What's new

Mühle R41 GS Review - The "Daddy of Safety Razors"

Ditto. I've ordered two Muhle razors (r41 and r89) and both were very loosely secured in their cardboard boxes. Shipped had jostled them around, causing light scratches to form on the cap. No big deal because a few months of shaving will make its own scratches, but more padding and protection would have been nice. I understand that they may be trying to limit single-use plastics, which is commendable, but there are other environmentally friendly packaging methods that could have been used. Edwin Jagger, for example, carefully wraps their 89 in tissue paper.
No one present their razors as well as Gillette did
Agreed but my point was mostly about protecting the product inside with more cushion. It's a heavy razor. This is the inside of the box - that's how it arrived. Luckily nothing wrong (scratch, dent, etc).

View attachment 1640302

Surely, Mühle can do better by using thicker layers of material inside.
No one displays their
Agreed but my point was mostly about protecting the product inside with more cushion. It's a heavy razor. This is the inside of the box - that's how it arrived. Luckily nothing wrong (scratch, dent, etc).

View attachment 1640302

P

View attachment 1640302

Attachments

• IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
No one displays their razors as well as Gillette did

Hard to beat vintage Gillette presentation boxes.

For what it's worth, I reached out to Mühle about the R41 GS's flimsy box. They appreciated the feedback and said they have a newer box for their razors, something studier. The GS model fits and will be sold in it moving forward.

IMO, the R41 GS should come in no less than something like this:

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.28.50 PM.png

Yes, that's Mühle pen which retails for €25. While the $156-$174 R41 GS razor comes in that cheap box.

Hard to beat vintage Gillette presentation boxes.

For what it's worth, I reached out to Mühle about the R41 GS's flimsy box. They appreciated the feedback and said they have a newer box for their razors, something studier. The GS model fits and will be sold in it moving forward.

IMO, the R41 GS should come in no less than something like this:

View attachment 1665641

Yes, that's Mühle pen which retails for €25. While the $156-$174 R41 GS razor comes in that cheap box.
That's a fair point. I've been lucky in that all my Muhle razors have arrived in mint condition.

If you have thin hair, the GS is likely overkill

So I would say yes. I am thinking that thinner, lighter facial hair may not benefit from it.

Makes sense to me. I regularly use my R41 head. I have no problems or issues with using it as I would one of the '89 heads.

My facial hair is not heavy or thick. The R41 cuts through it very efficiently. Shave is usually ultra close. I really couldn't think of getting a closer shave?

If I do accidentally press on it, I can feel it scraping my face. So that is to be avoided. The same goes for the Rocca R94. I think based on your advice, I will stay with what I have at present.

My view is that the handle of a three-piece razor is largely irrelevant - you can always replace it with a better one. I have a whole bunch of brass, stainless, aluminium, and titanium handles. I generally prefer titanium handles, even on my vintage razors. I find vintage handles to be too small and fiddly, stainless steel handles too heavy and clumsy. YMMV.
While I agree about it being easy enough to switch the handle. I don't want to pay the price tag for the Muhle R41 GS unless I am going to use the handle. I do already also have handles I already own and prefer so I like it when the head only purchase is available like iKon, Rockwell, and Muhle does for the R41.

While I agree about it being easy enough to switch the handle. I don't want to pay the price tag for the Muhle R41 GS unless I am going to use the handle. I do already also have handles I already own and prefer so I like it when the head only purchase is available like iKon, Rockwell, and Muhle does for the R41.
I'm not sure I've read anybody saying they like the Muhle handles, stainless or otherwise. I don't think the GS is worth the extra money over the standard R41 anyway. I have a GS and I like it, but with hindsight, it was a waste of money when I already had an R41.

I don't think the GS is worth the extra money over the standard R41 anyway. I have a GS and I like it, but with hindsight, it was a waste of money when I already had an R41.
I agree completely. At only 5g more than the zamak head, the stainless version doesn't offer anything other than longevity for the added price (and maybe that's enough for some people, no judgement here). I'm not saying the stainless version should be drastically different, I'm just saying there isn't much practical difference despite the higher price. And the head isn't available by itself. And the handle sucks. I'm much happier with my stainless R41 clones than I am with the R41 GS, all things considered.

Top Bottom