What's new

Memory foam mattress vs inner spring mattress

...Whenever we traveled, I always wondered why every other bed in the known universe was more comfortable...
Indirectly I think this is the best advice. To take a long road trip and make note of which mattresses sleep best and which do not.

Have a Latex/foam blend mattress for over 10 years now that still looks and feels like the day it was purchased. But it is a little too firm for my liking so also added a memory foam topper. Currently on the third topper, only this last one which was advertised as sleeping cool, is cool enough for summer time without extra AC.

Even though I like this mattress for its durability, I find that a high quality inner spring is a little more comfortable.

I'm in the market for a new mattress, as well.

I am done with memory foam; next mattress will have none of it because of the heat and sag. My current top choice is a mattress from Gardner Mattress, innerspring with cotton & wool padding. It carries about a 25% premium over the Sealy/Serta/Simmons products, but I don't think a mattress is something you skimp on.

I can only recommend Sleep Number. Best mattress I've ever had by a huge margin. I do put a thin memory foam on top that provides a bit of extra luxury. Mine's around 14 years old and as good as the day I bought it. Since it's air filled, it's not possible for it to sag, etc. I've had no leaks. The only issue I have had is the adjustment remotes (wired on my model) - they both have missing led segments on the display number, so hard to tell what number you're on. I never change it anyway, and if I did, I'd adjust based on feel, not the number.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For Christmas my wife and I bought ourselves a new bed. We went with a 13" Night Therapy memory foam mattress from Sam's Club. It's only been 8 months, so I can't speak to the durability, but after the first couple of weeks we have been sleeping better than we have in years.

You can buy a regular mattress, and then add an aftermarket memory foam pad to it. Prices vary, depending on the pad's thickness. It's an economical alternative. After three years, the pad we have is still working as designed, and remains quite comfortable.

We have a Temper-Pedic and it's a very firm one which my wife and I really like. I know their a little pricey but their really worth the money. We also have the pillows as well, real comfortable mattress.

I have owned a Tempurpedic California King for maybe 7 or 8 years. I won't buy another one.

First, it's very hot. I have to wash my sheets every few days because I sweat on them. I buy the $3 pillows from Wally world and throw one away each week. They get soaked and are not washable. Yes, I did buy the $80 gel pillow. It is cooler; but, not comfortable. I would rather sleep on a cheap down pillow and throw it out.

Second, I have a fairly large depression where I sleep. Yes, I am a big boy.

Third, the mattress is to heavy for my wife and I to rotate it.

Nope, not getting another.

My wife and I have had a few mattresses over 47 years, mostly innerspring, some of those with their own foam tops and some with a foam top that we added. In the late 90's we got a Sleep Number (it went by another name back then). After about 15 years we decided to try something new & got an innerspring from Costco that had good reviews. In 6 months it began to sag so we got rid of it and bought a new Sleep Number. We'll be sticking with that from now on.

Before we bought the last innerspring, I talked to a co-worker who had a Tempurpedic. He and his wife liked it at first, then began to voice the same complaints as FriedEagle. Hearing it was hot was enough for my wife to say no way.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can only recommend Sleep Number. Best mattress I've ever had by a huge margin. I do put a thin memory foam on top that provides a bit of extra luxury. Mine's around 14 years old and as good as the day I bought it. Since it's air filled, it's not possible for it to sag, etc. I've had no leaks. The only issue I have had is the adjustment remotes (wired on my model) - they both have missing led segments on the display number, so hard to tell what number you're on. I never change it anyway, and if I did, I'd adjust based on feel, not the number.

Mine is about 5 years, so no wires on the remote. I bet you can buy new ones from them. I know you can even by new foam and tops should you ever need them. I generally sleep at 45, but if my back starts hurting I bump it up to 55 for a few days and that fixes me right up (generally)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife has health issues, which is why I went with the split king adjustable base. That way, she could elevate without me having to, also. The two adjustable bases cost more than the mattresses.

I'm considering buying a new mattress but I don't trust these memory foam and latex mattresses for durability if they're anything like the pillows. Any thoughts by someone that has used them?
I have a sleep sense brand mattress that combines foam and springs. I love it. I've only had it for about 2 years at this point, so I don't know about the longevity, but it's warrantied for 10 years.

Mine is about 5 years, so no wires on the remote. I bet you can buy new ones from them. I know you can even by new foam and tops should you ever need them. I generally sleep at 45, but if my back starts hurting I bump it up to 55 for a few days and that fixes me right up (generally)

Yep, I'm sure I can. I just haven't bothered to check on it yet. 45-55 is my range as well.

Howabout bed sheets? Cotton vs polyester. I really want white bed sheets but am concerned about cleaning them. What is easier to clean cotton or polyester?

You couldn't give me a polyester sheet. Hot, sticky, and they grab the rough skin on my feet. Plus they bunch up. Cotton all the way for me.

It should be easy to keep white sheets clean. A frequent hot water wash with some oxygen bleach or a touch of chlorine bleach should keep the stains and bacteria in check. It is nasty to think about, but otherwise sweat and skin shedding provide an ideal environment.

Top Bottom