What's new

Karve Bison vs. Overland AL

I've got a Henson AL13+, and I love it. However, I'd like to find something more efficient, but just as smooth. I'm now considering an aluminum Karve or the Henson++, but I've never been able to see, hold, or try an aluminum Karve. Any thoughts on the Karve Bison vs. the Overlander aluminum vs. the Henson AL13+? Thanks.

I’ve had all of these and would recommend just sticking with Henson and getting the ++. I’m a Karve fan and have several overlanders and have owned a Bison. If you love the Henson then I would say the ++ will give you exactly what you’re looking for. The Karves are great too if you’re just looking to try something different.

I have both. The Bison is only in Aluminum right now. I pair mine with the Karve Knopf Pommel 3.25’ shorter handle.

I actually prefer the Bison. Same efficiency for the most part and even smoother than the Overlander. It’s a better head design imo. Great razor and looking forward to Chris coming out with a SS Bison.

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg
IMG_1090.jpeg

I had the opportunity to meet the Karve Guy Chris at Phoenix Wet Shave Meetup, we spoke, and I mention you not good at replying to e-mails.

There guy was honest, explained staff problems, and basically spending time product quality product is top priority. We honestly go's a long way, and he is 2.5 person operation focused on build best razor, business is good, so correspondence is not priority #1.

We also talked about machines, machine process, and I get feeling guy is all about QC. He mention he and Matt, the host of AZ meetup had done u-tube, and it finally came out a week or so ago.

It the U-Tube answers questions about Overlander v/s Bison, yes I know some people do not like RE, Matt, and I say WARNING then do not watch this u-tube as I do not wish to upset you.

I have actually watched U-Tube Twice, as Chris talks about both Razor, explains the differences, and he is the expert on Karve.

Enjoy The U-Tube.

I have both. The Bison is only in Aluminum right now. I pair mine with the Karve Knopf Pommel 3.25’ shorter handle.

I actually prefer the Bison. Same efficiency for the most part and even smoother than the Overlander. It’s a better head design imo. Great razor and looking forward to Chris coming out with a SS Bison.

View attachment 1816781
View attachment 1816782View attachment 1816783
I can't argue with your assessment of the Bison. It's a smooth razor, especially against the grain. Its head design is like a sports car to the Overlander sedan. If I could blend both razors together it would be mostly the Bison with the surface area of the Overlander's safety bar.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the Overlander, use it exclusively. This thread, especially @vtmax post of comparison, has me on the edge of ordering a Bison. Definitely seems like a great razor, and in my wheelhouse for sure.

I appreciate the info folks!
I recently compared the 2.
Only one shave so far with the Bison, but first impressions were:

The Bison is more efficient, with a touch more blade feel(though I’m not quite sure I fully understand what “blade feel” means lol).

The Overlander is a little more comfortable(or smooth,gentle).

I like the Bison shave angle better, and I prefer the head design and size (slightly smaller) as well.
Looks wise, I prefer the Overlander handle, but function wise both are great and have equally good grip.

Need more shaves with the Bison before I can further assess it, but both are great razors and I’m happy to own them both.

Also, I think it’s worth pointing out-

Some find the Bison is a little smoother than the Overlander and a tad less efficient, while others (like myself) find the opposite- that the Bison is more efficient and the Overlander is a little smoother.

I dont think it’s a case of whose right or wrong, I think it speaks to how close they are and how both of these razors effortlessly combine smoothness and efficiency.
I can’t imagine anyone who likes one of them not liking the other.

As @DesertIguana pointed out this morning (thanks!!) the Overlander just got a price increase. I don't see the same on the Bison, unless my memory is worse than I thought. The difference is now $51CAD (or $37 USD). Increasing the gap by $17 USD will absolutely steer folks to the Bison, I'd imagine. Especially considering the warm reception the Bison is getting. I may need to finally pull the trigger and buy a Bison.

(Fwiw, I don't think this was done maliciously on purpose... though re-reading my post it may sound that way. In fact, I think Chris invented the Bison to have a cost effective option, knowing inflation was going to be a menace to his business. Kudos to him!)

