What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Razor: Muhle Rytmo (shimmed)
Blade: Treet Black beauty (3)
Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Scheep
Brush: Muhle Rytmo badger
Aftershave: Alcolado Glacial - Proraso red mix
Aftershave: Nivea Balm

The Treet BB isn't a good combination with the Muhle Rytmo.
7.5/10

Missing pic SOTD
CBEF5FDB-A51A-4381-8D66-91192B325E0C.jpeg

My fixed setup for a 2 week vacation - open for comments & suggestions…

I will participate in this years Shark Week. The plan is to exclusively use the FOCS with the 3 iterations of the Shark blade SS, SC, Plat. The Tech and the Astras are on board as a fallback and for headshaving.

The Omega Travel Boar was last year’s choice and worked beautifully so it’s again in the kit.
AS will be decanted Floid with Italian Palmolive rinfrescante as cream. The Mirror and the 3P pre/post cream are contingencies as are the alum matches.
2288ABCD-B757-4A05-A205-29384089441F.jpeg

Still in.

They say that you keep improving as you shave with a straight razor. Seems to be true, but what they don't tell you is that there are disadvantages. Today, I wanted to shave, but my hand and my eye told me I didn't need a shave. Finally had to resort to using a magnifying mirror. "Look! See! Whiskers! You do need a shave."

1625352307992.png

A green stone brush, an SV shave soap, and a little Ralf Aust 4/8 with a pronounced French point.

These pointy razors used to scare me, but curiosity got the better of me. Turns out it wasn't hard to use at all. In fact, it was excellent for effortlessly shaving out my neck hollows, and hitting the fine details around the facial hair I keep.

The 4/8 form really works well for me. Light, maneuverable, and perfect for touchups. Maybe a little too perfect. I spent so many passes doing touchup on my neck, partly because I was enjoying it, partly in pursuit of the unattainable BBS neck, that I got some irritation out of pure repetition.

Still, I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and the result was as near-perfect a shave as I can remember.

I'm out!

I've bowed out of GRUYERE as no new purchase was allowed, replacement was allowed.

My reason for the purchase led me in the Grey area in rules, and although I was given a choice to decide for myself if it was a necessary purchase or not.

It was a necessary purchase but I didn't felt honest with myself about being "Still in".

So here I'm calling myself out of the July GRUME, since I didn't do so in June GRUME.

I like to be honest with myself and fellow gentlemen, and I feel much better now.

Good luck with the GRUME, I'll join in upcoming months.
I applaud your integrity. You're taking the hit in July when you're self-correcting for June, so I hope that you'll continue to play along with us and post, even if you're officially out.
I’m out.
I have Gillette Tech coming from the Tech PIF.
I hope you enjoy it!

And when brothers fall, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @hopper_64
3) @Sinnbad11
4) @SharpieB
5) @Roedeer
6) @Herrenberg
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - out (7/3: Home-made ASB in June)
10) @henrickd - GRUYERE
11) @JKar
12) @Doti B
13) @mattps1
14) @Tomo
15) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52 - out (7/3: Gillette Tech from PIF)
17) @‘Bout Time
18) @pdieten - GRUYERE
19) @Stuart Ganis
20) @wmadoty - GRUYERE
21) @Timeclo
22) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE, QUADSAB
23) @sandorfi
24) @linty1
25) @tjsgarden
26) @Kyle89
27) @Multum in parvo
28) @FL shaver
29) @scoots
30) @Abz88

Day 3, 9.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SS #2, GC.84 SB, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Another test drive of Astra SS, using the R3 plate to tame it. Got a pleasingly close Pass 1, but the verdict was still "sharp but not smooth enough". Chickened out of using it XTG/ATG on my neck, and finished the job with the Game Changer and Astra SP.

This blade might pair up effectively with R2. It's quite a contrast to the easygoing Astra SP, which is my favourite production blade.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in.

And we are finally back online/internet at the new place. No shave yet, soon, need to rearrangement and get stuff put away. First things first, got the kids crib set up. Next, headed to the thermostat and get the ac going to a confortable temp.

I hope you guys have all been keeping well in the meanwhile.

Still in.
Tonight’s shave

3023BF86-DD3A-4760-8BBC-DFDEC09084CD.jpeg

iKon X3. Trafalgar 2 and a tube of Proraso I’m trying to use up. Ended up with a lather much thicker than I prefer, which is particularly bad for a razor whose shaving angle is so small and hard to find I couldn’t get much feel at all. It all ended up okay but the experience was not my favorite. Another razor and brush losing their reasons to stay in the house.

Still in, just a quick single pass shave today.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- La Toja shave stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Stirling Tea Tree, Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- L'Occitane Cade After-Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette Aluminium handle Tech (Sportsman style handle)
- BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Fragrance for the day
- Floris JF EDT

Still in

Schick Injector Type E3
Schick Injector (12)
Mike's Bay Rum
Yaqi Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I had a great BBS Birthday shave today! I'm looking forward to a day Family and friends, fixing burgers and dogs, drinking beer and Fireworks!

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans and Happy Birthday to me!

Still in

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Robeson Shuredge straight
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Cedar and Pine

This has been my setup for awhile. I’ve never had a BBS especially on the neck, but after chasing it a couple times I realized I don’t care that much. I just do a single pass shave every day and I’m happy with that. On a day where kids are screaming I might do a two pass, both WTG.

Top Bottom