What's new

January 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4, German Wilkinson #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

All I was looking for here was an easy DFS, but got more like a near-BBS.

There's nothing much left of the Palmolive but a ring in the bottom of the container, so I have a fresh stick ready to grate.

Still in
Gem Featherweight is back!
This razor is one of the few that make the short list of duplicates I have. I have two Featherweights, two Hydro-magics, two type gs, and two blackbirds. I have agreed to the lupo trade, I think I'll be able to pick it up after work tomorrow!
0120212202~2.jpg

I shaved twice today, but didn't manage to take any photos.

The morning shave was the ' limit ' my skin can take with continuous shaves - 27 days and with Game Changer OC 84 - 6 shaves ! :bayrum2:

It was good while it lasted, almost a month of daily shaves, six days of glass like shaves with 84 OC, something was bound to happen.

So, today's evening shave with RazoRock BBS, helped me get a clearer shave, but skin is battered (no cut, just irritation).

I'm learning to shave daily, and my skin is better because of all the pampering it gets, but experiments are costly.

Razor : RazoRock OC 84/ BBS
Soap : Hajamat/ RR Puros
Brush : Omega 10005/ Stubby 20 mm
Blade : Statum/ Parker Super Platinum
Aftershave : Anherb ASC, Old Spice Original/ Nivea Sensitive

Shave Rating : ( -/10) Face is intact, that's the saving grace.

No regrets.
Day after tomorrow - another shave :letterk1:

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
SS Shark in the red tip Super Speed; restored Ever Ready 200 with 24mm Oumo knot; Simpsons Unscented Luxury cream, and Gillette Sun Up. This Oumo knot is soft but it feels massive- it feels much bigger than 24mm. I wish I had sent this old handle to Mr Vey for a Shavemac. I've never tried one of them. Next time. A very nice shave all the same.
I'm still in. And the sun's out again.

Son of a @#$&%. I’m out. Damn you Gifts and Care. Why did I have to peruse your selection of discounted Simpson brushes?

$55US (incl shipping) later and a Simpsons Eagle 3 Pure Badger incoming... and I am done for Jan. Too hard to pass on that price. I’m just too weak.

I was doing so well too! 😢

See y’all in Feb hopefully.

Son of a @#$&%. I’m out. Damn you Gifts and Care. Why did I have to peruse your selection of discounted Simpson brushes?

$55US (incl shipping) later and a Simpsons Eagle 3 Pure Badger incoming... and I am done for Jan. Too hard to pass on that price. I’m just too weak.

It's a sexy brush, no doubt about it.
I hope you enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder, how different it all has become for me, last year I couldn't even comprehend the idea of an expensive shaving brush, now I know something about the lingo and also whole-heartedly agree to the idea of having more than one good to great quality brushes.

I'm satisfied with the brushes (for now), but I know in my heart the soaps are going to be my Achilles heel for GRUME.

Last edited:
It's a sexy brush, no doubt about it.
I hope you enjoy it.

Sometimes I wonder, how different it all has become for me, last year I couldn't even comprehend the idea of an expensive shaving brush, now I know something about the lingo and also whole-heartedly agree to the idea of having more than one good to great quality brushes.

I'm satisfied with the brushes (for now), but I know in my heart the soaps are going to be my Achilles heel for GRUME.
Brushes do get expensive but I am loving my Simpsons. I saw there was only 1 left and decided to grab it.

I have a nice Simpsons Super Badger in my Amazon cart but there are 9 left and it will wait until the end of the month.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

I hope you like it. Some do, many don't. Give it 20 or 30 lathers before you decide anything. Be sure to soak it for 3 or 4 minutes each time you use it. Do palm lathers each day or 2 if you have to. Some but not all of the prickle will change. The other thing I do with Pure knots is load them beyond heavily- I load the knot till it is ridiculously full of soap, and then I take it to the face and primarily lather using painting motions. When the knot is spread wide with soap I don't feel as much scratch. I have one G3 Pure that feels just about as nice as Best; I have another that's clearly Pure. As with all natural brushes, they're somewhat changeable from brush to brush.

I hope you like it. Some do, many don't. Give it 20 or 30 lathers before you decide anything. Be sure to soak it for 3 or 4 minutes each time you use it. Do palm lathers each day or 2 if you have to. Some but not all of the prickle will change. The other thing I do with Pure knots is load them beyond heavily- I load the knot till it is ridiculously full of soap, and then I take it to the face and primarily lather using painting motions. When the knot is spread wide with soap I don't feel as much scratch. I have one G3 Pure that feels just about as nice as Best; I have another that's clearly Pure. As with all natural brushes, they're somewhat changeable from brush to brush.
I really like my Special in Pure and have some really stiff boars, so I like a bit of scratch. Not sure about the bigger and denser knot, but I’m sure it will be great.

Thanks for the lathering tips!

Still in.
Razor: Karve SS OC-A closer than the SB-A plate. But not as good as the SB-B for me.
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: RR 400 matte black
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: RR Gold Label
A/S: Stirling Executive Man
I wasn’t planning on shaving when I did. Just doing some break in lathering with other brushes, but the lather looked so good that I had to shave. Not the closest shave but CCS for sure. Have a great day y’all!
527E5CF2-6396-432D-A7ED-92209FD1C861.jpeg

No shave today, but yesterday was...fine.

SOTD
  • NEW SC
  • Nacet (7)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Semogue SOC Taj boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Avon Moonwind Cologne
Try as I might, daily shaves are not forthcoming. I chose to use the NEW Short Comb to mow down the stubble and it did the job. Unfortunately, I caught a few nicks in the process, too. If I don't shave daily, I start to get the beginnings of ingrowns, and the SC is not forgiving of those bumps.

Onward!

Wow that is too good of a price to pass up, glad I didn't see that! Hopefully we'll see you in Feb.

Top Bottom