As @DesertIguana pointed out this morning (thanks!!) the Overlander just got a price increase. I don't see the same on the Bison, unless my memory is worse than I thought. The difference is now $51CAD (or $37 USD). Increasing the gap by $17 USD will absolutely steer folks to the Bison, I'd imagine. Especially considering the warm reception the Bison is getting. I may need to finally pull the trigger and buy a Bison.

(Fwiw, I don't think this was done maliciously on purpose... though re-reading my post it may sound that way. In fact, I think Chris invented the Bison to have a cost effective option, knowing inflation was going to be a menace to his business. Kudos to him!)
FYI I ordered a Bison on 3/29 and was given a ship by date of April 5th but it still hasn't shipped. I emailed 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet. I am not impatient but I like to keep an eye out for items being delivered so we will see...

FYI I ordered a Bison on 3/29 and was given a ship by date of April 5th but it still hasn't shipped. I emailed 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet. I am not impatient but I like to keep an eye out for items being delivered so we will see...
That's not unreasonable at all. That's 11 days from order to email (4 days after expected shipping day). I'd also be curious. Hopefully you get a response soon, or even better, a shipping notice. 👍

Karve makes some amazing Razors... Well loved in the community. However, Chris is also notorious for being slow in responding to customer communications. I've seen pages of discussion on it, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. Nonetheless, hope things work out for you soon.

Well believe the Overlander went from $91.00 to $109.58 in Brass or Aluminum, the SS went from $175.00 to $192.59 if my member serves me correctly.

Canada, and USA both are having price increase from Apples, to Eggs, even Gasoline. We can not do much except budget, and when in parking lot look down. Why people put hands in pockets n purses for car keys, hooking and dropping loose change on black top.

**Razor Emporium has Stainless Steel and Brass Overlanders in stock as of yesterday, DISCOUNT CODE. SHOP15 gets you 15% off.

Last edited:
That's not unreasonable at all. That's 11 days from order to email (4 days after expected shipping day). I'd also be curious. Hopefully you get a response soon, or even better, a shipping notice. 👍

Karve makes some amazing Razors... Well loved in the community. However, Chris is also notorious for being slow in responding to customer communications. I've seen pages of discussion on it, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. Nonetheless, hope things work out for you soon.
I think the delay for the Bison may have more to do with the price increase for the Overlander. I suspect there aren't enough hours in a day to meet all his demand. Perhaps the Overlander increase may quell a little bit of the demand. The Bison is certainly worth the wait.

I think the delay for the Bison may have more to do with the price increase for the Overlander. I suspect there aren't enough hours in a day to meet all his demand. Perhaps the Overlander increase may quell a little bit of the demand. The Bison is certainly worth the wait.
I absolutely agree. I ordered my first aluminum OL from Karve (2023 some time?). It was listed as Made to Order I believe, at the time. So, I knew it was going to take weeks/months. I just decided I wanted it and I would put in the order and forget about it until such time that I got notification. It took a long time, but I'm happy with the decision and even picked up a backup on yhe BST.

However, I think in @Jaybyrd situation, it's worth the check. Ready to ship status should be quick. Thus, you're probably right... Chris is just inundated with sales. With the new-ish Bison, the brand new coating (glacial?), and maybe some extra OL orders from pre-cost increase... He's a busy boy. Lol.

I'm sure it'll all work out and settle down for folks. Just a matter of time.

As I said and will say again I met Chris at AZWet Shave meetup in February, being blunt I mentioned I had e-mail him several times, with no reply. He admitted he is not great at returning emails.

His excuse was building Razor, filling Orders, and last he Personally Inspected EACH RAZOR Leaving shop for QUALITY, is his TOP PRIORITY.

Also said he has one FT Helper, one PT Helper, and is busy. No one in Canada like USA is banging on his door to work, …or become apprentice…..SAD.

I liked the guy as he was no BS, and Hones IMHO. Believe he is driven to build and ship to his customer & one US Deal nothing but #1 Quality Products.

Karve is brand no one seems to complain about, the Razor seldom make the SubForum for Sales, Trades, so I assume they are solid keepers.

Top Bottom