What's new

Shavemac 3 Band vs Shavemac 3 Band D01

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am considering ordering a custom Shavemac in three band silvertip. I don't know if I'll order one, but time is short, and I'd better get a move on if I am going to be able to pull the trigger.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the Shavemac D01 3 band vs the Shavemac non-D01 3 band.

My collection is rich and deep when it comes to two bands and Manchurians.

I have only a few three band brushes, and like them, too, and am considering getting just one more.

Thanks for any help, pointers, advice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim,

If you like your 2023 Semogue LE 3 band you will like the D01 3 band knots. They are dense with a firm backbone and soft tips. I find them denser, firmer and softer tipped than my Simpsons Chubbies in Super. There was some scritch but that disappeared after about 4 or 5 shaves.

IMG_20240223_133541.jpg

L to R: Chubby1 Super, D01 22/46 Fan, D01 22/46 Flat, D01 24/50, Semogue 2023 LE
IMG_20240223_133501.jpg

I have not tried the regular 3 band but I do have a finest and the backbone and density are nowhere near the D01 3 bands.

I ordered backups of the D01 22/46 and D01 24/50 and a 3 regular 3 band 24/48 but they are in customs right now. Hopefully they show up on Monday so I can compare the regular 3 band offering.

Cheers.

I have both and I like them both. If I had to chose I would probably go with the three band D01, just because the regular three band is similar to other brushes from other brands, while the D01 is more "unique". Mine too had some scritch and I felt it was a little more rigid than what I like but after few shaves the scritch has disappeared and the backbone is quite right. My recommendation however would be not to go with a shorter loft than the one that is recommended in the configurator. I have a 30mm with a 60mm loft and it is perfect, Bernd had suggested 58mm but I think it would have been too short.

This was mine this morning: Silvertip D01 30x60

I have both and I like them both. If I had to chose I would probably go with the three band D01, just because the regular three band is similar to other brushes from other brands, while the D01 is more "unique". Mine too had some scritch and I felt it was a little more rigid than what I like but after few shaves the scritch has disappeared and the backbone is quite right. My recommendation however would be not to go with a shorter loft than the one that is recommended in the configurator. I have a 30mm with a 60mm loft and it is perfect, Bernd had suggested 58mm but I think it would have been too short.

Great brush! Is your 30x60 a bulb? I went with a shorter loft than the configurator for my fans and really enjoy the brushes. Its funny how YMMV lofts can be. 🍻

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shavemac30mm.RED.D01.640..png

That is one beautiful brush. I love the color. Ruby Red?

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about loft and shape yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim,

If you like your 2023 Semogue LE 3 band you will like the D01 3 band knots. They are dense with a firm backbone and soft tips. I find them denser, firmer and softer tipped than my Simpsons Chubbies in Super. There was some scritch but that disappeared after about 4 or 5 shaves.

View attachment 1800970
L to R: Chubby1 Super, D01 22/46 Fan, D01 22/46 Flat, D01 24/50, Semogue 2023 LE
View attachment 1800971

I have not tried the regular 3 band but I do have a finest and the backbone and density are nowhere near the D01 3 bands.

I ordered backups of the D01 22/46 and D01 24/50 and a 3 regular 3 band 24/48 but they are in customs right now. Hopefully they show up on Monday so I can compare the regular 3 band offering.

Cheers.

Thanks. I particularly appreciate you linking my thoughts to the Racing Green brush. I looked for information about the brush's loft.

1708725097079.png

Is everything I found correct? Maybe not but I'm too lazy to measure the loft so I'll say it is 53 mm.

Is there a general consensus concerning loft height with the Shavemac three bands? I notice a preference for lofts of 2:1 or more.

(Yeah, I'm kidding about "general consensus.")

I was leaning towards the D01 and still am. That's assuming I decide to buy a new brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks. I particularly appreciate you linking my thoughts to the Racing Green brush. I looked for information about the brush's loft.

View attachment 1801031

Is everything I found correct? Maybe not but I'm too lazy to measure the loft so I'll say it is 53 mm.

Is there a general consensus concerning loft height with the Shavemac three bands? I notice a preference for lofts of 2:1 or more.

(Yeah, I'm kidding about "general consensus.")

I was leaning towards the D01 and still am. That's assuming I decide to buy a new brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That looks right, well except its 3 band Silvertip, not boar or Finest.

I measured mine when I got it and put it in my spreadsheet. My calipers are not great, nor am I necessarily proficient in using them but I recorded a 27mm knot and 51mm loft.

My D01 3 band is was ordered as a 24/50 but when I measure it, its actually 26mm at handle exit and 50mm loft. I try to keep my fan brushes at a 1:2 ratio, but do enjoy a 1:1.9 ratio too.

If you go with a bulb, I would follow @Omega48 advice because short lofted bulbs tend to be stiff in my experience and the D01 3 bands have good backbone.

My Shavemac 24/48 2 band has less back bone and density than my 24/50 D01 3 band.

I am a bit biased though, because the D01 3 band knots are my favourite. They tick all of the boxes for me!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shavemac30mm.RED.D01.640..png

It is called Red Dragon.

Ah, yes, makes sense. Thanks.

That looks right, well except its 3 band Silvertip, not boar or Finest.

I agree.

I measured mine when I got it and put it in my spreadsheet. My calipers are not great, nor am I necessarily proficient in using them but I recorded a 27mm knot and 51mm loft.

My D01 3 band is was ordered as a 24/50 but when I measure it, its actually 26mm at handle exit and 50mm loft. I try to keep my fan brushes at a 1:2 ratio, but do enjoy a 1:1.9 ratio too.

Most brushes have a nominal size which is about 2 mm less than the knot's size at its exit from the handle.

If you go with a bulb, I would follow @Omega48 advice because short lofted bulbs tend to be stiff in my experience and the D01 3 bands have good backbone.

Very good point. Thanks.

My Shavemac 24/48 2 band has less back bone and density than my 24/50 D01 3 band.

Much appreciated!

I am a bit biased though, because the D01 3 band knots are my favourite. They tick all of the boxes for me!

This is very helpful to me. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom