What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I have the RR Hawk V2 and have used it twice-my first SE razor. Both times were kinda rough. I guess I need to focus more on blade angle. I will try a more focused shave this month.
I had to be very focused on my pressure. You have to use almost none. Those Feather AC blades are insanely sharp.

I was almost out of GRUME the first day last night. I had a pack of KAI AC blades in my Amazon cart and my wife placed an order for other stuff and also ordered the blades. I cancelled them immediately, thus continuing my restraint past the 24 hour mark. 👍

On the second day of GRUME...( to the tune of 12 Days Of Christmas)

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Blade: KAI (1)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower/warm water on face (+ see notes below)

Brush: Simpson1 Super Badger (++ see notes below)
Soap: Mitchell"s Wool Fat
Post Shave: Cremo Cooling (+++ see notes below)
Aftershave: Davidoff Cool Water

Summary: My primary objective this month is to focus on mindfulness while shaving at a leisurely pace. My second goal is to continue improving my technique. Third I always want to practice gratitude for my many blessings.
The shave was GREAT! I really like the Henson AL13. I think a Feather blade may be a better match for the Henson.

Notes:

+
For the pre shave, before the shower I added about a tablespoon of warm distilled water to the MWF to create bloom water.
After showering, I used the bloom water and the damp, not wet brush with just a couple extra swirls of soap to try as a pre shave. I left it thin and soupy on my face while mixing a real lather.

++ I presoaked the badger brush in warm distilled water during the shower.

+++ I mix small amounts various creams and serums in the palm of my hands and apply to my whole face, neck and ears. My wife calls me a mixologist.
I decided to list the most used post shave products in this post one time and not list much detail in future post:

RadiaPlex RX Gel
St. Ives Soft & Silky Coconut & Orchid Body Lotion
The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics
JJ Labs Gamma Polyglutamic Acid Serum
Savanah Bee Co. Royal Jelly Body Butter
Farm Stay All-In-One Honey Ampoule
Burts Bees Hydrating Gel Cream With Royal Jelly
I DO mix in various traditional aftershave balms for the cooling effects.

Still in.

It's not often that I am looking at someone else's GRUME shave picture and, instead of wondering whether I should try the stuff I don't have, I can say: hey, I have that stuff! I should use it in today's shave. It finally happened, though, with Doti B's summer lime shave post.
1619972846589.png

Lime shave cream and lime after shave balm, from a company known for their high-quality scents, means that I am still smelling like a freshly-scraped pile of lime zest as I type this.

On the bottom is the Big Kamisori used in today's shave, with a more typically-scaled kamisori above it, for scale. A wonderful, enjoyable shave, BBS cheeks and DFS neck with very little effort, and lots of happy contemplation of a truly excellent edge. I think I am used to adjusting for its greater size and mass. What I'm not quite used to is the pointy point; there was some alum glow from the places where I didn't quite treat the point with enough respect.

Seems like we straight razor shavers ought to have an advantage in the GRUME. Once you have a critical mass of straight razors, the only way you're likely to improve your shave with them is by getting better at dealing with their edge. That's worthy skill development. If you are a DE/SE shaver, though, it sure seems as though there are endless possible combinations of gear purchases that might really improve your shave. How do you know when to stop?

Still in.

It's not often that I am looking at someone else's GRUME shave picture and, instead of wondering whether I should try the stuff I don't have, I can say: hey, I have that stuff! I should use it in today's shave. It finally happened, though, with Doti B's summer lime shave post.
View attachment 1261087
Lime shave cream and lime after shave balm, from a company known for their high-quality scents, means that I am still smelling like a freshly-scraped pile of lime zest as I type this.

On the bottom is the Big Kamisori used in today's shave, with a more typically-scaled kamisori above it, for scale. A wonderful, enjoyable shave, BBS cheeks and DFS neck with very little effort, and lots of happy contemplation of a truly excellent edge. I think I am used to adjusting for its greater size and mass. What I'm not quite used to is the pointy point; there was some alum glow from the places where I didn't quite treat the point with enough respect.

