What's new

Just ordered my first SR! Advice needed.

Hello gents after a VERY long hiatus from all social media and B&B I have returned seeking advice. I have mastered shaving with my ATT R1 razor amd I have always desired to learn the ways of straight razor shaving. I ordered a 5/8 Round point Ralf Aust with Olivewood scales from Maggards along with some chromium oxide paste, and a 3" latigo red leather strop w/ hanger. I understand how to strop with light to no pressure, but im confused on a few levels.

1. How often will I need to hone my razor and I see that lapping film is the cheapest route?

2. What maintenance does a SR require that my DE doesn't?

3. What are some techniques for shaving around a very PROUD Adam's apple? (Thanks Dad.)

Any advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

Hello gents after a VERY long hiatus from all social media and B&B I have returned seeking advice. I have mastered shaving with my ATT R1 razor amd I have always desired to learn the ways of straight razor shaving. I ordered a 5/8 Round point Ralf Aust with Olivewood scales from Maggards along with some chromium oxide paste, and a 3" latigo red leather strop w/ hanger. I understand how to strop with light to no pressure, but im confused on a few levels.

1. How often will I need to hone my razor and I see that lapping film is the cheapest route?

3. What are some techniques for shaving around a very PROUD Adam's apple? (Thanks Dad.)

source.gif

First, congratulations on mastering the ways of the DE and welcome to the glorious and always entertaining rabbit hole of straight razors. You have chosen a fantastic maker for your first blade, heir Aust produces some of the very best German made blades of our time.

As to your questions:
  1. You will basically only need to do touch ups on you blade with the pasted side of your fabric component strop or or on a pasted balsa strop. This blade coming from Aust should have a fine shave ready edge on it, so touch ups will be sufficient. If for example you accidentally tap the edge against the faucet(I've been there...) you will need to have your blade honed, but otherwise you should be fine for quite some time. Now, if you feel it is just not shaving you well anymore, maybe 6-9 months of constant use and touch ups give or take, it may be time to ship her off to someone for a refresh. OR pick up a set of stones(RABBIT HOLE) or some lapping film and figure out how to hone your blade yourself. Any of us will gladly help you on your journey.
  2. Maintenance that your straight razor will require:
    1. Stropping(You already know this) after each shave on the fabric component on the fabric component first and then on leather. OPTIONAL strop before each use on leather.
    2. Honing every 6-9 months maybe.
    3. Touch ups every week or so on pasted strop? If needed.
    4. Dry your blade with toilet paper. Don't forget to wipe out the inside of the scales and around the pivot pin too. Allow the blade to rest open in a dry room. I've never found it absolutely necessary to oil my blades, but if you want, oil it if you're gonna put it away for an extended period of time with some 3-in-one, mineral oil, etc...
  3. Shaving around the Adam's Apple is a contentious issue for some. Myself, my Adam's Apple is not SO pronounced as others, but I still time my time and use care. Typically I will use my free hand to stretch my skin from one side of the apple to the other, so I can work around it. I never typically go right over it otherwise I'd be flirting with disaster.... Above all take your time and you will learn what works best for you.
Lastly, I'd like to stress the importance of learning to become ambidextrous and shave each side of your face with the corresponding hand. THIS is not absolutely necessary, but it is quite helpful when creating the angles needed to perform an excellent shave. YMMV. I do only go against the grain on my neck with my dominant hand, while others use both hands. No matter what you do, enjoy your shave and do what you've already done, ask for lots of advice and you shall receive a bunch in turn.

Dark side.gif

Welcome to the Dark Side of the forum!

Matt

You will need a mentor and I volunteer @steveclarkus. Just follow his advise.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You've already received some great advice.

I've recently been convinced it might be worth it to strop the razor both immediately after each shave and right before each shave. I'm experimenting with this practice. So far I'm finding it helps.

I think there is general agreement that the straight razor likes a very wet lather. On top of that I have found that some soaps seem a bit more or less inclined to work well with the straight.

One of the most important parts of SR shaving is having a sharp razor. It must be sharp.

Most people say it takes a hundred shaves to learn the straight razor and become decent at shaving with it. I'm down to the last two of my hundred shaves. It's been an interesting journey so far. I've gotten much better with the razor, but I also know I've more to learn.

As long as you keep the blood inside your skin you're doing well. Especially early on.

The big dead about straight razor shaving is, in my opinion, comfort. If it isn't comfortable you need to find out why.

Some of the SR shaving videos are very useful. Some, not so much.

Ask lots of questions. Many gentlemen are willing to help. Not willing, eager.

Happy shaves,

Jim

good answers so far. i’ll only add about the adams apple.

use the swallowng reflex to move the adams apple as you slowly shave where it was but isnt anymore

Top Bottom