What's new

MdC vs Pannacrema

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Interestingly, that bit about the grams is spelled out in the site, though I would never do it either.

Sounds like a great soap. Have the PC Labdano, has a great resinous scent.

AA

I don't follow PannaCrema's lathering instructions. Way too specific for me. Like others, I scoop a little bit out of the jar and press it into a Timeless lathering bowl. Then I add a few drops of water and let it sit while I shower. After showering, I begin to lather the soap and add water as necessary until I achieve the desired consistency.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Part of the fun is solving the lathering equation every morning - and nothing throws it off more than switching between badger/boar and synthetic!

AA

Do you use the instructions from the PannaCrema site:
  • Soak your brush in hot water for some minutes
  • Shake the brush to allow all the water to drip off of it
  • Take out exactly 3 grams of product
  • Spread it in a bowl and add exactly 7 grams of water in two stages
  • Whirl the brush in the bowl to slightly whip a cream
  • Thoroughly apply on your wet skin.
I'm a heavy soap user and find that many people on this forum get more shaves from a given container than I do. Following the instructions from PannaCrema would yield only 67 shaves from a 200 gram container. As heavy as I load, I was surprised that I averaged about 2 grams per shave load directly from the container so I get about 100 shaves. With MdC I get far fewer shaves than many but I have averaged 135 shaves per 200 grams or 1.48 so I get more shaves from MdC partly due to its curing process but also that it only contains soap with no added butters. That said, I love both soaps and get similar performance from both with MdC yielding a cleaner, easier to rinse finish while Nuavia provides slightly better post-shave results. Out of my 200 different soaps, Nuavia Blu is my favorite scent. I think it is spectacular. I also really like MdC Fougere which is in my top 5 scents. I love both soaps so much that they nearly converted this diehard tallow guy.

I have MdC Agrumes and PannaCrema Nuavia Blu and love them both. Honestly the one I like the most is the one I used most recently. I've tried picking one but can't. I agree with those above who say the MdC lathers quicker and rinses easier while the PC has a bit better post-shave feel. It's a classic B&B get both answer, I guess. Your wallet may not thank you but your face will.

Question for the PannaCrema users? Given the soft
PannaCrema is the ONLY soap I have that I don’t just load from the puck/jar. Because it is quite soft and because the jar is quite narrow, I just scoop some out (I don’t measure) and smear it in an old wooden bowl.

So is this primarily for just loading the brush up or do you end up bowl lathering? As someone who prefers to face lather I am not sure how much I would struggle with the process with PannaCrema.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Question for the PannaCrema users? Given the soft

So is this primarily for just loading the brush up or do you end up bowl lathering? As someone who prefers to face lather I am not sure how much I would struggle with the process with PannaCrema.
No, just for loading the brush. I always face lather.

To be clear you can brush load with PC just fine. Just don’t overload, it is soft—doesn’t take many swirls to load it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only have experience with these MdC soap samples... really wanted to love these soaps.
The scent's from these soaps are awesome except for the "original". I didn't care much for that one.

I went through each sample twice and found them to have less lubrication qualities compared to "my" top tier soaps.
Wouldn't say it dried my skin, I found that you HAD to apply more lather to do touchup's otherwise the residual slickness simply wasn't there compared to other soaps. YMMV
For now MdC will remain in sample format.

There are very good reviews about PannaCrema Nuàvia especially the Blu. As soon as it becomes available here in the US, I'll certainly pull the trigger on it. Wish someone sold a sample :)

btw my top tier/performing soaps in no particular order are DG, WK, Grooming Dept, Zingari, A&E and M&M

IMG_0450.JPG

only have experience with these MdC soap samples... really wanted to love these soaps.
The scent's from these soaps are awesome except for the "original". I didn't care much for that one.

I went through each sample twice and found them to have less lubrication qualities compared to "my" top tier soaps.
Wouldn't say it dried my skin, I found that you HAD to apply more lather to do touchup's otherwise the residual slickness simply wasn't there compared to other soaps. YMMV

There are very good reviews about PannaCrema Nuàvia especially the Blu. As soon as it becomes available here in the US, I'll certainly pull the trigger on it. Wish someone sold a sample :)

btw my top tier/performing soaps in no particular order are DG, WK, Grooming Dept, Zingari, A&E and M&M

View attachment 1120394

You can get samples from Shavedash. I got mine shipped to the US. Nice fellow and nice packaging.

