What's new

Keto

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My daughter is going Keto so I agreed to join in as support. I can stand to lose 10-15 pounds after all of the holiday eating that I did. Keep those recipes coming. So far I haven't seen anything that I would not enjoy. Cutting out breads and sugar is going to be tough but I've done it before. Once I weaned off of them, the cravings went away. Keeping the fat to protein ratios shouldn't be too hard but I really really miss my triple shot of OJ first thing in the morning!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My daughter is going Keto so I agreed to join in as support. I can stand to lose 10-15 pounds after all of the holiday eating that I did. Keep those recipes coming. So far I haven't seen anything that I would not enjoy. Cutting out breads and sugar is going to be tough but I've done it before. Once I weaned off of them, the cravings went away. Keeping the fat to protein ratios shouldn't be too hard but I really really miss my triple shot of OJ first thing in the morning!
Welcome to the journey. For us the transition was not that big of a deal. We rarely eat bread and don't even have sugar in the house except for the hummingbirds. Neither of us have eaten cereal for more than 20 years so that was easy. Hash brown potatoes and pinto beans are what I miss the most.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yep, I noticed most all of the beans that I enjoy were on the 'Not Keto' list!

Good thing is that we already eat most everything on the Keto list.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last night was chili...it fits perfectly into a keto meal plan. I had 1-1/2 (was gonna be two) bowls. Hey, I had to have a few leftovers to let the flavors talk to each other!

I've lost 30# since April 215-185. I eat a fair amount of carbs, just smaller portions of meals. Don't you Keto guys have trouble with gout?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've lost 30# since April 215-185. I eat a fair amount of carbs, just smaller portions of meals. Don't you Keto guys have trouble with gout?
I have no trouble with gout. Our keto protein amounts are small to moderate. Our vegetables list is large and fats are confined to cold pressed oils like avocado, walnut, olive, coconut and grass fed butter. Fats also include saturated fats from animals. From what I've read gout is brought on by too much protein and certain types of vegetables.

Studies concluded that ketogenic diet had the ability to raise the levels of BHB in the body. BHB in turn inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome and consequently alleviating the symptoms of urate crystal induced gout. This happens without the immune system being impacted negatively or without hindering its ability to fight bacterial infections.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks @DoctorShavegood . I have Keto dieting friends who talk of massive meat intakes. Maybe they are not really following the diet.
Yep, it sounds like they are eating way to much protein.

Your macro-nutrients should look something like this:

1. Fats need to be 75% fats
2 Carbs at 5%
3. Protein at 20%

example: On a 2000 per day calories intake

1. 1,500 calories in fat
2. 100 calories in carbs
3. 400 calories in protein

That translates into about 4-8 oz of protein per meal.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight we sauted cod in avocado oil and butter. Sides were steamed broccoli and cauliflower topped with sharp cheddar snd and olive oil and half an avocado. Dessert was a chocolate fat bomb.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Been on keto for about 10 months. Down 45 lbs. 5 belt holes. Blood pressure went from 145 over 95 ... to 110 over 73. A1C dropped from nearly full blown diabetes type 2, to below normal. Triglycerides dropped 100 points. All of my symptoms from Crohn's disease have gone away. So yeah, I am never going back.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Been on keto for about 10 months. Down 45 lbs. 5 belt holes. Blood pressure went from 145 over 95 ... to 110 over 73. A1C dropped from nearly full blown diabetes type 2, to below normal. Triglycerides dropped 100 points. All of my symptoms from Crohn's disease have gone away. So yeah, I am never going back.
That is totally awesome. Great job @BradWorld. Give us one of your go to recipes

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That is totally awesome. Great job @BradWorld. Give us one of your go to recipes

I make my own version of Fathead pizza. PM me if you want the recipe. Living in the NYC area, pizza and bagels are the two things I miss the most. The everything bagels from the Low Carb Bread Company are a lifesaver as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight was meatball soup. Think alfredo sauce thinned down with broth. I added kale, spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic and heavy whipping cream. Chopped parsley on top. Of course there was lots parm of added. The missus loved it.

Top Bottom