What's new

Keto

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 943723 Today’s meal; leftover smoked pork with kale cooked like collard greens in the instapot. The kale was delicious!
Side note- the instapot has probably been my favorite Keto purchase. Great for smoked sausage and makes hard boiled eggs a lot easier too, shells fall right off. Had these greens done in about 15 minutes.
That looks mighty fine.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight we made cauliflower fauxmashed-potatoes. We added cream cheese, butter, garlic and heavy whipping cream. It tasted amazing. We both swore it tasted like and had a similar texture as regular mashed taters. The difference was a zero rise in blood sugar.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tonight we made cauliflower fauxmashed-potatoes. We added cream cheese, butter, garlic and heavy whipping cream. It tasted amazing. We both swore it tasted like and had a similar texture as regular mashed taters. The difference was a zero rise in blood sugar.
Loaded cauliflower is a great dish.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love cauliflower as a potato substitute. It's so dadgum tasty and has a great texture. I recall a faux potato salad with cauliflower that was amazing.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm going to try some cauliflower 'mashed potatoes'. Hopefully it doesn't have the same 'blazing saddles' effect on my system as raw cauliflower.

Can anyone share a good cauliflower za crust? I am on an extended fast and after breaking it I want to try my hand at some for grill pizza. I can’t have wheat flour, dairy, or yeast but can substitute things for them in most case and make a suitable alternative. Seems the cauli crust would be a good alternative. I’ve not tried it out in restaurants, as risk of exposure is too high to other allergens. Appreciate if you know a recipe you like that comes out great. Thanks.

I'm going to try some cauliflower 'mashed potatoes'. Hopefully it doesn't have the same 'blazing saddles' effect on my system as raw cauliflower.

I don't do keto, but I eat cauliflower by the boatload. The steamer bags of frozen cauliflower in the frozen veggie sections at Kroger and Walmart are cheap and actually pretty darn tasty. I eat a serving out of the bag with some fresh cracked black pepper, coarse sea salt, and a bit of olive oil. Darn good and, imo, much much better than raw cauliflower.

If you want to experiment, pick up a steamer bag (they are around a buck per bag) and toss it in the microwave. See if you can stomach it better than raw. I think its great.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight I made Keto Creamed broccoli soup. It had creamed cheese, onion, garlic, pepper flakes, butter, heavy whipping cream, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, sharp cheddar and bacon.
20190117_181504.jpg
20190117_181508.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I don't do keto, but I eat cauliflower by the boatload. The steamer bags of frozen cauliflower in the frozen veggie sections at Kroger and Walmart are cheap and actually pretty darn tasty. I eat a serving out of the bag with some fresh cracked black pepper, coarse sea salt, and a bit of olive oil. Darn good and, imo, much much better than raw cauliflower.

If you want to experiment, pick up a steamer bag (they are around a buck per bag) and toss it in the microwave. See if you can stomach it better than raw. I think its great.

I will try that. Always liked the taste and texture, just not the after effects.

That sounds awesome. I haven’t done any soup on keto because I always think soup=carbs but maybe I ought to broaden my mind a little!

I strongly encourage you to do so. We had a bacon cheeseburger soup that was outstanding last week.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Can anyone share a good cauliflower za crust? ... I can’t have wheat flour, dairy, or yeast but can substitute things for them in most case and make a suitable alternative.

I have had good success with "fathead" pizza crust, but that's got a lot of cheese in it ... which is that "dairy" you can't have. If you can substitute something for the cheese ... don't know how that would work with this recipe ... you can try it. Plenty of recipes online.

I think some pre-made cauliflower crusts are available online and at some supermarkets.

I have had good success with "fathead" pizza crust, but that's got a lot of cheese in it ... which is that "dairy" you can't have. If you can substitute something for the cheese ... don't know how that would work with this recipe ... you can try it. Plenty of recipes online.

I think some pre-made cauliflower crusts are available online and at some supermarkets.

Thanks much for that. I Just looked and have it now, and Miyoko’s (
) or others have some d/f mozzo using either coconut or almond. Everything of concern does look to be substitutable. I appreciate your reply!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's one version of the keto creamy cauliflower faux mashed taters.

Attachments

• Keto Creamy Cauliflower Faux-Mashed Potatoes.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 9

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's the Keto chocolate bars from the first post in this thread. We make a big batch every weekend. It is one of our favorites.

Keto Chocolate Bar Recipe.

How to make impressive low carb dessert

1 1/2 Cup - Cacao Butter

1 1/4 Cup - Cacao Powder

About 1/4 cup of non-sugar Sweetener to taste (I recommend Swerve Confectioners Powder)

1) Make a bain-marie by fitting a glass or ceramic bowl over a saucepan of water. Do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the actual water. Bring the water to the boil then turn it down to a simmer. Very slowly melt the cacao butter in the bowl of the bain-marie. Take the cacao butter to no higher than 40–45°C/104–113°F. If you think it is getting too hot but hasn’t all melted, take it off the heat to finish melting. It is important not to overheat it or the chocolate will taste grainy and be ‘bloomed’, with a white cloudy appearance. When the cacao butter has melted and is at around 40–45°C/104–113°F, add the rest of the ingredients. This should lower the temperature and we now want to bring it down to 28–30°C/82–86°F; just above or below will be fine.

2) Blend all the ingredients together with a hand-held blender to get rid of any cacao powder lumps and until velvety smooth and glossy. Do not over-blend or the chocolate will stiffen too much. If it is too stiff, place the bowl back over the hot water and stir gently for a minute or so then remove from the heat. 3) Keep stirring the chocolate gently to cool it then, when around 28–30°C/82–86°F, pour it into a silicon mold. Add your toppings. Then refrigerate until hard. Toppings I used are: - Sea salt and almond slices - Instant coffee

I use a non-stick mini muffin pan for each bar.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
20190120_171201.jpg
20190120_171206.jpg
Tonight we made Keto tortilla shrimp soup. The base is made from dried peppers, grilled onion, garlic, two small tomatoes and chicken broth. A little jack cheese, cilantro, avocado, sour cream and hot sauce on top.

Top Bottom