View attachment 1120394
I have just about finished by first MdC sample (7 uses), which was the Original. And my thoughts are pretty aligned with yours. The only area where I feel MdC has excelled is that it lathers a few seconds quicker than the tallow soaps I use as well. The two big issues I have had with MdC have been:

Slickness: Just not as slick as the other soaps. Felt it while shaving.
Drying out: Maybe just me but the lather just dries out on my face before the pass is done.

I am interesting in trying the Pannacrema Nauvia Blu as well just to see how it performs for me. I do not have a massive experience with soaps but to me DG, Zingari Man, Stirling, M&M, B&M all were slicker than the MdC.

To me price was not a bit factor because I do know that the number of uses with MdC are greater than the artisans I mentioned above. And I knew post-shave was going to be lacking but again, I have AS and creams/balms for that so did not worry as much about that. Just that the performance was not quite what I expected compared to my current soaps.

You can get samples from Shavedash. I got mine shipped to the US. Nice fellow and nice packaging.

Thanks for that info.

Went ahead and ordered one sample of each Nuavia: Nera, Blue, Rossa and Verde. I am honestly a little nervous about trying to figure out how to lather its soap (never used soft soaps for shaving) so having more samples would help me figure out a scent I like as well as how to build the lather.

Hopefully.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks for that info.

Went ahead and ordered one sample of each Nuavia: Nera, Blue, Rossa and Verde. I am honestly a little nervous about trying to figure out how to lather its soap (never used soft soaps for shaving) so having more samples would help me figure out a scent I like as well as how to build the lather.

Hopefully.
Nothing to fear — just spread some product in a bowl, dampen the brush and just start swirling it around the bowl, adding water if necessary to build the lather to your liking.

Nothing to fear — just spread some product in a bowl, dampen the brush and just start swirling it around the bowl, adding water if necessary to build the lather to your liking.
You make it sound so simple .. :D

I think the biggest challenge will be figuring out how much of the product I need to scoop into the bowl. I think I am getting better with building lather and figuring out how much water to add, etc. Still ways to go but I would rate my technique acceptable .. :)

I have just about finished by first MdC sample (7 uses), which was the Original. And my thoughts are pretty aligned with yours. The only area where I feel MdC has excelled is that it lathers a few seconds quicker than the tallow soaps I use as well. The two big issues I have had with MdC have been:

Slickness: Just not as slick as the other soaps. Felt it while shaving.
Drying out: Maybe just me but the lather just dries out on my face before the pass is done.

I am interesting in trying the Pannacrema Nauvia Blu as well just to see how it performs for me. I do not have a massive experience with soaps but to me DG, Zingari Man, Stirling, M&M, B&M all were slicker than the MdC.

To me price was not a bit factor because I do know that the number of uses with MdC are greater than the artisans I mentioned above. And I knew post-shave was going to be lacking but again, I have AS and creams/balms for that so did not worry as much about that. Just that the performance was not quite what I expected compared to my current soaps.

seems our experiences with MdC are pretty much spot on. I've not tried Stirling soap before but now I'm intrigued... considering you've thrown it amongst those other awesome soaps... it must be spectacular :)

Although MdC hasn't quite lived up to expectation for me, I would still suggest others try it out.
Perhaps start with a sample (Maggards has some) before committing to a full tub.

seems our experiences with MdC are pretty much spot on. I've not tried Stirling soap before but now I'm intrigued... considering you've thrown it amongst those other awesome soaps... it must be spectacular :)

Although MdC hasn't quite lived up to expectation for me, I would still suggest others try it out.
Perhaps start with a sample (Maggards has some) before committing to a full tub.
Stirling is definitely a nice soap. And is relatively inexpensive to the other artisans. The most confusing thing about Stirling is the variety of scents they have. Its good to have choices but also confusing because you know 1 is not going to be enough .. ;)

Top Bottom