What's new

Keto

How do people arrive at a target weight and once there... what if any changes are made to the eating plan to maintain the target weight?

I did a pretty good job of maintaining my target weight for 10 years. In fact, I did not notice how well I had done until my physician pointed it out to me. I stayed between 168 and 178 for that period (up and down, not a slow progression). A career change knocked me off of that path, and I am using keto to get back on it. What I did was what I call Whole5 (the Whole30 diet) for the weekdays and 80% paleo with 20% cheating (typically coconut gelato) on the weekends. I think the one modification I may make once I am back at my target weight is a fast day.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Everyone is different you can get a general weight for your age and height on Google, but after you reach said target you can get a body fat % reading and figure out if you are good there or can go lower my range for 6ft 33yrs old is between 165-185 Once I hit 185 I'll re evaluate and check body fat %. Once you hit your ideal weight pictures and weighing in will help keep you accountable and if you are still losing weight eat more and if you are goiing up adjust accordingly. Excersise should always be part of this process even if you can't do much. I have had 3 knee surgeries and still have a lot I can't do at the gym, just do everything you can and never ego lift :)
At 5' 10" and 185, you couldn't find fat on me. Of course, I lifted more then, and had thighs like Earl Campbell. Okay, slight exaggeration, but I had REALLY strong legs and didn't go down very easy.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My take on the keto diet is that it is a change to what you are used to. Embrace the things you like on it and build from there. Maybe don't try to replace all the bready noodley potato stuff you like with keto substitutes . . . or if you do . . . just once in a while.

Maintenance is an interesting issue.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Maintenance is an interesting issue.

That was my challenge. I would be going along fine. Withdrawn from sugars and bad carbs. Then BAM, knocked off the horse. One sugary thing led to another. Same with carbs. My willpower was never able to hold out for very long at all.

Time for me to try again. Pants are getting a little tight.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made this last night with accolades from the Missus.

proxy.php

Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner
One pan wonders! This easy keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice is a skillet meal the whole family will love. They won't even notice it's low carb and grain-free. Primal and THM-friendly.
Course Main Course
Cuisine Mexican
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 servings
Calories 352 kcal
Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 medium onion diced
  • 1/2 red pepper diced
  • 3 tbsp taco seasoning
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes
  • 12 ounces cauliflower rice fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican Blend
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef until almost cooked through (just a little pink). Add the onion and pepper and continue to cook until no longer pink. Stir in the taco seasoning.
  2. Add the tomatoes and cauliflower rice and stir to combine. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the cauliflower rice begins to soften (8 to 10 minutes for frozen).
  3. Sprinkle the skillet with the cheese and cover. Let cook until the cheese is melted, 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and top with your favourite toppings like sour cream, avocado, and chopped cilantro.
Recipe Notes
Serves 6. Each serving has 5.04g NET CARBS.

Food energy: 352kcal
Total fat: 21.71g
Calories from fat: 195
Cholesterol: 96mg
Carbohydrate: 7.04g
Total dietary fiber: 2.00g
Protein: 29.09g

Nutrition Facts
Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet Dinner

Amount Per Serving
Calories 352Calories from Fat 195

% Daily Value*
Total Fat
21.71g33%
Cholesterol
96mg32%
Total Carbohydrates
7.04g2%
Dietary Fiber 2g8%
Protein
29.09g58%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tried Paleo for a few months and few years back but couldn't keep to it, my body was craving carbs after the first week. It works for those who can keep to it but you have to have strong will power and put in the time and effort. For me it was just too much.

The initial phase can be the hardest, as we kick our sugar/carb addiction. Yes, it's an addiction, like tobacco or crack. But once the initial phase is over, things get a lot easier.

I tried keto diet and felt like I was starving

That's an odd reaction to the keto diet. Usually, people find they have far less cravings to eat. But everyone's different, so you may be the oddball for whom something else is going to work much better. Kudos for finding what works for you.

If you really want to shed some fat and feel great try snake diet.

My local butcher doesn't sell snake though.

The best part is I don't have to be that guy who is a weirdo at family gatherings and parties being so restricted to what I can have and not have

No, you're that weirdo who talks about shaving with old-timey razors and little badger brushes and stuff. We're all weirdos ... it's just a question of which reason is most apparent to our friends and family.

How do people arrive at a target weight and once there... what if any changes are made to the eating plan to maintain the target weight?

Depends how you got there.

Some people try a two-step plan, the first step being a more extreme diet to drop the weight, and the second being ... once they get to the desired weight ... a new diet that is less extreme ... going from correction to maintenance.

Others prefer (and I am in this camp) to just start out with the diet that will maintain the goal weight, and let the body naturally adjust to the goal weight. The theory being, if you are 220 and you feed your body like you are 185, the body will say to itself "hey, I ought to be 185 ... make it so" and you get there in a while. The up side to this is you don't have to adjust your diet later on (and if you take THAT approach, you might be making incorrect adjustments.)

But truth be told, one is likely to be always making small (and occasionally not so small) adjustments to the diet as one finds what does and doesn't work for one's own personal situation, and as one gathers more information about nutrition. Never stop learning.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No, you're that weirdo who talks about shaving with old-timey razors and little badger brushes and stuff. We're all weirdos ... it's just a question of which reason is most apparent to our friends and family.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight was shrimp campechana. Followed up with a chocolate fat bomb. I had to give up the shot of tequila I normally pour over the campechana.:07:

Made up a few homemade keto McMuffins with sharp cheddar, hot Italian sausage and egg. The texture of the muffin is crumbly. About 5 carbs per muffin.

We had keto pancakes with blueberries this morning, not too bad. Your keto breakfast sandwich looks good. How was it?

I dig it.
Did it for a few months last year and dropped about 20 lbs.
I got off of it and was doing a decent job maintaining by just not eating out much, not snacking much etc but got back on it a few weeks ago because I like the way I feel mentally on it. More chilled out and even tempered.

I didn’t love it for backpacking, seemed to get dehydrated easier (even with an electrolyte supplement) and hit walls faster than I do on carbs. I didn’t do it long enough to get fully adapted though, a lot of backpackers do it very successfully. Definitely didn’t need as much food though, that was a plus.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I dig it.
Did it for a few months last year and dropped about 20 lbs.

Awesome!!
I like the way I feel mentally on it. More chilled out and even tempered.

That's seems to be the same with me.

Definitely didn’t need as much food though, that was a plus.

I'm eating much less as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We had keto pancakes with blueberries this morning, not too bad. Your keto breakfast sandwich looks good. How was it?
The biscuit was crumbly but stayed together. They were on the dry side so add a little hot sauce or even mayo or mustard.

442E3537-C464-426A-A13A-2A326AF97872.jpeg
Today’s meal; leftover smoked pork with kale cooked like collard greens in the instapot. The kale was delicious!
Side note- the instapot has probably been my favorite Keto purchase. Great for smoked sausage and makes hard boiled eggs a lot easier too, shells fall right off. Had these greens done in about 15 minutes.

View attachment 943723 Today’s meal; leftover smoked pork with kale cooked like collard greens in the instapot. The kale was delicious!
Side note- the instapot has probably been my favorite Keto purchase. Great for smoked sausage and makes hard boiled eggs a lot easier too, shells fall right off. Had these greens done in about 15 minutes.
Ohh that does look good :w00t:

Top Bottom