What's new

MdC vs Pannacrema

I know there was a thread a while ago about this but it seems time for some fresh eyes.

Wondering if anyone has compared these head to head recently? Heck those of you who have only tried one of them should also comment.

They are both simple soaps, with the Pannacrema seeming include some extra Shea Butter and Calendula, but otherwise the ingredients are pretty much the same or similar.

The thread below seems to suggest MdC can be drying:

Do the butters in Pannacrema help with that?

Which lathers better?

Which do you prefer?

All types of analysis on one or both are welcome.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion,

1. MdC lathers quicker
2. PannaCrema is a tad slicker
3. PannaCrema has superior post-shave qualities
4. The scent of Nuavia Blu is heavenly; thus I prefer it.
Do you use the instructions from the PannaCrema site:
  • Soak your brush in hot water for some minutes
  • Shake the brush to allow all the water to drip off of it
  • Take out exactly 3 grams of product
  • Spread it in a bowl and add exactly 7 grams of water in two stages
  • Whirl the brush in the bowl to slightly whip a cream
  • Thoroughly apply on your wet skin.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
  • Take out exactly 3 grams of product
  • Spread it in a bowl and add exactly 7 grams of water in two stages
I have never been that precise with soap and water. I measure by dabs and drops and go by feel and sight.

I think I will make Pannacrema Rossa my first soap purchase when I run out in about 2026 or so and I'm allowed to re-up by the terms of the restraints and sabbaticals I'm in.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have never been that precise with soap and water. I measure by dabs and drops and go by feel and sight.

I think I will make Pannacrema Rossa my first soap purchase when I run out in about 2026 or so and I'm allowed to re-up by the terms of the restraints and sabbaticals I'm in.

My brain is too chaotic to be that precise. ;)

I was just curious to see if their instructions worked. :)

These are two of my favorites. The scents of MdC (I've got all five) are fairly simple, straightforward and elegant. The Nuavia Rosso, Blu and Verde are more complex, like colognes, but amazing--Rosso and Blu are two of my favorite soap scents. The MdC lathers easier in my hand. In fact, it's the easiest lathering soap in my den. I find the lather effectiveness of both to be the same and superior. I've heard about the drying quality of MdC from many, but I personally don't experience it. Can't go wrong with either, but MdC is my favorite soap.

I don’t think I could add much, the actual shave performance I find similar.
MDC lathers at the touch of a bristle - the nuavia is not difficult, just not as easy. I have the early versions and have never measured soap or water to lather.
MDC lasts longer as a soap if that’s a concern.
aftershave Feeling - the nuavia is awesome. I do hope they release some post shave items.
blu and Rosso are also my favorites.

Own soap from both. Here is my quick comparison and preference...

I am not a fan of the fragrance of either (Nuavia Blu or MdC Original), but have a slight preference for the Nuavia.

Lathering is much quicker with the MdC, but the Nuavia is much more dense (almost silk-like), and much more slick.

Post shave feel is much better with the Nuavia Blu.

Value probably goes towards the MdC, as it is a much harder soap and will last a lot longer (and both are near equally very pricey).

Overall, while I like the MdC, I love the performance of the Nuavia and would pick it easily of the two.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've used both and agree with what has been said already.

The scent of Blu is amazing, as is MdC Fougere.

Tried a sample of Pannacrema Nuavia and MdC, ended up with 4 jars of MdC. I prefer all characteristics of MdC and seems like much better 'value'. The skin conditioning properties I got from Pannacrema made my skin feel tacky, MdC always leaves me smooth and hydrated..

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have MdC Original and Nuavia Blu currently.

The slickness of MdC is better for me.

The cushion of Nuavia is better for me.

The post shave depends on the day and how my skin is feeling. If my skin is feeing good, it prefers MdC. If my skin is feeling dry, it prefers Nuavia.

Overall, I use MdC more frequently but I love Nuavia. Would like a jar of Rossa this winter.

In my opinion,

1. MdC lathers quicker
2. PannaCrema is a tad slicker
3. PannaCrema has superior post-shave qualities
4. The scent of Nuavia Blu is heavenly; thus I prefer it.

Thanks for the information.

Is the lathering process for Pannacrema really as complicated as what the site suggests. I would rather stick to just swirling a damp brush in the tub, loading it and then face lathering than using the scientific methodology that the instructions suggest .. :D

Just ordered the PannaCrema Nuavia Blu. :)

Looking forward to trying it. :)

Where did you order it from, if you do not mind me asking.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks for the information.

Is the lathering process for Pannacrema really as complicated as what the site suggests. I would rather stick to just swirling a damp brush in the tub, loading it and then face lathering than using the scientific methodology that the instructions suggest .. :D

Where did you order it from, if you do not mind me asking.
PannaCrema is the ONLY soap I have that I don’t just load from the puck/jar. Because it is quite soft and because the jar is quite narrow, I just scoop some out (I don’t measure) and smear it in an old wooden bowl.

Top Bottom