What's new

Mühle R41 GS Review - The "Daddy of Safety Razors"

I have the R41 Black and was really disappointed with both the plastic handle and tame modern head version. I ask myself if the GS would be just a more expensive version of the same disappointment? Ok there's no plastic but the head looks just as boring. My goto for the open comb experience is my recently acquired aluminium Razorock SLOC. I can't see a future for the R41 in my collection so it could be heading for ebay.
I hear you. I too don't like the regular R41's handle. It does feel like plastic. As far as the head goes, and that in general, I don't like at it whether it's boring or not (it should still be built well) but if it does the job. The handle on the other hand is something I'd like to be, well, aesthetically pleasing.

I hear you. I too don't like the regular R41's handle. It does feel like plastic. As far as the head goes, and that in general, I don't like at it whether it's boring or not (it should still be built well) but if it does the job. The handle on the other hand is something I'd like to be, well, aesthetically pleasing.
Sure the R41 head does the job but as this is a bit of a hobby I was hoping for something special and didn't find it. I know special heads are out there because I have experienced it with the SLOC, 37C, etc. I agree this GS has a good looking handle very similar to my EJ 3one6. I still haven't quite worked out the relationship between Muhle and EJ eg are they just developing the products together, is one licensing from the other, is there any co-production, is it just historic, etc? One thing that does put me off both the GS and 3one6 is that the handle is not a single part and seems to be somehow glued together which according to Amazon reviews can fail after a while negating the expected longevity of investing in stainless steel.

Attachments

• EJbroken.jpg
    EJbroken.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 111
Sure the R41 head does the job but as this is a bit of a hobby I was hoping for something special and didn't find it. I know special heads are out there because I have experienced it with the SLOC, 37C, etc. I agree this GS has a good looking handle very similar to my EJ 3one6. I still haven't quite worked out the relationship between Muhle and EJ eg are they just developing the products together, is one licensing from the other, is there any co-production, is it just historic, etc? One thing that does put me off both the GS and 3one6 is that the handle is not a single part and seems to be somehow glued together which according to Amazon reviews can fail after a while negating the expected longevity of investing in stainless steel.

I can't agree more - the overall experience counts and it's not just function but form as well.

I don't know if there is a relation (historic and/or commercial) between Mühle and Edwin Jagger but that's a good question.

As far as the handle of the R41 GS goes, I am not sure if there was a first and/or previous iteration but the one I have is a one piece. I tried, hard, to see if I could unscrew the upper level from the rest to no avail. I went to amazon (USA) to read the reviews about it but see no mention of that. 85% rate it 5 stars and 15% rate it 4 stars. I am curious.

IMG_6806.jpg

As far as the handle of the R41 GS goes, I am not sure if there was a first and/or previous iteration but the one I have is a one piece. I tried, hard, to see if I could unscrew the upper level from the rest to no avail.
My 3one6 handle also looks like one piece, certainly not intended to be disassembled by the consumer, but from that Amazon UK review photo it does look like it's made from multiple parts and I suspect your GS might be too.

My 3one6 handle also looks like one piece, certainly not intended to be disassembled by the consumer, but from that Amazon UK review photo it does look like it's made from multiple parts and I suspect your GS might be too.

The R41 GS does not unscrew. I tried and can guaranteed that it does not.

You're saying that it does when you write "certainly not intended to be disassembled by the consumer" - could you confirm? Even if it did, and since the consumer cannot unscrew it like you say, how does it affect longevity?

If I understand you correctly, your argument that the R41 GS handle is not a one piece seems solely based on your own personal assumption: that there may be a link between Edwin Jagger and Mühle and thus, since the EJ unscrews, so should the R41 GS.

I went on Amazon UK for the R41 GS and the only two photos are one for the rose gold Zamak R41 (UK reviewer) and one of the R41 GS (italy).

I am trying to understand.

My view is that the handle of a three-piece razor is largely irrelevant - you can always replace it with a better one. I have a whole bunch of brass, stainless, aluminium, and titanium handles. I generally prefer titanium handles, even on my vintage razors. I find vintage handles to be too small and fiddly, stainless steel handles too heavy and clumsy. YMMV.

If I understand you correctly, your argument that the R41 GS handle is not a one piece seems solely based on your own personal assumption: that there may be a link between Edwin Jagger and Mühle and thus, since the EJ unscrews, so should the R41 GS.
The EJ stainless steel 3one6 handle does not unscrew into subparts it seems to eventually break with usage and has been somehow bonded together internally. When I look at mine in real life it's not obvious made from multiple parts but that picture I posted above of a broken 3one6 from an Amazon UK review seems to confirm it. My concern is that the Muhle seems to have the same or very similar top/middle parts of the handle so is also likely to be a 3 piece handle that might suffer a similar failure scenario so my comment is for longivity I would prefer the handle to be a single piece of metal.

