What's new

I'm done with the Muhle R89, so what's next?

I've tried:

Feathers, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock pretty much all of them, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Rubie, Personna Platinum, Rapira Platinim, Bolzano Superinox, Astra SP, and a couple more.

All Gillettes are good, Personna and Astras, but still a need 3 passes.
Shave more by riding the cap. I find this way the key to have satisfactory shaves with any razor.

Not yet mentioned but the 2nd razor I purchased after my initial KCG was the RazoRock SLOC and it is still one of my most efficient and comfortable razors and it won't break the bank to purchase.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I would try an adjustable like mentioned above I know some people say what's the point you just get it dialed in and leave it there. But to my thinking it saves you buying extra razors or plates and spending more money. I have a merkur progress and have found if i set it on 4 I get a nice 2 pass shave sometimes I need a few touch ups. I'm still new to wet shaving but thought this may help

Many great suggestions here. I would recommend a Yates 921-M as a next razor. Super smooth and efficient. I use the H plate and it's my favorite razor daily driver. The Karve Overlander is also a great daily razor. Something like a Tatar Masamune would provide lots of options as well.....and they shave great. If you don't mind aluminum, Henson is a fantastic razor....mild yet more efficient than your current razor.

Good luck with your search. Lots of great razors out there. The real fun is finding the one that's right for you.

As quite a few have suggested check out Razorock. I started out with a DE89. After 6 months I realized it was time to try other razors. I now use a Gamechanger .84 or an SLOC from Razorock and they both give me smooth, comfortable, irritation free shaves that leave my skin as smooth as glass. I pair them with a Wizamet, KAI, Gillette Nacet, or Gillette Platinum

I’ll chime in to agree.
I also like the gc 84p. I use with the short vintage handle that allows me to go slower with more care.
The lupo is also a top contender also.
Considering cost & value these are unbelievable. Dare I say game changers.
:thumbup:

If you're willing to go with a safety bar instead of an OC razor, I'd recommend a Lord L5. They're pretty affordable on Amazon. Be warned, though, they're made of zamak and are know for breaking off where the post meets the top cap. Aside from that, they punch well above their weight.

Alternatively, you can try a FaTip Gentile. While I've not tried one (I went with the OC, first with Piccolo then with Grande), they're reputed to be less aggressive than the OC FaTips.

While FaTips are known for their blade alignment issues, as was mentioned above, those issues have been largely resolved with the Mk 2. Also, one thing that helps is to assemble the razor upside down. (I actually place the top cap on a towel. I then drop a blade on top of the cap before adding the base plate. I finish the process by screwing the handle on--or rather, down--the post.)

While I got good shaves with the Piccolo, I found the handle too thin and short for those sausages I call fingers. I found that the Grande handle suits me much better, even though I preferred heavier razors prior to using a FaTip.

Honestly, I'm more than satisfied with the shaves I get from my FaTip Grande. I get smooth and comfortable irritation-free BBS shaves with two passes plus touchups. With my milder razors, it took three passes and touchups to get the same BBS shave. The extra pass would also cause some minor irritation that I noticed when I applied an alum block.

Unless my Grande razors die on me, I don't expect to buy another razor again. Since the razors are made of brass, there's a slim chance of that happening. (This was actually my reason for moving on from my previous razors--I didn't want to end up with a broken zamac razor while shaving.)

I started with the R89. Experimented with different blades (the supplied Muhle and a Feather worked best for me). It’s a nice razor.

I like the Muhle line of products and when I read reviews about how the Rocca was between the R89 and R41, I decided to try it out.

Ordered both the black handle and birchbark. Figured I’d return whichever wasn’t as nice in my hand.

Fast forward to today and I’ve kept both. I love them. I don’t grow a heavy beard. Don’t think I need anything more aggressive. Just right. Close shave and the weight/design are very comfortable for me. They never slip.

Think I’ve lucked out and found the right razor.

B41EBBAE-3DFE-4104-A895-A35C0A19DCD4.jpeg
B3000681-6483-45D7-9BC3-CD6D76433DEF.jpeg

I've been shaving with the Muhle R89 for almost 5 months. It's a great and mild razor... It's great to get into wetshaving, and has a really good margin of tolerance on mistakes, but once we get though that beginner zone, it feels "short". I mean, I need to do 3 passes, and can't get that BBS without getting irritation due to overpass in some areas...

I've the Muhle R41, which I use when I get a 3 or 4 day growth, but for daily or every other day use, it's too harsh for me.

So, what could be a good razor for me? A Slant? An Open Comb? I appreciate less blade feel, but great efficacy, is that even possible?

Help me out with your suggestions :)
Parker 94R or any Parker 3 piece is a good, low cost jumping off point for getting more efficient/aggressive blade feel.

I used the world’s cheapest DE with any blade to get BBS every time without multiple passes unless I totally miss a spot. I give you the basic, mild, super cheap Badass DE that performs as well as any expensive razor just looks ugly. I never would have bought this one myself, but it was a freebie with an order. Somehow it has become an absolute
0BD3E4E7-2A18-4E48-8D1B-F0887AF66E37.jpeg
regular shaver in my rotation.

So, what could be a good razor for me? A Slant? An Open Comb? I appreciate less blade feel, but great efficacy, is that even possible?

Help me out with your suggestions :)
I (and many others on here) really like the Gillette Tech as a mild but fairly efficient razor. It also doesn't clog up like an R89.

There's no need to get an expensive or tatty vintage Tech. You can get a modern one from China. Search for Gillette Super Blue razor on the bay. They cost peanuts (I bought 3!). If you like it you might want to put a better handle on it. The one from your R89 will fit.

Top Bottom