What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!

Head shave and beard/neck trim:

1960 Gillette Fatboy (Gillette 195)
Polsilver (1)
Zenith B03-A26-L (aka B28)
Williams Shave soap (modern)
Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel

Since I started using the Leaf for head shaving I haven’t used my DEs nearly as much. The Fatboy called to me today. Every time I use it I feel like I should be driving a huge battleship of a car, wearing a black suit with a thin tie and a dapper hat. Poetically I don’t really enjoy shaving my face or head with the Fatboy. I’ll never get rid of it because it’s so darn cool looking.

I also still like Williams. The boar did a great job with it. I don’t ever do anything but throw some water on it and let it soak while my boar brush soaks. No more then five minutes. Gives a perfectly serviceable lather with plenty of slickness.

Last edited:
Still in.

Grated myself a new Palmolive puck, and included the remains of the old one. While I was sorting out soaps, I chopped up the cratered Arko, added hot water and a dash of glycerine, and squashed it down flat again.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Personna Super Platinum Chrome #6, GC.68, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Brut AS, Nivea Balm.

The vintage Personna blade was still good, and I enjoyed the fresh soap. DFS.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was still in and used the following setup (the Sticky and Wilkinson Sword Blade was a bit of a disappointment, the blade just not being sharp enough for a VERY mild razor).

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Wilkinson Sword Sticky
- Wilkinson Sword Classic (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Friday January 22 - Still in.

IMG-1820.jpg

Razor: Gillette New RFB
Blade: Feather (9)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: Fine Platinum
Aftershave: Fine Platinum

Today, I'm out...

Here is my internal justification:

After not shaving for close to a week, I decided I would get an open comb razor to tryout the next time this happens and went for a Parker 26C. I was planning on waiting until the end of this GRUME but the big South American River Company sent me a discount code so I decided to save myself some money and buy it this month. While I was checking out a Saponificio Varesino Opuntia (4.3) soap fell into my basket as did a Le Pere Lucien Oud Neroli soap.

As I had broken GRUME I figured I would pick up the blades I had my eye on after Decembers GRUME. I've been using the Gillette King C blades and really enjoyed using them so decided to go for some Gillette Platinum Whites bases on @henrickd 's recommendation of them being very similar if not one and the same. But then I had someone else tell me that they thought the King C were more like Nacets than Platinum Whites, so I figured I'd by a 5 blade tuck of each of them to compare for myself given how much YMMV plays a part in blades.

Then, something that has never happened to me occurred, I was overtaken by a freak incident of BAD... Instead of ordering just 1 pack of Nacets and 1 pack of Platinum Whites I also picked up packs of 14 other blades to try (I'll post a picture when they arrive to save me having to type them all out!).

Good luck to everyone in finishing out January, I will be back next month with some new blades to keep me occupied and off of shaving websites!

I also still like Williams. The boar did a great job with it. I don’t ever do anything but throw some water on it and let it soak while my boar brush soaks. No more then five minutes. Gives a perfectly serviceable lather with plenty of slickness.

I read someone commenting on Williams as "slick as snail snot", and it's a pretty good representation. It's a great soap, and the more people that aren't a fan of it just means more pucks for us haha.

Has anyone tried using a vintage puck?

and apologies for the double post

I read someone commenting on Williams as "slick as snail snot", and it's a pretty good representation. It's a great soap, and the more people that aren't a fan of it just means more pucks for us haha.

Has anyone tried using a vintage puck?

and apologies for the double post

When the 2021 sabbatical is over I’m planning on trying to get ahold of a vintage. I’m interested if I can tell a difference.

Who was I kidding ?
I never back down, even after a bad shave.

Here I am, with more cautious approach and today's shave ended with a higher note than most of my shaves.

Also, I may have to eat my words for bad mouthing the Gillette Perma sharp (Indian) blades, but only after tomorrow's good shave.

Razor : RazoRock OC 84
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Perma Sharp
Brush : RazoRock Beehive
Soap : Trigodon Calm Seas
Aftershave : Suthol Chandan, Anherb ASC
Music : A Way of Life
Shave Rating : 8/10

Calm Seas is good and being a vegan soap, it is kind of sensitive to water when lathering.
So, keeping previous experiences in mind, I loaded a bit dry brush and added drops of water and it provided ample protection for 3 pass.

Scent is actually kind of sea breeze, not unpleasant and it lingers only for a short time.
IMG_20210122_222639.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Today, I'm out...

After not shaving for close to a week, I decided I would get an open comb razor to tryout the next time this happens and went for a Parker 26C. I was planning on waiting until the end of this GRUME but the big South American River Company sent me a discount code so I decided to save myself some money and buy it this month. While I was checking out a Saponificio Varesino Opuntia (4.3) soap fell into my basket as did a Le Pere Lucien Oud Neroli soap.

As I had broken GRUME I figured I would pick up the blades I had my eye on after Decembers GRUME. I've been using the Gillette King C blades and really enjoyed using them so decided to go for some Gillette Platinum Whites bases on @henrickd 's recommendation of them being very similar if not one and the same. But then I had someone else tell me that they thought the King C were more like Nacets than Platinum Whites, so I figured I'd by a 5 blade tuck of each of them to compare for myself given how much YMMV plays a part in blades.

Then, something that has never happened to me occurred, I was overtaken by a freak incident of BAD... Instead of ordering just 1 pack of Nacets and 1 pack of Platinum Whites I also picked up packs of 14 other blades to try (I'll post a picture when they arrive to save me having to type them all out!).

Good luck to everyone in finishing out January, I will be back next month with some new blades to keep me occupied and off of shaving websites!
If you're going to be out you might as well make it worth your while

Today, I'm out...

Man. I actually feel a little guilty. I’m having a lot of fun with my game though and think you will too.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.84 SB, German Wilkinson #3
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Good uneventful DFS. Missed a few bits, but that's operator error, not the razor. I should probably try using nothing but the safety bar GC.84 for a week, with one of my preferred blades.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in. For some reason this website just won't open properly for me. This site alone, not any other site. I rebooted my machine, I cleared cookies & temp files, I tried Chrome, Firefox, & the Microsoft one & they;re all the same. I even tried 3 different devices. So it must be something either here on at B&B. So if you don't hear from me, that's where I am. Took about 20 tries to get here to post this.

Top Bottom