What's new

Straight Razor or Metal Case, best for storage of carbon steel straight razor

Hello Badger and Blade,

I am a new Straight Razor user, purchasing a The Art of Shaving Dovo 5 /8 Carbon Steel Straight Razor with Grenadille Dark Wood scales as a Christmas Gift to myself.

Screenshot_20240124_113052.jpg17081255478206811631103401711282.jpg17081256177495375282615112646593.jpg
I have enjoyed it, and the learning curve was a little tough but a nice transition. I have used all required maintenance steps needed such ensure carbon steel straight razor is stropped, oiled, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and throughly towel dried.
I want to ask your opinions about storage of the straight razor. Personally, I will like to place in on a Straight Razor and Brush Stand like the Dovo Straight Razor and Brush Stand For Large Brushes in Stainless Steel in between shaves, but have mixed recommendations. The Art of Shaving customer service representative said that they recommend to store in the included Metal Case, but another rep said with proper care as I do should be fine. I also spoke with the new CEO/Owner of Dovo, stating a straight razor and brush stand should be fine offering some recommendations from Muhleshaving.com with a straight razor stand being available from the Dovo.com later in the year.

So, I am leaning towards just storing in the included Metal Case shown below to prevent rusting and oxidation on carbon steel blade, but am still considering the Dovo Straight Razor and Brush Stand For Large Brushes - Stainless Steel (made before new ownership). What are you thoughts and opinions on storage of a Straight Razor? Thank you in advance for your assistance and recommendations.

-Michael B

17081256481763961567815153947752.jpgScreenshot_20240124_043535.jpg
P. S.
Below you can see additional pictures of my straight razor, Badger hair shaving brushes, and shaving products. The Shaving Setup is on the Window Ledge in my bathroom (has a good exhaust fan, so humidity is fairly low). As you can see I have been pretty into wet shaving since going to The Art of Shaving back in 2010.
170812691217562455808348123551.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124_113052.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124_113052.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240124_113304.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124_113304.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 6
If you leave it open to let it dry completely after you shave, it probably doesn't matter much after that. I'd want to make sure it was fully dry before putting it in a case of any kind.
Thank you very much for your response and recommendation. Yes, you are 100% right keeping it dry is paramount to prevent rusting.

If you mind me asking, how do you store your Straight Razor(s), especially the one you use most often? Is it in a wood box such as those sold by Thierrs - Issad, on a Straight Razor Stand, or something else?

Last edited:
Yep, let it sry thoroughly. You can put a coat of Rennaisance wax on your razors in use, but dry is rule 1.
Thank you for the suggestion, Steve. I will have to look Renaissance Wax up and may try it out once the Dovo Special Straight Razor Oil I bought is finished.

If you want to go the oil route, food grade silicone oil is cheap and what they use in the razor/gun ‘socks’.
Thanks, I will check that out. I actually purchased two bottles of Dovo Special Straight Razor Oil from dovoonline.com a few weeks ago. It seems OK, similar to Canola Oil (low acid rapeseed oil, often used in motor/machine oil).

If you mind me asking, how do you store your straight razor(s), especially the one used most regularly? Do you store in a wooden box such as those sold by Thierrs-Issad, on a Straight Razor Stand, or something else?
Thanks again for your assistance and recommendations as they are helpful as I move forward using my carbon steel straight razor.

If you leave it open to let it dry completely after you shave, it probably doesn't matter much after that. I'd want to make sure it was fully dry before putting it in a case of any kind.
Thank you very much for your response and advice. It is greatly appreciated and helpful as I continue using my new The Art of Shaving Dovo 5/8" Carbon Steel Straight Razor.

Legion

Staff member
Thank you very much for your response and recommendation. Yes, you are 100% right keeping it dry is paramount to prevent rusting.

If you mind me asking, how do you store your Straight Razor(s), especially the one you use most often? Is it in a wood box such as those sold by Thierrs - Issad, on a Straight Razor Stand, or something else?
It all depends on how humid the area you live is, and where the razor is stored. Personally I store my collection in sealed containers with a light coat of mineral oil applied. But the razor that I use regularly, my daily driver, just gets dried well, and lives in its vintage cardboard coffin. Never had an issue, but I don't live in a particularly humid part of the world. If I was using your razor I'd just dry it well after use and keep it in its tin for protection. At the end of the day I don't like to keep razors on stands or in the open because there is always a chance they can get knocked off and damaged.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thanks, I will check that out. I actually purchased two bottles of Dovo Special Straight Razor Oil from dovoonline.com a few weeks ago. It seems OK, similar to Canola Oil (low acid rapeseed oil, often used in motor/machine oil).

If you mind me asking, how do you store your straight razor(s), especially the one used most regularly? Do you store in a wooden box such as those sold by Thierrs-Issad, on a Straight Razor Stand, or something else?
Thanks again for your assistance and recommendations as they are helpful as I move forward using my carbon steel straight razor.

I ise a razor stamd for the ‘rotation’. It allows air to circulate and the razors can be stored with the blades slightly open to facilitate the evaporation of any residual moisture.

For longer term storage, either razor socks in a plastic ‘Tupperware’ food type box, or in their coffins with a piece of VCI paper.

IMG_3634.jpeg

This is one of my storage solutions. It's a little small. It would be nice to have something that carried more blades.
Argan oil is applied after each use.
20240221_131354.jpg

Lately I've been storing razors in VCI paper and I think I'll be getting more sheets. Never had issues coating blades in oil but VCI seems to work very well too and isn't messy. My rule of thumb- if I don't use (or plan on) using a particular razor for 7 days, it will be stored responsibly to prevent rust. Otherwise the razor just stays out in the open (I don't have kids).

There are a number of good threads on this topic. These two are good:

Yea, it all depends on the conditions where the razors are stored and the humidity where you live.

I’m in California, and I do not oil or wax. I keep my current “rotation” of about 50 razors in a clear Lucite box with 3-drawers and razors in use, usually 2-4 out in the open on or next to the box in the bathroom.

I have installed 2, bathroom high-volume exhaust fans that clear the moist air from the bathroom in a few minutes and have never had any rust issues. You can also install a timer on/off switch that will run the fan for a pre-selected time, about $30-40.

Now if I lived closer to the ocean, which could all change.

The only time I oil, (Ballistol with a Q-Tip) is when I ship. I oil, wrap in newsprint and seal in a plastic zip loc bag, in a cardboard box filled with shredded paper. Mostly to protect against rain.

I also store hundreds of collection razors in plastic shoe boxes, razors laid flat with sheets of paper towels between the razors stacked 4-5 layers deep and stored in a closet. I go through the collection regularly to check for rust, off gassing or a razor that interest me and will be honed and added to the “Rotation”.

I too dont oil or wax. Storage in a wooden cabinet that has plenty of air flow. Meaning its a very old cabinet. With over 200 razors ive jever had an issue. Matbe its the Colorado air? Who knows. Just be sure to let it dry open some for a few hours before storing.

Top Bottom