The EJ stainless steel 3one6 handle does not unscrew into subparts it seems to eventually break with usage and has been somehow bonded together internally. When I look at mine in real life it's not obvious made from multiple parts but that picture I posted above of a broken 3one6 from an Amazon UK review seems to confirm it. My concern is that the Muhle seems to have the same or very similar top/middle parts of the handle so is also likely to be a 3 piece handle that might suffer a similar failure scenario so my comment is for longivity I would prefer the handle to be a single piece of metal.

Oh I see, the picture you were referring to on Amazon UK was about the EJ 3one6 stainless and not the Mühle R41 GS. Okay.

I now understand what you mean with the unscrew vs potential failure, thanks for clarifying. It's very possible that it's the same design and that it may suffer the same faith as the EJ 3one6 but I couldn't tell you. I just can't make such conclusion but on hypothetical assumptions (that there may be a link between EJ and Mühle). I am curious and will reach out to Mühle.

that there may be a link between EJ and Mühle
Looking at a decade old interview with the founder of EJ he said of the DE89/R89 "It was Andreas Muller — new to the Muhle Company at the time — and myself who teamed up to search for potential contract manufacturers before we started to design a two-part head that suited both company’s needs. It was a very exciting time as we exchanged numerous sketches and CAD drawings with alteration after alteration. Ultimately my determination to keep improving the underside of the DE base plate — clean and uncluttered — allowed us to agree on a new design that was really quite different from anything else we had seen already on the market. Once we had approved the drawings we both committed to prototyping costs and shared the complicated tooling costs, which were at that time considerable."

Looking at a decade old interview with the founder of EJ he said of the DE89/R89 "It was Andreas Muller — new to the Muhle Company at the time — and myself who teamed up to search for potential contract manufacturers before we started to design a two-part head that suited both company’s needs. It was a very exciting time as we exchanged numerous sketches and CAD drawings with alteration after alteration. Ultimately my determination to keep improving the underside of the DE base plate — clean and uncluttered — allowed us to agree on a new design that was really quite different from anything else we had seen already on the market. Once we had approved the drawings we both committed to prototyping costs and shared the complicated tooling costs, which were at that time considerable."

Cheers, thanks for that. That answers your previous question (" I still haven't quite worked out the relationship between Muhle and EJ eg are they just developing the products together, is one licensing from the other, is there any co-production, is it just historic, etc?") and could shed like on the R41 GS's handle construction and/or assembly.

At least, that's how one article online describes it (all the way down).

Context wise, my razor journey has been as follow: two years ago bought a Mühle Stylo razor (I think it's a R89 head) as part of a set with a brush. Gave up wet shaving after one try and went back to Fusions until 3-4 months when I jumped back in and I started with the King C. Gillette, Henson Mild, Henson Medium, Mühle Rocca, The Holy Black SR-71, Timeless TRBR 38 Bronze, Mühle R41 and finally, the Mühle R41 GS. Only have the R41 and R41 GS.

How does it look?

Stunning. Like jewelry and not the necklace or bracelet type but a men's watch. I'd say a Swiss watch but the R41 GS is German and can only be like an A.Lange & Söhne. It's polished expect for the inner parts of the head cap and base plate. The shine is just right and feels "natural" for lack of better word, meaning you can tell it's a polished solid metal and not plated. Thicker and longer handle with no grip issue. Handle is not polished (or at least doesn't appear to be) which gives it a nice contrast. The "Mühle" branding at the bottom of the handle is deeply laser engraved.

How doe it feel?

Like a tank. I knew it would be on paper but you get the feel of it when it's in your hand. It feels like a one block piece. It's 56.6% heavier - the regular R41 weights 64 g (head 31 g, handle 27g) vs the GS 113 g (head 36 g, handle 77g).

How does it shave?

I shaved three times with it so far. Disclaimer: I have dark, thick and semi-dense facial hair.

Shave 1

Fresh Voskhod blade. C.O. Bigelow cream (face lathered). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 3 passes (W, X, ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: Look was perfect BBS. Feel was as if you waxed your facial hair. I kid you not. I could not feel hair on my face when passing hands - even when pressing down. Never experienced this feel before with any other razor I used. I was speechless. Otherwise, no cuts and couple nicks. Minor razor burn in chin area (the hazard zone for me). It was the closest shave I had so it came with some light burning sensation overall, but not something I would call irritation, that dissipated within couple hours.

Shave 2

Fresh Personna Platinum blade. Musgo Real Classic cream (face lathered). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 3 passes (W, X, ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: identical to Shave 1 but with no nicks this time.

Shave 3

Fresh Nacet blade. Caswell Massey Almond soap (technically a The Holy Black soap). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 2 passes (W and ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: Look was BBS. Feel was almost as good but I could feel hair when passing hand over the face in some areas (chin line and neck). No cuts or nicks. A lot less "burning" sensation. No razor burn in chin area either.

