What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

I'm in! Here's my '65 Travel Tech...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got our power back. Let my fur grow since 4 AM last Tuesday. Just shaved 1/4 of dense fur off my face.

Prep - a long hot shower and a shampooed face (Is this a word?)

Blade - Feather with two shaves on it

Razor - Feather AS-D2

Soap - GEO F. Trumpers Almond (cream)

Finished with Old Spice AS and Nivea AS Balm

Results - absolutely no difference between mowing down 4.5 days of fur versus 24 hours of fur (discounting the mess in the sink)

Here is my favorite mild shavers;$image.jpg a nice pre war triangle slot ball end Tech
$image.jpg
All the rest of my daily shavers. This sits to the left of my sink and I pick a different one almost everyday.

Any suggestions for smooth mild blades? I have shark SS, Durby and Rapira Stainless (i think they'r the ones with pink, blue and black)
Love the Shark and Durby like i said but havent used the Rapiras in my WS Classic yet so idk if I like them yet?
Anyway i dont want a sampler because ik they come with all kinds of aggressiveness so i probably wouldnt use like a good portion of it... Any ideas would be great! Im getting a Gillette Tech hopefully soon too. Ill post a pic here when i do!

Any suggestions for smooth mild blades?...
For me, Voskhods are the smoothest and most comfortable, no matter what razor I am using. They are followed closely by Astra SP's and then Personna Blue Labs. Despite being smooth and comfortable, they are also very sharp or efficient. Viking Swords are also up there. Everyone will have different blades to recommend, so look for blades that appear in multiple posts.

For me, Voskhods are the smoothest and most comfortable, no matter what razor I am using. They are followed closely by Astra SP's and then Personna Blue Labs. Despite being smooth and comfortable, they are also very sharp or efficient. Viking Swords are also up there. Everyone will have different blades to recommend, so look for blades that appear in multiple posts.
Awesome! I had been wondering about the Voskhods! Any idea where the best place to buy them is? Ive heard they are a bit hard to find?

When I looked earlier today, Italian Barber was selling Voskhods at around $16/100 on eBay. I didn't check the IB website, but I assume they must be available there, too. FWIW.

Count me in for the mild shavers club! I'm glad I found this thread. I love my EJ DE89, Muhle R89 Twist, and Feather As-D2. I've tried the R41 and the Futur but they weren't for me. In fact, the Futur on 1 was plenty aggressive for me. What's
the point of it being adjustable if I never put it above 1 on the dial? :blink:

Another entry for me - I have now added an aluminum ball-end British Tech to my Tech collection. A very nice, smooth 2 pass shave with it this morning (along with Speick cream and a Semogue SOC boar brush).

I've been using my Merkur 23c that I bought in December. I'm not sure if it would be considered a mild razor although I find it mild compared to that face shredding FaTip Grande I used to own. Odd thing though, it's my first Merkur and I own two Super Speeds, two Techs and three NEW LCs as well as my trusty ASD2 but I seem to catch my cheek with the blade tab that sticks out the ends. This has never happened with any other razor. Obviously not with the ASD2 as the tabs are covered. I really like the razor and the shaves it's been giving. Even better than the Muhle R89 I had.

I just got a Muhle R89 in the mail a couple days ago and have a couple shaves down with it. Really great shaver. Very smooth. I've been using a Weber exclusively for the past year and found my skin getting a bit more easily irritated as time went on.

Today, I did a 3-pass shave with the R89, WTG, XTG, and ATG. I rarely go ATG as it's very irritating to my skin, but today it felt great.

Oddly enough, my first pass with the R89 felt closer than my first pass with the Weber typically does. Not sure if it's better QC or what. I know it's not as aggressive.

The other nice thing is that the chrome finish seems to rinse off easier than the stainless, and doesn't build up soap scum as easily.

Might have to swap handles and give that a shot, but so far so good.

Top Bottom