEM goes early next week.

Here is my question, if its too mild, what would be considered the next step up in GEM aggressiveness.?

I would use it for a week or two and adapt to it, change your technique if necessary, and if it's too mild then step up to the Micromatics.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
New to the thread, new to SE shaving. Giving this a go.

So, my GEM G-Bar I obtained on ebay arrived today. Alas, my PTFE blades wont arrive until Monday so I have to wait. Its a beautiful looking razor.

Here is my question, if its too mild, what would be considered the next step up in GEM aggressiveness. The Gog Pruf?

Ill let you all know how my first ever shave with a GEM goes early next week.
I found that shorter strokes of the razor seemed to work for me better(learning curve) with very light pressure especially with a new blade, great blade The Gem SS PTFE by Personna! Hope this helps with the excellent advice of others.

Sunday shave and always like to use a SE razor and this is one of my new entries
Razor: GEM G Bar
Blade : GEM Personna Stainless steel PTFE (Teflon) coated(5)
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Preshave:hot towel +Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave : Proraso green eucalyptus + witch hazel
Post shave :Nivea balm
I must finally be getting this Gem g bar procedure dialed in, great close shave on 5 th use of blade with even some J- hooking to test the confidence!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Sunday shave Dec9-2018 (2).jpg
I should make the Monday shave!

Last edited:
Appreciate the instructions Ron R ^^. You take this hobby quite serious by the looks of it, I am sure you enjoy it as well. I have Lucky Tiger and Speick aftershaves but never really use them. Not bragging but my hot water soaking of beard and lighter touch and shallow angle of shaving result in not much irritation or none really. I guess I might even feel better if I used them. You can never feel too good right?

I found that shorter strokes of the razor seemed to work for me better(learning curve) with very light pressure especially with a new blade, great blade The Gem SS PTFE by Personna! Hope this helps with the excellent advice of others.

Sunday shave and always like to use a SE razor and this is one of my new entries
Razor: GEM G Bar
Blade : GEM Personna Stainless steel PTFE (Teflon) coated(5)
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Preshave:hot towel +Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave : Proraso green eucalyptus + witch hazel
Post shave :Nivea balm
I must finally be getting this Gem g bar procedure dialed in, great close shave on 5 th use of blade with even some J- hooking to test the confidence!
View attachment 933809 View attachment 933810 View attachment 933811
I should make the Monday shave!
Great post, my friend.

6th shave with the GEM PFTE blade and my MMBT. A smooth shave and the blade just seems to have gained in smoothness, but hasn't lost its sharpness.

Second shave with a MMOC and a PFTE blade. Did a little stropping on it this morning and lightened up the pressure on my ATG pass, much better.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
LOL!! No.
Oh wow....I always thought it was :lol1:!!! Gotta say, I always hear this line playing in my head: "it's just another Micromatic Monnnnnday"!!!

It looks like a lot of folks will be joining in the shave today -- I will be using a Gem razor today, but it's a 1912 (Damaskeene), and given that it preceded the Micromatic line by a couple of decades (give or take a few years), I will respectfully bow out. But I will be checking on everyone's posts here and enjoying your enjoyment of this awesome razor!!!

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
6th shave with the GEM PFTE blade and my MMBT. A smooth shave and the blade just seems to have gained in smoothness, but hasn't lost its sharpness.
This has been my experience as well. The first 2 shaves are on the harsh-side, and then the blade continues to cut well but really mellows out.

This has been my experience as well. The first 2 shaves are on the harsh-side, and then the blade continues to cut well but really mellows out.
True. I usually put the new blade in a Gem featherweight as it's pretty mild and makes the new blade tolerable. Then it's handed over to the Micromatic family !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom