What's new

I'm done with the Muhle R89, so what's next?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I've found that BIC Chrome blades work as well as Feathers in my AS-D2, they last longer and cost less.

You are very correct sir, you know how I know? Cause from other's such recommendation, I already have a 100 pack of Bic Platinum blades on my list for purchase next month. So, I will be seeing very soon about those blades that everybody seems to like.

Plus, something else I like about the Bic blades already, they cost less then the Feather blades. Feather blades on average for a 10 pack, are like 4.99 a pack. But the Bic blades are I think 0.89 per pack. So those levels of savings do add up, once one buys 100 blades worth hehe.

The Edwin Jagger 3One6 is indeed a fantastic option (and it's a looker). The 6S is also a winner, with the added bonus of 6 different mildness/aggression levels.

Both of these razors are in my top 5.
Anyone know if the 30NE6 head is available separately? Also, is it the same head as used in the Mühle Rocca range, mirroring the similarity in the EJ and Mühle R89 heads?

Anyone know if the 30NE6 head is available separately? Also, is it the same head as used in the Mühle Rocca range, mirroring the similarity in the EJ and Mühle R89 heads?
The 3One6 is only available as a complete razor. The head is a very different design compared to the Rocca but the geometry is apparently very similar.

Good prep of course, shower, a pre shave balm... and a Rockwell 6C or 6S will give almost everybody a good smooth shave.Start with plate 3 and work your test shaves up from there.
Or you can try 1 or 2 shims or an adjustable razor. I never tried a Merkur progress or Parker variant, but seems like these are excellent options for most shavers.
Oh and you could try an open comb like the Yaqi Mellon, works great too for me.
But YMMV of course.

I've been shaving with the Muhle R89 for almost 5 months. It's a great and mild razor... It's great to get into wetshaving, and has a really good margin of tolerance on mistakes, but once we get though that beginner zone, it feels "short". I mean, I need to do 3 passes, and can't get that BBS without getting irritation due to overpass in some areas...

I've the Muhle R41, which I use when I get a 3 or 4 day growth, but for daily or every other day use, it's too harsh for me.

So, what could be a good razor for me? A Slant? An Open Comb? I appreciate less blade feel, but great efficacy, is that even possible?

Help me out with your suggestions :)
If you can get your hands on any of the Gillette adjustables, ie. fatboy, they are great.

Well, I just made the upgrade last week.

The choice was this little beauty:

IMG_20220410_110128.jpg

The timeless Merkur Progress! I'm just in love with it!

I have had Timeless & Wolfman, Fatip, and Muhle R41. Lots of days a Muhle R89 with a nice sharp blade does the trick. No drama. Maybe not the closest shave but it gets the job done! Try a Muhle Rocca for something a bit more aggressive.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a $20 razor, it's probably going to perform like a $20 razor.

Maybe, maybe not?

I Use an R41 almost daily. Although I have no issues with its daily use, I choose not to do my mustache area with it.

Instead, I use the all metal Wilkinson Sword TTO razor. I rate it a full "point" higher on the agressive / efficiency scale, over the R89 style razors.

I see nothing wrong with its construction or its shave to suggest that it is an inexpensive razor.

If the OP is looking for a step up in efficiency, looking for a closer shave and without irritation, I would not hesitate to recommend this Razor, which you can buy from a well known online store for around $13.50.

Two razors that fall in the middle ground that I have enjoyed are the Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6; either of those might be a good choice for you.

Yes, it might...

I like the Muhle line of products and when I read reviews about how the Rocca was between the R89 and R41, I decided to try it out...

Think I’ve lucked out and found the right razor.

I would say that you are spot on with your assessment. The Rocca is fairly new to me, maybe a half dozen shaves?

If coming from an R89 style razor, it is a simple transition to the Rocca, with no learning curve. The shave is closer and smoother than an R89 head. I have the the SS version and will typically use it on the EJ DE89 handle.

The only drawback is its price, being ten times the cost of the Wilkinson TTO. For that reason, I might suggest making the $13.50 investment first?

Top Bottom