What's new

I'm done with the Muhle R89, so what's next?

I've been shaving with the Muhle R89 for almost 5 months. It's a great and mild razor... It's great to get into wetshaving, and has a really good margin of tolerance on mistakes, but once we get though that beginner zone, it feels "short". I mean, I need to do 3 passes, and can't get that BBS without getting irritation due to overpass in some areas...

I've the Muhle R41, which I use when I get a 3 or 4 day growth, but for daily or every other day use, it's too harsh for me.

So, what could be a good razor for me? A Slant? An Open Comb? I appreciate less blade feel, but great efficacy, is that even possible?

Help me out with your suggestions :)

A slightly different turn for you, but classic Schicks are extremely efficient and, IMO, generally pretty mild. Easy DFS, daily drivers.

I always recommend Karve. Someone with an 89 should chime in, but I'm guessing the A or B SB plate would be the range you might like.

I've been shaving with the Muhle R89 for almost 5 months. It's a great and mild razor... It's great to get into wetshaving, and has a really good margin of tolerance on mistakes, but once we get though that beginner zone, it feels "short". I mean, I need to do 3 passes, and can't get that BBS without getting irritation due to overpass in some areas...

I've the Muhle R41, which I use when I get a 3 or 4 day growth, but for daily or every other day use, it's too harsh for me.

So, what could be a good razor for me? A Slant? An Open Comb? I appreciate less blade feel, but great efficacy, is that even possible?

Hello David, I experienced the very same thing with both my Muhle and EJ 89’s. Both beautiful razors but I know what you mean…..You may want to try the EJ 3ONE6, Muhle Rocca, Rockwell 6S, or The Outlaw mild or regular.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You might want to take a look at a few of the Artist Club Single Edge razors out there. I have the Executive Shaving Co./Alpha Claymore Evolution... but there is the RazoRock Hawk V3 and the two Blackland Vectors, among others.

Short description:

Longer video with a shave included:

Both done by Brian Mulreany, the owner of Executive Shaving Co in Scotland.

I've been shaving with the Muhle R89 for almost 5 months. It's a great and mild razor... It's great to get into wetshaving, and has a really good margin of tolerance on mistakes, but once we get though that beginner zone,....
The R89 is not just for beginners and is used by many seasoned shavers.
As a trial you may want to try a shim or even two to see what the extra ~ 0.2mm (2 shims) blade gap gives you in shave performance before spending on a new razor.
The Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 is worth thinking about but the Fatip open comb is also good for a daily shave.

My first DE was an Edwin Jagger DE89, which is the same head as the R89. After using it for many years, I switched over to a vintage Schick Krona, which I found was even more carefree to use while having the same efficiency.

Fast forward, while I still use both the EJ and Schick, I now primarily use the Karve CB with plates C and D, Gillette Tech (post war) and the Alpha Outlaw regular (not mild). All are similar to the EJ and Schick in aggressiveness, but I feel they provide a closer shave. The new Blackland ERA, SB plate 4, would also be a good choice. Good luck!

If you want more efficiency without the harshness of the Muhle R41, I would go with a Karve G Plate razor. Or maybe one of the Blackland razors. IMO, the reason the R41 feels so harsh is because it does not "clamp" the blade down very well like these other razors I mentioned.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

I hear you on that. My Feather AS-D2 is like that. But as long as it's a new blade, it does ok. But the blade dulls super quickly on course hair like mine. On the 2nd shave, takes more passes. By the 3rd shave, blade is dull, forces me to make many more passes, all I end up doing is knicking myself.

We choose mild razors because we're beginners to DE shaving. But alas I feel, we defeated our own purpose, and cause the very problems we were hoping to avoid, by not using aggressive razors.

I've learned, for my continued use of my Feather AS-D2, I must only use new Feather blades all the time. That, or switch to a different brand of blade all together.

For me the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor, like your 89, plus a sharp blade is optimal. So I suggest you have tried a fair number of blades before you decide to move on.

You also have the R41, which is on the ‘aggressive’ end of the razor scale.

To assure you cover more of the spectrum, you might consider a razor at the ’mild’ end, perhaps an AS/D2 or a Tech. For me, these deliver great shaves if combined with the right blade.

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a29:

For me the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor, like your 89, plus a sharp blade is optimal. So I suggest you have tried a fair number of blades before you decide to move on.

You also have the R41, which is on the ‘aggressive’ end of the razor scale.

To assure you cover more of the spectrum, you might consider a razor at the ’mild’ end, perhaps an AS/D2 or a Tech. For me, these deliver great shaves if combined with the right blade.

The main thing is to enjoy the journey!! :a29:

I've tried:

Feathers, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock pretty much all of them, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Rubie, Personna Platinum, Rapira Platinim, Bolzano Superinox, Astra SP, and a couple more.

All Gillettes are good, Personna and Astras, but still a need 3 passes.

Then I'd suggest a Merkur 37C/39C...

👌🏼

Good luck 🌹

I've tried:

Feathers, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock pretty much all of them, Gillette Nacet, Gillette Rubie, Personna Platinum, Rapira Platinim, Bolzano Superinox, Astra SP, and a couple more.

All Gillettes are good, Personna and Astras, but still a need 3 passes.
That's wonderful 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

I'd say Gillette Nacet/Rapira Platinum Lux + 37C/39C = a perfect daily shave 👍🏼

Of course YMMV... 😊

Is there a significant difference between the 37c/39c and the German 37 from RR or even the Fatip Lo Storto?
37C/39C no issues no flaws it's simply a Dovo/Merkur Razor.
39C is heavier, taller than the shorty 37C

German 37, for so many it's a bit more aggressive, to me it's the same.. I still prefer the Merkur.

Lo Storto, it's still a Fatip, QC as always still same (even it's much improved still that alignment thing).

Hope that helps 🌹

Top Bottom