What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

09.05.22 - 9/31 (29% completed).

I was travelling these last few days and I did not have time to properly post. Still in!

Skipped my Sunday shave and therefore two days of growth today. And back at home so all equipment available!

Prep:
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC
Brush:
The lather king: Razorock Plissoft 400
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
KCG (2)
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide on the cheeks (NW-SE-SW) and horizontal on the neck (E-W)
XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE) and S-N on the neck
X/ATG - Slightly slanted on the neck (N-S) and SW-NE in the cheeks
ATG - Slightly slanted (W-E horizontal on the neck and S-N on the cheeks)
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
9.5/10 BBS
Comments:
The nickel Piccolo paired with a KCG blade transforms into a beast. First pass already at near CCS level and after the second pass I am at DFS. I continue my usual four passes as I really needed to feel smooth after the SAS Weekend shaves.

Ahh…BBS how I have missed you!

Have a great day everyone!

Tell us about the famed Green Cult, MiP?
Clean construction even if you see the CNC marks. Obviously it has a not so fine polish to keep the price down.
Great clamping, no chatter whatsoever yet bladefeel akin to the R41.
This is an efficient razor and given your taste there is a high probability that you will like it.
The stock handle is overlong and heavy which makes it a bit unwieldy. Even with a shorter/lighter handle the massive head will never be super nimble as it builds high and is massive as well.
The bladetabs are covered if this is important for you.

Rumors are that they will follow up with an OC and shorter handle.

What are the qualifications for GRUYERE??

I was too late to join the '2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2'.
My last shave related purchase was in december '21 but after a gentle mail it was a big no on my request to participate.

Is GRUYERE just a title, a goal or is there an existing thread?

Still in

Lather: Proraso Red
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Razor: Gold Dollar 208
Strop: Invisible Edge standard plus canvas backed hanging strop
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food, 30 laps on canvas & leather.

20220509_111224.jpg

Still in.

Monday morning shave after 3 days dwell.

Speick + Cremo Cooling
Omega Professional Boar
RR GC 68 OC + SB with Elite Razor Handle
Personna MedPrep (3) binned
Speick ASL

First pass was rather tuggy and uncomfortable, so changed the GC base plate from OC to the SB for a nice finish. Not the closest of shaves, so binned the MedPrep and aiming for better tomorrow.

GRUME : 5/16 (every other day shaver here)

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Maggard Synthetic SY24
Cream : Proraso White Croap
Razor : Fatip Lo Storto
Blade : Nacet (5)

It's been almost a year since I last had an all white Proraso shave, been missing the small of it.

With 2 days of work at the office back to back and needing to wear a mask, I decided to go for a CCS rather than SAS result. A bit of post shave irritation on the jaw line and a few nicks around the Adam Apple .

Next on will be the GSB blade, I shall see the difference in result.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.06.16 AM.png

What are the qualifications for GRUYERE??

I was too late to join the '2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2'.
My last shave related purchase was in december '21 but after a gentle mail it was a big no on my request to participate.

Is GRUYERE just a title, a goal or is there an existing thread?
As a survivor of the 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek challenge, I would say "Yes" to all three (title, goal, & thread). I haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet so please consider that when reading all that follows...

The GRUYERE occurs every year just as the GRUME occurs every month. Unlike the GRUME where you have until the middle of the current month to join, there is a very small window to sign up for the annual sabbatical. I've noticed the "rules" may change slightly from one year to the next, but the guidelines for 2022 can be found here.

I suggest you keep an eye on the 'General Shaving Discussion' forum in late December if you want to participate in the 2023 challenge. But until then, there will be another 7 wonderful and exciting GRUME events for you to enjoy. Good luck...

Last edited:
Top Bottom