Seems like we straight razor shavers ought to have an advantage in the GRUME. Once you have a critical mass of straight razors, the only way you're likely to improve your shave with them is by getting better at dealing with their edge. That's worthy skill development. If you are a DE/SE shaver, though, it sure seems as though there are endless possible combinations of gear purchases that might really improve your shave. How do you know when to stop?
Glad someone else appreciates Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream and balm. Very refreshing. Now if they made a parfum to go with it.....winner winner chicken dinner 🤣🤣🤣

Probably 1st time using CF Lime in a long time. It’s now the season for it though. Trumper Lime skin food and CF Lime ASB left skin feeling silky smooth.
I plan to add lime oil scents to my June bucket list. I am still content to enjoy what I have for the month of May.
GRUMEward!

Well, my May GRUME just became a breeze. Was gifted a pair of Simpson brushes as a belated birthday gift today! The synthetic has a few uses on it (my buddy didn’t quite jive with it) but the Colonel is brand new. Gave the synthetic a test run when I got home and it lathered great. Might take a few uses to dial it in and learn it as I had lather running down my arm and suds splattered everywhere but it felt a lot better on the face than the Muhle. Hopefully it splays easier over time. Can’t wait to give the badger a try, haven’t actually used a badger brush before.

Still in, 6.4% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Wizamet SI #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Took my time with the Game Changer, and got a BBS face and DFS neck.

I can't think of anything that I'm desperate to buy, so far.

If you are a DE/SE shaver, though, it sure seems as though there are endless possible combinations of gear purchases that might really improve your shave. How do you know when to stop?

You don't know for sure... but the better the result I'm getting with current DE, favourite blades and soap, the less likely it is that new kit will give me a step change. Diminishing returns have set in.

The Rockwell was a massive improvement over a cheap modern Wilkinson TTO or the plastic Classic, and better than the Merkur 23C.

By changing handle, the Game Changers can be made much lighter than the Rockwell without unbalancing them (which helped me a lot with trepid ATG shaving), and I find the slim CNC machined heads easier to use under the nose, so I've probably reached journey's end with DE functionality. Where else would it go?

(On the other hand, DE bling could run and run...)

I'm reasonably sure that shortcomings with my current results are now due to technique, not kit.

Still in but skipping some shaves do to life.

I blew a bunch of money getting my Italian scooters up and running in March and April. In May it’s bees. My parents always kept a few bee hives and now that they’ve moved in with my wife and me my Mom wants fresh honey and misses the bees (but not the beekeeping part.) They haven’t kept bees in over 20 years and I haven’t done any beekeeping in over 30. Anyway, the bees were ordered last October and now they’re here. Mom and Dad’s beekeeping equipment was all worn out or disposed of so I just finished a mad scramble to get everything ready and the bees in their hives with all new equipment. On the bright side, the bees were hauling pollen back to the hives today so I think they’ve settled in. They’ll probably all be dead in a month.

If you are a DE/SE shaver, though, it sure seems as though there are endless possible combinations of gear purchases that might really improve your shave. How do you know when to stop?

I’ve been DE shaving since 2004 or 05. I used my dad’s SuperSpeed or grandpa’s NEW LC. They both shaved perfectly fine and I think they’re both still great. I fell down the AD rabbit hole a couple of years ago while looking for blades. The issue I’ve finally come to terms with thanks to the GRUMES is I’ve never given my new hardware/software a fair shake. I’m on to the next thing before I’ve mastered the new thing I just purchased. I can shave my face and head in the dark with a cheap blade and hand soap using the SS or LC but I get bored with that awesome new razor and fancy soap after a week. I firmly believe that 99% of the gentleman that take part in the GRUMES already have incredibly great kit but don’t take the time to master it. The more kit I’ve mastered the less kit I think I need.

Top Bottom