What's new

Vegan recipes

I've been a vegetarian (not vegan) for 40 years and my meals are mostly rice or homemade bread with soup and/or a salad. I enjoy Asian and Indian meals when I'm eating out but they're too much trouble day to day. One of my favorite cookbooks is "From a Monastery Kitchen" by Brother Victor-Antoine D'Avila-Latourrette. There are several books, but unfortunately they're hard to find now. Here's the Brother's lentil soup.

Lentil and Lemon-peel Soup
From a Monastery Kitchen, 1st edition

1 cup Lentils
1 quart Water
1/2 Lemon peel, zested
1 Onion, chopped
1-2 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp Salt
5 Peppercorns

Simmer until lentils are tender, about 1 hour.

The lemon zest plays against the earthy taste of the lentils.
Nice recipe!

I have used this lentil casserole recipe as a place to start. I use fresh vegetables instead of dried. Then add things like soy chorizo and hot sauce, lemon, etc. it’s quite a bland recipe so adding stuff to wake it up helps a lot. If I am indulging I’ll add some sour cream to the bowl.

Reactions: Luc
This recipe is ridiculously easy. Black bean, sweet potato and hummus dressing.

Sweet Potato and black beans make an amazing enchilada also. Green or red sauce, it doesn’t matter. Very satisfying and makes for good leftovers. Google sweet potato black bean enchiladas and don’t over think it. I made to much filling once and my wife just made bowls with sauce on top. It’s so good you don’t really need tortilla. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This Icecream is realy easy to make
1a6.jpg

Now for adult stuff
You can make mushroom risoto
On low heet stirfry some onions, when onions are like glass, add mushrooms of your choice, add seasoning, when mushrooms are almost done, add rice and gradualy add warer untill rice is cooked.
There you have it, mushroom risoto, easy and vegan

My wife has been vegetarian for most of her life and dabbles in veganism. I can tell you as an omnivore exposed to a ton of veggie recipes, I prefer well prepared and spiced "side dishes" that are designed to be vegetables than main courses that either use fake meat or substitute dense veggies for what your brain tells you should be meat. My $0.02

One of my favorite meat substitutes is eggplant. It can be used in many different recipes. I love eggplant parmesan and eggplant lasagna, which is usually topped with cheese, but you can leave the cheese off and just use tomato sauce and herbs.

It's a dish we eat a lot but never eat the same thing twice. If that makes sense.
This makes sense to me. This is also why when I cook vegetarian or vegan I can't say I use any recipe. If the kids want a meal with rice for example, we'll cook up a big pot.
They may have a pork chop with it and some veggies.

I'll grab the wok and first look for some veggies. Depending on the veg, I'll choose a protein. Looking at the veg and protein I choose, I'll look at the spices available. Season with dry spices then look at the wet ingredients to make a sauce if needed.

I grab a bowl and put it together. Texture is super important with these bowls so the veg gets cooked hot and fast then removed from the heat. Like maybe 2 minutes on the stove. After it's plated, it needs some kind of topping to give it a crunch (or at least an opposing texture to the rice) so crushed nuts or seeds, chopped spring onion, tortilla strips, toasted pita or things like that.

Sorry Luc, I don't actually have recipes for Vegan cooking. I just wing it. Not gonna say everything is 5 star meal but I enjoy the process of trying new things.

One of my favourite combinations is onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and corn with Black Beans. season with Clubhouse Chipotle Mango spice. I put that on rice with salsa on the side with grated cheddar, sour cream and broken tortilla chips. Guacamole if I can afford it.

Also, I try to have some kind of lacto-fermented side with my dinner but it's not always something I remember.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Vegan Recipe:
Ingredients
One Vegan, finely chopped.

When I worked and lived in the tropics, several times a week, we would just eat nothing but fruits. Fresh coconut, several types of bananas, papaya, pineapple, mango, guyabano etc.
It was quite good and I didn't miss the meat, poultry, pork, or fish - which is the staple where I was.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been experimenting a bit with tofu this week and made Mexican Fried Rice. tofu is very cheap at Costco compared to the grocery store.

I found that:
-If I crumble the tofu in smaller pieces, it blends better with the rice and you can't really detect it. I'm talking minced meat crumble.
-Spices are key, I added a few fresh and dry chilies. A lot of cumin and it's very nice.

So far, the meal prep didn't kick in as I'm making 1 serving at a time until I get my ratios right.

I also did the same thing with my scrambled eggs. Instead of using cold cuts, I replaced them with a bit of crumbled tofu. It's cutting it nicely.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I haven't done it for a bit because there's a soy sensitivity in the household at the moment, but I used to occasionally make my own soy milk from beans. Kinda like making my own butter because then I get free buttermilk, making my own soy milk gave me free okara. Okara is the fibre left behind from pressing out the milk. I always liked drying and toasting it in the oven and then adding it to granola, or else making croquettes with it.

If you can eat soy, it's so versatile. Tofu, tempeh, natto, soy milk, okara, soy yogurt, whey, yuba...I've even made soy wine out of the whey from yogurt and honey. Not a high-zoot vintage but it'd change your perspective on the day. :)

One thing I do not recommend is making a big pot of soybean chili. Hooo Lordy. Better be a stormy night, as my father used to say.