Impression?

For me, it's the having-waxed feeling with 3 passes that blew me away. I always do a 3 pass shave anyway. Both the end result look and feel is something I have not experienced with anything - the regular R41 included. The GS sinks in your skin and leaves nothing behind. You just need to direct it. On the 2nd shave, I even held it with two fingers (thumb and index) and let it glides. The weight does the job. Oddly, you feel the R41 GS does nothing more special than the regular R41 when shaving. There is also less audio-tactile blade feel. With the regular R41, I could never achieve a perfect BBS in the chin line and neck area even with 3 passes. I could always "see" and feel hair left behind. The GS solves that completely. And whatever BBS I achieved with the regular R41 in other parts of the face, the GS took it step (or two) further.

Is it worth the extra coin?

The regular R41 is already a fantastic razor. It's efficient, shaves better than anything I used in the past and looks great. So why bother with the GS? For me, because it shaves closer and not just slightly. If you have thin hair, the GS is likely overkill. If you have dense and/or thick hair, I think you'll love it.

In the US, the regular R41 costs $44 and the GS, between $156 and $174. That's $112 more if you consider the cheapest available price for the GS. I understand that it's quite a bit more -- but the way I look at it is that if one is going to spend whatever time you spend shaving, one should get the best possible results. It's will also outlast you. Something you can pass down. Sure, you can also pass down a regular R41 but the GS is special.

Anything else?

Being bigger and heavier, it takes some handling adaptation - especially in tricker areas like the chin and under the nose.

Not the best presentation box for a razor 3X+ the price 2X+ heavier. The same as the regular R41. Added cushion inside at leat would have been nice.

Some pictures

View attachment 1639833

View attachment 1639834

View attachment 1639836

View attachment 1639837

View attachment 1639838

View attachment 1639839

View attachment 1639840

View attachment 1639841

View attachment 1639842
I have the same one and use it daily, the day I got it the first thing I did ( before shaving) is change the handle.

At least, that's how one article online describes it (all the way down).

Context wise, my razor journey has been as follow: two years ago bought a Mühle Stylo razor (I think it's a R89 head) as part of a set with a brush. Gave up wet shaving after one try and went back to Fusions until 3-4 months when I jumped back in and I started with the King C. Gillette, Henson Mild, Henson Medium, Mühle Rocca, The Holy Black SR-71, Timeless TRBR 38 Bronze, Mühle R41 and finally, the Mühle R41 GS. Only have the R41 and R41 GS.

How does it look?

Stunning. Like jewelry and not the necklace or bracelet type but a men's watch. I'd say a Swiss watch but the R41 GS is German and can only be like an A.Lange & Söhne. It's polished expect for the inner parts of the head cap and base plate. The shine is just right and feels "natural" for lack of better word, meaning you can tell it's a polished solid metal and not plated. Thicker and longer handle with no grip issue. Handle is not polished (or at least doesn't appear to be) which gives it a nice contrast. The "Mühle" branding at the bottom of the handle is deeply laser engraved.

How doe it feel?

Like a tank. I knew it would be on paper but you get the feel of it when it's in your hand. It feels like a one block piece. It's 56.6% heavier - the regular R41 weights 64 g (head 31 g, handle 27g) vs the GS 113 g (head 36 g, handle 77g).

How does it shave?

I shaved three times with it so far. Disclaimer: I have dark, thick and semi-dense facial hair.

Shave 1

Fresh Voskhod blade. C.O. Bigelow cream (face lathered). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 3 passes (W, X, ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: Look was perfect BBS. Feel was as if you waxed your facial hair. I kid you not. I could not feel hair on my face when passing hands - even when pressing down. Never experienced this feel before with any other razor I used. I was speechless. Otherwise, no cuts and couple nicks. Minor razor burn in chin area (the hazard zone for me). It was the closest shave I had so it came with some light burning sensation overall, but not something I would call irritation, that dissipated within couple hours.

Shave 2

Fresh Personna Platinum blade. Musgo Real Classic cream (face lathered). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 3 passes (W, X, ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: identical to Shave 1 but with no nicks this time.

Shave 3

Fresh Nacet blade. Caswell Massey Almond soap (technically a The Holy Black soap). Simpsons T3 synthetic. 2 passes (W and ATG). Witch Hazel.

Result: Look was BBS. Feel was almost as good but I could feel hair when passing hand over the face in some areas (chin line and neck). No cuts or nicks. A lot less "burning" sensation. No razor burn in chin area either.

Impression?

