What's new

Karve Bison vs. Overland AL

A message from Chris on the Karve IG page:

IMG_4665.jpeg

Got a chance to try the Bison the other day. Unlike most folks, it just didn't do it for me. I definitely felt the blade more, and thought it was a good shave, it lacked the joy I get from the Overlander.

I'm very glad I had the chance to try it, as it just makes me appreciate the Overlander that much more.

Happy Friday folks!

Got a chance to try the Bison the other day. Unlike most folks, it just didn't do it for me. I definitely felt the blade more, and thought it was a good shave, it lacked the joy I get from the Overlander.

I'm very glad I had the chance to try it, as it just makes me appreciate the Overlander that much more.

Happy Friday folks!
Would you say the Overlander is more aggressive than the Bison? I chose the Bison because I thought it was a bit less aggressive (on paper) for a Newb but also for the price point. Mine is on the way from Canada as we type :)

It took me four shaves to figure out how to use the Overlander. I fell in love with it on that fourth shave. The Bison took me a lot longer. I think it was mainly because I wasn't used to wielding an aluminum razor.

From the first few shaves I would have considered the Bison more aggressive. But as I got accustomed to it. First by switching the handle with my SS Overlander handle, to settle down my shaving strokes. And then moving on to the aluminum handle. I got better and better at wielding it. I now would not use the word "aggressive" when describing the Bison.

I consider the Bison just as gentle as the Overlander. Yet consider the Bison a hair more efficient. It's funny, the specs would say otherwise. But I think it has to do with the way the Bison head bends and clamps the blade. If you look closely at the Overlander, it only clamps the blade at two points (1/3 in from each side). And it doesn't bend the blade as agressively. By comparison, the Bison has five points of contact near the blade edge. I think the extra points of contact and the more aggressive bending of the blade account for that smigeon of more efficiency.

One thing that really stood out to me when using the Bison is its against the grain pass. Especially the fools pass in the mustache area. It's like slicing through butter with a hot knife. For me, it edges past the Overlander in this regard. And we all know the Overlander excels ATG. But the Bison, Oh my.

Now add in the notches to shave around the nostrils and the Bison edges past the Overlander again.

I love the Overlander and will never part with it. But I give the overall edge to the Bison. It's an absolute pleasure to use. But if you're like me, you need to give it time to get used to it.

Thank you for the explanation, that helps put things into perspective for me. I am still new so my biggest issue currently is trying to tame the pressure used. I have had great results with Henson (aluminum) but I always feel like I need to add more pressure than with the Rockwell 6S lets say. Can't wait to try the Bison out and let you guys know how it goes. One last question. I haven't used many blades so far but would you suggest GSB, Astra, or Feather to start off with in the Bison? Thanks!

I always loved the GSB, especially in the 6s. I'm not sure I've used it in the Bison, but it should work fine. Regarding pressure -- I'd focus less on pressure and more on maintaining the razor cutting angle. If you focus on the razor angle more, you might find that you will need less pressure. Also, shave with your arm and not your wrist (this will be a good habit to obtain for the long run).

Not much I can add to the above. @NotBloomingAL pretty much nailed it.

I will stress that the Bison worked well, and my results were simply biased by the fact that I don't like blade feel. The Overlander excels at giving you a shave without really feeling like your getting a shave. This makes my uber sensitive skin happy.

Unless you are like me, and hate the feel/ sound / etc of the blade you will be just fine. In fact, the Bison is such a hit, Chris can't keep them in stock.

I always loved the GSB, especially in the 6s. I'm not sure I've used it in the Bison, but it should work fine. Regarding pressure -- I'd focus less on pressure and more on maintaining the razor cutting angle. If you focus on the razor angle more, you might find that you will need less pressure. Also, shave with your arm and not your wrist (this will be a good habit to obtain for the long run).
Maybe it's just me, but my focus is on my fingertips, and all movements stem from an awareness of them. It's the reason I'm so picky about handles. If a handle feels insecure (or otherwise imbalanced), I'll grip it more tightly and lose sensitivity.

Ultimately, of course, the entire chain, up to and including your shoulder is involved, but if I focus anywhere, it's at my fingertips.

I think we're saying the same thing, only describing it differently.

... Thom

Maybe it's just me, but my focus is on my fingertips, and all movements stem from an awareness of them. It's the reason I'm so picky about handles. If a handle feels insecure (or otherwise imbalanced), I'll grip it more tightly and lose sensitivity.

Ultimately, of course, the entire chain, up to and including your shoulder is involved, but if I focus anywhere, it's at my fingertips.

I think we're saying the same thing, only describing it differently.

... Thom
I get that. Sometimes a shave stroke will begin rough, like when I shave from the corner of my mouth following my lip. The roughness is sometimes the shaving angle, other times I may be holding the razor too firm and not letting the safety bar float against the contour of the skin. But I always check both. So yeah, the fingers tips do play a significant role.

Top Bottom