O.H.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So, I found TVP at my local store (Bob's Red Mill) for cheap (I think, around $5 cdn).

It's a lot like minced meat. It mixes well with rice. I tried it in the overnight oats, I didn't like it in there.

I think it's a great alternative to my current sources of proteins. I can store it next to the rice so it can stay there for a bit unlike a block of meat or tofu that I need to eat within a few days.

I will finish my little bag and I might buy a bigger size tvp to see how different it is.

Ive been vegan for twelve years and my hottest tips are to enjoy nice, fresh vegetables raw when possible. Youll have to eat more, and have a reason to combine green vegetables with fruit like citrus or pinapple that helps extracting iron etc from the spinach etc.
Also, a bangladesh-guy gave me the tip to cook whatever food your cooking separatley from the spices, onions and ginger or whatever.
Example: in one pot you put say, lentils and water. Nothing else. And in another one you fry the spices and tasty stuff with oil and butter, or only butter cause its taste better, THEN, when the lentils are done, they go into the pot with the fried spices and gets stirred. Funny thing is, even if your using the same amount of spice as when cooking normally, its gonna taste more, more intense and nuanced.

I normally avoid all regular Svensson-a*s spices from the regular store, and go to any respectable arab-food store or market and get whatever smells nice or looks intesting. Not only do you get bigger volumes, you get stuff you never had at home before, plus theres often dried cilantro, parsley, mint, or what ever wierd blend they might have.
I get 200g of turmeric at such a store for the price of 20g at the regular swedish store so its a no brainer to me.

Its like with meat, noone really enjoys a steak with zero salt and spices. Its all about the spices if you ask me, if its not good as-is.
This week theres been alot of rice and lentils with plenty of butter, fried cabbage and onions, habanero, garlic and i had some ocra and aspargus in the freezer.

Really old recepies dont even say how much of each spice to put in. It just mentions say "pepper" and youll have to work out the proportions yourself. Its more like a advice and then you improvise. Like those times when you, or at least i, come home a bit drunk and very hungry and throw anything thats considered tasty in the pot, and more orten than not the result is pretty awsome.
Sorry for the rant ;)

Where I am from we grow a lot of soy beans, and I see what they put on them. No way I would eat that crap. You’re going to get a health dose of Monsantos’s finest. I like my meals taken wild, free range and grass fed.

Ok, so my best recepie is home made falafel. Good for each wallet.
Take basically any legumes, it doesent have to be chickpeas, the percived falafel standard. I really like the raste and pricetag of yellow peas so i normally use that. A friend whos allergic to chickpeas or gluten, gets treated from his mom with maize falafel and he says its awsome.
So, take your dried chickpeas or whatever, put them in water over night, mix until all big pieces are gone (pretty vital). I usually put some garlic, parlsey, cumin, sesameseeds and a decent amount of something hot, chili or habanero, then use the mixer.

Heat up some oil. I prefer not to blast the heat the first yhing i do but heat up the oil slowly. My stove goes from 1 to 9 so a 4 is good for me. Its better if you have an even temperature at the lower mid on the stove. Goo much heat kills the food. Maybe im retarded on this point but it works for me.

Get two spoons, scoop up some proto falafel with one, and try to work the two spoons against eachother, making a solid shape, the dump it in the oil.
If you really got the munchies or want to improve the clogging of your arteries, take pieces of broccoli, dip them in tempura batter with salt and more of the hot and spice stuff and fry them too. Try using carbonated water instead of tapwater for the batter. If you dip them in Panko after the batter this really lifts the food but not neccesary.

Where I am from we grow a lot of soy beans, and I see what they put on them. No way I would eat that crap. You’re going to get a health dose of Monsantos’s finest. I like my meals taken wild, free range and grass fed.
I think i get what you mean.
However, wild animals are not key to healthy diet in my opinion. Here in sweden, after chernobyl catastrophy, the goverment warned against eating wild animals from here due to the radioactivity the animals absorbed thru their bodies and food etc.
I do get what you getting at though. And it really pisses me of that in the lake i grew up next to now has almost no pike as is the case with the outer archipelago. Significantly less bass also, and if you catch it, dont eat it. They also adivice to not drink the water wich is horrifying. Heavy metals and other poisons. And the animals at the top of the foodchain get this pretty heavily i understand.
I dont bash on meateates though. Nobody of us asked to be here, and we all do what we have to to survive. Recently, if i find food like that, my thinking is that its a greater "sin" to walk away from a perfectly good fish or meat or whatever is out of my comfortzone, than to actually eat it. A buddy managed to get a good pike once, wasnt able to kill it so i had to help him, then the guy discarded it cause he felt like hamburgers instead. That made me think.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Well, I can't think of a good reason to eat "Roundup-ready" anything. But then, I have an aversion to cancer.

Organic soybeans are lovely, but as I say not for a pot of beans unless you need the practice.

O.H.

Top Bottom