For me, it's the having-waxed feeling with 3 passes that blew me away. I always do a 3 pass shave anyway. Both the end result look and feel is something I have not experienced with anything - the regular R41 included. The GS sinks in your skin and leaves nothing behind. You just need to direct it. On the 2nd shave, I even held it with two fingers (thumb and index) and let it glides. The weight does the job. Oddly, you feel the R41 GS does nothing more special than the regular R41 when shaving. There is also less audio-tactile blade feel. With the regular R41, I could never achieve a perfect BBS in the chin line and neck area even with 3 passes. I could always "see" and feel hair left behind. The GS solves that completely. And whatever BBS I achieved with the regular R41 in other parts of the face, the GS took it step (or two) further.

Is it worth the extra coin?

The regular R41 is already a fantastic razor. It's efficient, shaves better than anything I used in the past and looks great. So why bother with the GS? For me, because it shaves closer and not just slightly. If you have thin hair, the GS is likely overkill. If you have dense and/or thick hair, I think you'll love it.

In the US, the regular R41 costs $44 and the GS, between $156 and $174. That's $112 more if you consider the cheapest available price for the GS. I understand that it's quite a bit more -- but the way I look at it is that if one is going to spend whatever time you spend shaving, one should get the best possible results. It's will also outlast you. Something you can pass down. Sure, you can also pass down a regular R41 but the GS is special.

Anything else?

Being bigger and heavier, it takes some handling adaptation - especially in tricker areas like the chin and under the nose.

Not the best presentation box for a razor 3X+ the price 2X+ heavier. The same as the regular R41. Added cushion inside at leat would have been nice.

Some pictures

View attachment 1639833

View attachment 1639834

View attachment 1639836

View attachment 1639837

View attachment 1639838

View attachment 1639839

View attachment 1639840

View attachment 1639841

View attachment 1639842
A cold steel whisker assassin for sure!😊👍💈

I prefer using my R41GS over the standard head on Rosegold handle.
I haven't used either lately simply due to the SR taking primary duty over my DEs

If anything, that strategy has extended my existing blade stores well beyond my lifetime

I though the Old type is the daddy of safety razors.

My view is that the handle of a three-piece razor is largely irrelevant - you can always replace it with a better one. I have a whole bunch of brass, stainless, aluminium, and titanium handles. I generally prefer titanium handles, even on my vintage razors. I find vintage handles to be too small and fiddly, stainless steel handles too heavy and clumsy. YMMV.
If I have to pay 130 EUR for the razor it is not irrelevant.

The 2011 version is significantly more aggressive and effective. Very similar to an Ikon Tek in my opinion. I struggle to get a BBS with a modern R41, but it's easy with the 2011. It's really only the top cap that's different - I'm currently using my 2011 top cap on a GS baseplate with a titanium handle.

View attachment 1640338

I can't really tell much difference in effectiveness between the current R41 and the R41GS, although the GS is much nicer to look at. I don't really like the Muhle handles much so I don't use them. I also refuse to believe that a heavier razor shaves closer.
My 2011 R41 does have a slightly smaller baseplate than my 2013. I think that factors in on the aggressiveness of the razor. In fact, I placed a 2013 top cap on the 2011 baseplate and got a near 2011 shave result with less drama. But, I do not get very good shaves from the 2011 since I cannot go ATG with it without tearing up my face. YMMV they say, and that is very true. I will try once more with a Feather blade in the 2011, but if I can't make it work, it is going to be benched for a while.

My 2011 R41 does have a slightly smaller baseplate than my 2013. I think that factors in on the aggressiveness of the razor. In fact, I placed a 2013 top cap on the 2011 baseplate and got a near 2011 shave result with less drama. But, I do not get very good shaves from the 2011 since I cannot go ATG with it without tearing up my face. YMMV they say, and that is very true. I will try once more with a Feather blade in the 2011, but if I can't make it work, it is going to be benched for a while.
I measured the baseplates of the current R41, R41GS and 2011 R41. The differences were tiny, and probably within manufacturing tolerances. I'm convinced the significant difference is that the 2011 top cap is much narrower. Personally I can't tell the difference between the 2011 top cap on the 2011 baseplate or on the R41GS baseplate.

I measured the baseplates of the current R41, R41GS and 2011 R41. The differences were tiny, and probably within manufacturing tolerances. I'm convinced the significant difference is that the 2011 top cap is much narrower. Personally I can't tell the difference between the 2011 top cap on the 2011 baseplate or on the R41GS baseplate.
I believe the configuration of the "teeth" is also different and somehow, may affect the quality of the shave result. There is a past discussion on the differences between the 2011 and the 2013. Not sure where it is, but it was informative.

I believe the configuration of the "teeth" is also different and somehow, may affect the quality of the shave result. There is a past discussion on the differences between the 2011 and the 2013. Not sure where it is, but it was informative.
No. The teeth on the GS are not so rounded, so you can feel them more, otherwise there's absolutely no difference in my experience, especially in the end result.

Top Bottom