What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Had a great shave with the Rocnel Sailor 2021 adjustable Razor that I picked up in May. It definitely has taught me that certain razor designs allow for using cheap/subpar blades yet give unexpectedly great results.

SOTD
Rocnel Sailor 2021
Lord Super Stainless (2)
MdC Original soap
Simpsons Chubby 1 manchurian
Thayers WH
Frag: Amouage Figment

Still in.

We got back on the grid about 3 am. It doesn’t get dark here so we decided to push through until we were back with electricity, internet and running hot/cold water. We head out again tomorrow. I’m hoping it warms up and the rain stops.

I had a nice shave but had to work my way around the mosquito bites. That was a challenge. I also used different kit then usual.

Head shave and beard trim.

» Karve CB
» Standard head
» OC A plate
» 3” handle
» Personna Platinum (1 and done)
» Simpson Wee Scot w/custom travel tube
» PAA Diver Down CK-6 stick

I really like the Karve. I brought the mild OC plate with a mind to not shaving every day, having to work around bug bites and not having any pre/post shave other then water. Mission accomplished. It worked really well and I had a comfortable DFS. I think I’m going to let the trade stand and keep it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Quick question; I sent my second razor out for honing earlier this week, can I use it when it comes back, or is that cheating?

I think that honing services are ok under GRUME, assuming they are "necessary" (meaning you don't hone).

4. Any shaving-related services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint if they are not strictly necessary.

Getting a "second razor" honed may be considered necessary so that there is always a sharp one available. Deferring the honing means that eventually you cannot shave.

Still in!

Not too much work to do today so played with the stones. Put another fresh edge on one of my rolls blades. Although there is still some room for improvement, the shave was great. Had a hard time getting even polish throughout the entire bevel, which can be due to all sorts of things. Got some work to do.

1st shave of July
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Soap: Monsavon Bol A Rase
Razor: Gillette Black Beauty (9/7/5)
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Brush:Omega S-Brush
Post-Shave:
Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Trumper Portugal EDT

Lovely BBS shave again. Hopefully might get to 3017 this soap this month, which would be good 😎😎😎

Still in.

I love shaving with a straight razor. Every day that I plan to shave, I look forward to the shave.

Until today, that is. Because this was my first day shaving with this.
1625260696848.png

Yes, it's the famous/infamous Arko. It has many fans, and many detractors. The detractors mostly seem to talk about the scent, and to locate it somewhere in the range of urinal cakes, Lemon Pledge, and citronella candles.

Yikes. Why am I doing this, again? I wondered if I should take it outside, and stand upwind of it when I opened it, like you see people doing with that Swedish canned rotted fish delicacy on YouTube. By the way, if you watch any of those videos, I suggest choosing ones whose titles specify that no vomiting happened.

When I opened the container, all I got was a sort of mild fake-lemon, so I figured I could take it.

It made lather very quickly, quicker than anything else I can remember. This is not a luxurious lather, but it lubricates well. So I lathered up and slapped a wet towel on my face for my cold-water version of Kyle's Prep.

Two minutes into the towel soak, I started to get a headache. That could be a coincidence, but it didn't feel like one. You know how when you eat three things and get food poisoning, all you have to do is think of each of those three things in turn, and your nausea will signal which one was the problem? It was like that. I could make the headache worse by thinking about the scent of Arko.

Nevertheless, I persisted. I got a good shave with the 70 HRC steel of the Titan blade, no complaints about the shave. But all during it, I kept getting a feeling of wrongness from the scent. I can't put it any better than that, there was some part of me saying "No. Just no."

It washed off very easily, more easily than any other soap I can remember.

If there was such a thing as unscented Arko, I might consider it as a travel soap, for the good lather. As it is, though, I think I've had my first and last Arko shave.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find some aspirin.

Day 2, 6.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Brut AS.

Had an insect bite to avoid, but excellent result apart from that.

I've almost worn a hole through the MWF puck. It's been going since the 1st February.

Still in.

I love shaving with a straight razor. Every day that I plan to shave, I look forward to the shave.

View attachment 1290747
Yes, it's the famous/infamous Arko. It has many fans, and many detractors. The detractors mostly seem to talk about the scent, and to locate it somewhere in the range of urinal cakes, Lemon Pledge, and citronella candles.

Yikes. Why am I doing this, again? I wondered if I should take it outside, and stand upwind of it when I opened it, like you see people doing with that Swedish canned rotted fish delicacy on YouTube. By the way, if you watch any of those videos, I suggest choosing ones whose titles specify that no vomiting happened.

When I opened the container, all I got was a sort of mild fake-lemon, so I figured I could take it.

It made lather very quickly, quicker than anything else I can remember. This is not a luxurious lather, but it lubricates well. So I lathered up and slapped a wet towel on my face for my cold-water version of Kyle's Prep.

Two minutes into the towel soak, I started to get a headache. That could be a coincidence, but it didn't feel like one. You know how when you eat three things and get food poisoning, all you have to do is think of each of those three things in turn, and your nausea will signal which one was the problem? It was like that. I could make the headache worse by thinking about the scent of Arko.

Nevertheless, I persisted. I got a good shave with the 70 HRC steel of the Titan blade, no complaints about the shave. But all during it, I kept getting a feeling of wrongness from the scent. I can't put it any better than that, there was some part of me saying "No. Just no."

If there was such a thing as unscented Arko, I might consider it as a travel soap, for the good lather. As it is, though, I think I've had my first and last Arko shave.

Arko has 4 different shaving creams that are only mildly scented and none of them is citronella. They make indeed a fine travel cream even though it’s not the tallow base of the stick/puck.
74C75701-DCF4-4CC0-B689-8E58A73CACAB.jpeg

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in.

View attachment 1290747

I dimly recall reading that at least one other poster had some difficulty with the scent of Arko.

I'm out!

I've bowed out of GRUYERE as no new purchase was allowed, replacement was allowed.

My reason for the purchase led me in the Grey area in rules, and although I was given a choice to decide for myself if it was a necessary purchase or not.

It was a necessary purchase but I didn't felt honest with myself about being "Still in".

So here I'm calling myself out of the July GRUME, since I didn't do so in June GRUME.

I like to be honest with myself and fellow gentlemen, and I feel much better now.

Good luck with the GRUME, I'll join in upcoming months.

Still in.

Evening SOTD with Stirling ST plate razor and Nacet (5)

Tweaking with the angle of the razor, I've gotten great shaves the past two days. But pushing the blade til 5th use seems to dull it a bit and I had to buff more than usual to get the BBS. Average sting with the alum. Decent shave today

Top Bottom