What's new

July 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This restraint is for July 1-31, 2021.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in July, feel free to jump in. Registration closes on the 15th.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases.

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the June GRUME, 7/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
1.b. If you were not in the June GRUME, you do not get a restock date in July; plan ahead and see Rule 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

2. No personal shaving purchases in July. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling or testing of those gift items.

3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc.) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The "Birthday Rule": Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.

4. Any shaving-related services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint if they are not strictly necessary.

5. You are encouraged to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs. Signing up for a product waitlist (without placing a deposit) is acceptable.

6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:

1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)

2. During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.

3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:

Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until July 15th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:

Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:

Copy the entire list below
and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - [Month] 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
1) FoolishMortal
2) hopper_64
3) sinnbad11
4) sharpieB
5) Roedeer
6) Herrenberg
7) Owen Bawn

My first GRUME was July 2020. I washed out of the August GRUME, and again in February 2021, so that makes me 10 for 12. Not bad. And in both cases where I dropped out, I only purchased one item. A LE Simpsons M6 Manchurian with an ebony handle, and the last Brad Sears 26mm fan he'll ever sell. The GRUMEs really have given me a sense of discipline and control. The fact that I have made it through all of the Alrossa Simpsons madness without spending a cent is remarkable. I know for a fact that left to my own devices I would have bought a Chubby3 in both Best and Super, a Tulip 3, probably a Commodore and a Berkeley, and this week I might have even jumped on the ridiculous Keyhole 4 that's on sale. But I haven't, and it's in large part because of the GRUME. So thanks to all.

I’m in. It’s good to be back in from the cold.

1) FoolishMortal
2) hopper_64
3) sinnbad11
4) sharpieB
5) Roedeer
6) Herrenberg
7) Owen Bawn
8) RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
10) henrickd - GRUYERE
11) Jkar
12) Doti B
13) mattps1
14) Tomo

1) FoolishMortal
2) hopper_64
3) sinnbad11
4) sharpieB
5) Roedeer
6) Herrenberg
7) Owen Bawn
8) RumpleBearskin - QUADSAB
9) Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
10) henrickd - GRUYERE
11) Jkar
12) Doti B
13) mattps1
14) Tomo
15) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
16) Schnitzel52
17) ‘Bout Time
18) pdieten - GRUYERE

Halfway there. Woot.
I feel like it's getting close to check-in time on the GRUYERE. Going to have to go look for that thread.

Top Bottom