What's new

Looking to Identify this Crown Stamp

I picked up this blade for $10 that came in a tin box. I haven't been able to identify the "F & W." nor the Crown Brand Stamp. I've assumed the handle is translucent horn (but then again, I'd assumed the handle on my last posting was ivory). If there are any sure fire ways of identifying the manufacturer or the scales (horn vs. synthetic) I'd be interested in the advice.
Blade in Tin Box 1.JPG
Blade in Tin Box 2.JPG

Looks like blonde horn.

Not too sure they’re rescuable to like new condition. The crack at the pivot pin won’t get better, but may not break off for decades... You could possibly soak them in needsfoot oil (confirm that in the restoration area) to rehydrate them, and perhaps sand and polish the delaminations away. The double pins at the wedge end doesn’t look great, and there’s a reason two are there. And looks to be done by someone with a couple nails, but it’s historical character, if you want to spin it positively.

But the blade looks good, and easily restored nicely.

If that were mine, and I wanted it showroom ready, I’d send it to Doc226.com, have him make new blonde horn scales in the same profile as the originals, lead wedge (probably what it has/had originally), and either polish the blade up myself, or have him do it too. Have him hone it and you’ll have a laser sharp Jnat edge on it too.

I find when celluloid is run under hot water it smells earthy. I’ve not had a bone or ivory handle yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, that is gorgeous I would be so elated to have that blade. Have you measured it(6/8 or 7/8)? Those scales do look like they may be junk due to that pivot crack, but maybe a master restoration expert like @Doc226 could weigh in. As for @KW Driver's suggestion of using needs-foot oil, this is a sound suggestion. I myself would leave her as close to god made her as possible. Hopefully you wont have a catastrophic scale failure in the future, but maybe you can get a few years out of the scales you have as opposed to dropping another $100 on new scales. If you're handy, a new set of scales could be fashioned by your own hand and then sent off to be pinned or you can learn yourself like I did.
No matter what you do, congratulations on the new razor, she is a beauty!
ImpartialMeagerEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

Thanks for all the advice. I've given the scales a smell (while they're dry) and they smell like dry straw, so I won't try it when they're wet.

As far as "Warranted" being the possible name of the brand, I'm starting to thing that's a possibility, but still convinced that F&W and the crown mean something.

I'll polish the blade and hone it but keep on the old scales. Sanding them a bit and the neatsfoot oil sounds good. I've found that a bit of Autosol, followed by an 8K and 12K stone and a bit of 30K chromiun oxide paste on a linen strop bring my blades to a shave ready state. The Joseph Stones in my earlier post and this blade are my two oldest, so keeping them intact feels right.

I've found that the Assay's Mark for Sheffield England were the following...
proxy.php
. I've found a few other crowns for Sheffield that look even more like the mark. Unfortunately no F&Ws, but a number of FWs.

The scales are horn for sure. The "Warranted" mark usually refers to 'Warranted Cast Steel' which was first used in the mid 1700s, you'll also see blades stamped Acier Fondue, which refers to the same thing. I don't recognize the F&W / Crown mark, I wonder if that is a 'brand' for retail, and not a makers mark.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@steveclarkus and I were discussing this razor last evening. I found some information about Schatt and Morgan Knives with a "F&W" which meant file and wire tested. Later Queen bought Schatt and Morgan. Queen uses the logo of a crown over the letter "Q".

Top Bottom