What's new

Keto

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last night we made grilled burgers with king sized portabella mushrooms for buns. I made a condiment with sugar free BBQ sauce, German mustard, Worcestershire and a touch of liquid smoke. Sharp cheddar and avocado slices on top. The Missus approved with a kiss on the lips.:tongue3:

It was in the 1920's that the diet was implemented in regards to epilepsy, was sugar a major issue in people's diet in that day and age?
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
was sugar a major issue in people's diet in that day and age?

As a matter of fact, that period is noted for a strong American sweet tooth and sugar indulgences, in large part due to Prohibition. Alcoholic drinks were replaced by sugary soft drinks and fruit juices, and people replaced their tipple with coffee and candy or cake. Maltsters stayed in business by selling malt extract as a sweetener and ingredient in baking. Desserts and even appetizers became markedly more sweet, often incorporating the fairly recent sugar-based "marshmallow" and Marshmallow Fluff and topped with powdered sugar. It was dawn of the sweetened fruit cocktail, which also often was topped with marshmallows and powdered sugar. Jell-O really hit its stride.

As a matter of fact, that period is noted for a strong American sweet tooth and sugar indulgences, in large part due to Prohibition. Alcoholic drinks were replaced by sugary soft drinks and fruit juices, and people replaced their tipple with coffee and candy or cake. Maltsters stayed in business by selling malt extract as a sweetener and ingredient in baking. Desserts and even appetizers became markedly more sweet, often incorporating the fairly recent sugar-based "marshmallow" and Marshmallow Fluff and topped with powdered sugar. It was dawn of the sweetened fruit cocktail, which also often was topped with marshmallows and powdered sugar. Jell-O really hit its stride.

Thank you Doak, i always have much to learn!
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Tonight was reversed seared bone-in pork chops. Side was faux cauliflower mashed taters with sauteed mushrooms and asparagus. Topped with crumbly bacon.

Being snowed in ... tonight is leftovers... SWMBO made chili yesterday while I was getting 16" of snow off the roof. It was stew meat, ground beef, bacon and I think a bit of pork sausage, crushed tomatoes, a can of paste and spices. She made it too hot for her to eat (but how I like it). Did I mention being snowed in (snow in 500+ ft driveway is >24") so I am making due with another bowl of yummy with some diced onion as a topping. When I am able to get out I will wander forth and acquire some veggies of some sort. But this stuff is really good so I don't mind eating it for a couple days in a row.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Being snowed in ... tonight is leftovers... SWMBO made chili yesterday while I was getting 16" of snow off the roof. It was stew meat, ground beef, bacon and I think a bit of pork sausage, crushed tomatoes, a can of paste and spices. She made it too hot for her to eat (but how I like it). Did I mention being snowed in (snow in 500+ ft driveway is >24") so I am making due with another bowl of yummy with some diced onion as a topping. When I am able to get out I will wander forth and acquire some veggies of some sort. But this stuff is really good so I don't mind eating it for a couple days in a row.
How does one get snow off of the roof? I grew up in Cleveland, but on the west side (pure hell takes place east of the Cuyahoga River) and never had to do this.

How does one get snow off of the roof? I grew up in Cleveland, but on the west side (pure hell takes place east of the Cuyahoga River) and never had to do this.

Normally in the greater seattle area if we get snow it goes away quickly (like same or next day). The problem I have is I am in a single wide temporary home prior to getting a real house built. A roof was built over it about 20 years ago but I believe that it was just built and nobody looked at codes/guidelines/engineering/etc. Having 1-2ft of fluffy snow on the roof doesn't bother me. What does is if the weather gets warmer and we get rain... I then have a 1-2 foot thick slushy on the roof and I am pretty darn sure that would be heavier than it can support.

I don't recommend this approach to anyone... but I climbed up on the roof with a snow shovel. I started at one end at the peak and started shoveling. I learned that a thin layer of compressed snow on a pitched roof is slippery as heck! The good news is the frozen bits of moss that I hadn't gotten around to cleaning off makes a relatively okay foot hold. It was two and a half hours of hard work and I was probably lucky I didn't fall off the roof at some point during the process.

Oh and to swing back around to the topic of this thread... the chili was awesome the second day too.

I don’t do the whole Keto thing but I’ve been low carb for around 15 yrs. I’m 45, bp is good and I’m not on any maintenance meds. I weigh around 175 and I’m 6 1”. I travel a lot and have a professional job so exercise isn’t something I get at work, this keeps the pounds off and my wardrobe stable. I do lift weights 4 days a week and drink tons of coors light and love ketchup. Those two are my vices. My son is a college baseball player and the whole team does the Keto diet and I gotta say he looks like an Adonis on it, but then again so did I at 19 lol.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My son is a college baseball player and the whole team does the Keto diet and I gotta say he looks like an Adonis on it, but then again so did I at 19 lol.

Just saw this. Compare a baseball player from 1979 to 2019.

This morning was an omelette. Stuffed inside are sauted cabbage and kale from my garden, uncured smoked sausage, onions, garlic, organic sharp cheddar and a small amount of hot sauce from Hell. Topped with cilantro, avocado and a milder hot sauce. The egg was flavored with cumin, black pepper, turmeric, garlic and onion powder.
20190313_082027.jpg
20190313_082035.jpg

Egg white wraps filled with chicken breast and fajita veggies, topped with fresh salsa Verde and Cholula, of course!

Check out the egg white wraps, guys. Find them in the eggs and dairy section, premade.

I'm deep into losing this last bit of body fat, so my diet varies as far as calories and macros are concerned. Right now, I'm doing more of a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) so it's both low carb and low fat. Trying to get sub-10% bodyfat for my own amusement, really. Since January of last year, I'm down 156lbs. Could've been more, but I also indulge any cravings I have, occasionally. Helps with long-term adherence, as far as I'm concerned, just as long as you don't go completely off the rails.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Egg white wraps filled with chicken breast and fajita veggies, topped with fresh salsa Verde and Cholula, of course!

Check out the egg white wraps, guys. Find them in the eggs and dairy section, premade.

I'm deep into losing this last bit of body fat, so my diet varies as far as calories and macros are concerned. Right now, I'm doing more of a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) so it's both low carb and low fat. Trying to get sub-10% bodyfat for my own amusement, really. Since January of last year, I'm down 156lbs. Could've been more, but I also indulge any cravings I have, occasionally. Helps with long-term adherence, as far as I'm concerned, just as long as you don't go completely off the rails.
Wow, sounds like keto has really worked for you. I eat perfectly on keto but I like to drink some liquor on the weekends. This weekend may be a cheat though, I've picked up some venison/pork cheese and jalapeno sausages. I want to put them into a bun with my homemade sauerkraut and German mustard.

And there has been lots and lots of cheating, err..."refeeds" on my end! I've actually been doing keto on and off for twenty years, ever since I began bodybuilding and powerlifting. Keto plus intermittent fasting is by far the most effective eating protocol for fat loss, in my opinion. If one remains more or less consistent, the changes are visible almost daily, so it really helps with motivation for a lot of people. The calories in vs calories out model is far too simplistic to be of much use anymore, and nutritionists are beginning to learn that. It does work for some people, but it's far more complicated than that and has much more to do with hormonal manipulation via food than it does with total daily energy expenditure and a 'balanced diet', as so many people like to call it.

Top Bottom