What's new

Micromatic Monday

MMOC, PTFE, Stirling Pumpkin (until November is over then it goes back in the drawer until next year), RR400 PLisson style. BBS, minimal AS sting (less than last time) and it was on a couple of days growth. Good times!

The bumps were added when GEM introduced their double edge blade. The blade had no spine, so the bumps raised the blade to the same angle as a blade with spine. After one edge went bad, you flip the blade around and use the other edge.

If you use the spineless blade in the bumpless MMOC, it will lay flat possibly making it more aggressive. You can despine a GEM blade easily with a pair of pliers and see how it performs. A despined blade shouldn't be any different in the MMOC with the bumps.

This is what I heard...
Thank you sir ! You're a scholar par excellence !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Finished my Micromatic Monday shave, and it was great!!! Thank you to both TwelveFret and luv2shave for both your encouragement and shaving tips for getting the best out of this exceptional razor.

Today's shave included: Men's Soap Company Bay Rum, RazorRock 24mm Plissoft, and a Gem PTFE on it's 6th shave.

Results were 2-pass (with a light touch-up) BBS everywhere but the band around my Adams apple, which I managed to get a close, comfortable (with special emphasis on the comfortable) shave. Last Friday's shave was much better and today's shave was even better and I dare say the best I've ever experienced with any of my other razors, DE or Carts.

Finished my Micromatic Monday shave, and it was great!!! Thank you to both TwelveFret and luv2shave for both your encouragement and shaving tips for getting the best out of this exceptional razor.

Today's shave included: Men's Soap Company Bay Rum, RazorRock 24mm Plissoft, and a Gem PTFE on it's 6th shave.

Results were 2-pass (with a light touch-up) BBS everywhere but the band around my Adams apple, which I managed to get a close, comfortable (with special emphasis on the comfortable) shave. Last Friday's shave was much better and today's shave was even better and I dare say the best I've ever experienced with any of my other razors, DE or Carts.
Awesome ! Always happy to enable fellow wetshavers to good things in life. An SOTD photo of the shave would be great !

For some sensitive neck areas, I hold the razor right just below the base plate and move it around flat with short strokes and it's very effective. Try it !

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Will do, although I must admit that my pics pale in comparison to the majority of folks who post, and the SOTD forum has what appears to be some professional photographers posting there. That said, it was definitely SOTD worthy -- from my perspective!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thank you sir ! You're a scholar par excellence !

Interesting concept were those bumps on the bottom plate, The Gem Micromatic Double Edge blade must of been short lived because they lasted to long and affected sales?
692a92a2a7dfd35d7dbfd52fcd12a2a5 (2).jpg

:a14::a17::a50:

Micromatic Bullet Tip (AKA Flying Wing)
Schick twin blade

I've seen a few posts where guys were using injector blades in Micromatics. Today I thought I would try a twin in the Bullet Tip. It fit well and clamped tight, so I gave it a go. Worked very well and stepped up the efficiency of the BT and was still very smooth. Seems to make a nice combo. I think I'll try it in a few other Micromatics.
P1070176(rc1rs).jpg

Schick twin blade

I've seen a few posts where guys were using injector blades in Micromatics. Today I thought I would try a twin in the Bullet Tip. It fit well and clamped tight, so I gave it a go. Worked very well and stepped up the efficiency of the BT and was still very smooth. Seems to make a nice combo. I think I'll try it in a few other Micromatics.
View attachment 927625
Interesting and thanks for posting. If you don't mind you really need to take toothpaste and a brush to that TTO;)

Interesting and thanks for posting. If you don't mind you really need to take toothpaste and a brush to that TTO;)
Thanks. I have a few others that I did shine up. This one had enough plate loss (especially on the TTO knob I didn't bother to polish it up and just left it as a satin finish. :wink2:

Just kidding of course.
I assumed so. It does look kind of grimy, but it's just plate loss and a bit of pitting. The guy before me probably should have cleaned it a bit more, but it still functions fine. When I have more than one example of a razor I like to use the worse looking but still functional one, and leave the nicer one clean and pretty. Ugly razors need love too.

Flintstone65

Schick twin blade

View attachment 927625
Very interesting idea. Please do keep us posted. I've got a BT on the way, and I like really efficient razors, so I'm glad to hear there is a way to amplify the efficiency for this razor. I've also got a MMCP and MMOC, and while I find the MMOC has a sufficient amount of efficiency (at least for me), I haven't taken the Clog-Pruf out for a spin yet. I've heard the MMCP is on the milder side and I'm not sure what that means in terms of efficiency, but it would be nice to know if it could be amp'd up with a twin blade too.

Had a very efficient shave with my MMCP yesterday. (with 2 passes I almost achieved BBS) The CP is a bit more aggressive than the BT, so I had to be more careful with my final touchup. I think I prefer the BT to the CP.

It was a great Micromatic Monday, a real brotherhood forming using these old little known razor. Thank you for participating.

Flintstone65

After 7 straight shaves with my MMOC -- each one better than the one before -- this Monday will be my Macromatic Clog-Pruf.

After 7 straight shaves with my MMOC -- each one better than the one before -- this Monday will be my Macromatic Clog-Pruf.
That's a great testimony for these fine razors and I appreciate your continued participation in Micromatic Monday. See you Monday, my friend. ;)

Top Bottom