What's new

I'm done with the Muhle R89, so what's next?

I am not offended but I can't say anything bad about Fatip. My slanted piccolo is great in fit and finish and I have zero issues aligning the blade. It is also very cheap and built to last.

Mine shaves fine but I prefer my Merkur Progress, which is a zamac adjustable. Shaves great for a small price.
Also prefer my Pearl Flexi which is a brass adjustable. It will surely whitstand the test of time but mine does have alignment problems, even though it is the last version. But it shaves very well.

I am also absolutely in love with my Razorock Lupo. 72. Which is stainless steel, so more expensive and a beautiful razor but quite a bit more aggressive than your r89.

I too enjoyed an r89 for a long while, the above razors are the ones I have kept. Tried others but they were all sold (inclusing the r89).

That Said the Outlaw Alpha is on my wanted list as is the goodfella's styletto and the game changer. 84 oc.

For many years I used the Edwin Jagger DE89 (same head as your Muhle R89) as my only razor, but I have gradually moved to using mostly aggressive/efficient razors like the R41, Karve Christopher Bradley with a G safety bar plate and Blackland Dart. Two razors that fall in the middle ground that I have enjoyed are the Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6; either of those might be a good choice for you.

But given that you are relatively new to DE razors, I think that an adjustable or multi-plate razor would be your best choice. Both of the Merkur adjustables, Progress and Futur, could work for you. I can't speak to any of the other adjustables out there as I have not used them. Multi-plate razors would be a great option. Some razors, like the Rockwell 6S or 6C, come with multiple plates; others like the RazoRock Game Changer or the Karve Christopher Bradley come with one plate but others can be purchased separately.

I am not offended but I can't say anything bad about Fatip. My slanted piccolo is great in fit and finish and I have zero issues aligning the blade. It is also very cheap and built to last.

Mine shaves fine but I prefer my Merkur Progress, which is a zamac adjustable. Shaves great for a small price.
Also prefer my Pearl Flexi which is a brass adjustable. It will surely whitstand the test of time but mine does have alignment problems, even though it is the last version. But it shaves very well.

I am also absolutely in love with my Razorock Lupo. 72. Which is stainless steel, so more expensive and a beautiful razor but quite a bit more aggressive than your r89.

I too enjoyed an r89 for a long while, the above razors are the ones I have kept. Tried others but they were all sold (inclusing the r89).

That Said the Outlaw Alpha is on my wanted list as is the goodfella's styletto and the game changer. 84 oc.

I've read that Fatip has improved their QC over the time, so many complaints are stuck in the past.

Which Fatip do you have? Thanks for your input.

Which Fatip do you have? Thanks for your input.
A gold toned picollo slant.
I might just be lucky ofcourse with the Fatip. And unlucky with the Pearl Flexi. Most ppl insist the newest badge of Flexi's have no problems, but mine does. So I guess you can never be sure...

Attachments

• april_2022-03-25-09-34-05-934.jpg
    april_2022-03-25-09-34-05-934.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 20
The Edwin Jagger 3One6 is indeed a fantastic option (and it's a looker). The 6S is also a winner, with the added bonus of 6 different mildness/aggression levels.

Both of these razors are in my top 5.
A bit remiss of me, but I forgot to mention the easiest option: put a Kai blade in the razor. That will instantly dial up the aggression and efficiency without the need to buy a new razor.

I got the standard Piccolo, complete steal at £14. My first OC but it's just a joy to use. No QC issues.

I haven't found it hard to use, it seems very intuitive. Also incredibly efficient. Mind you this is a Mk2, the earlier ones from about 6 years ago seemed to have a reputation of aggression. They are in some demand though from those who like that extra blade exposure. This one has 38% less apparently.

I can't see myself getting a slant. Don't need one.

It's a fantastic intro OC.
IMG_20220205_200833623~2.jpg

Last edited:
I got two Fatip Open Comb Slants recently, one in gold and one in silver. As another B&B member told me, there is a knack to installing the blade (head in the palm of my hand, screw the handle in slowly without holding the head) but the silver one definitely has better alignment than the gold.

Turning the cap around 180 degrees throws the alignment out. Manually aligning the blade makes it shave roughly - it really needs to align itself to work at its best. With the gold one, some blades never seem to align perfectly with even exposure but it doesn't seem to affect the shave.

I also find the FOCS is far more sensitive to blade choice than my other slants.

I do like the FOCS but it would be difficult for me to recommend it. I think the Merkur 37c is made to a higher standard and although I need to align the blade manually (as I do with my German 37), it is much easier and doesn't take multiple attempts.

I would recommend the Merkur 37 - the ones that are made since 2015 are milder than the old ones but no less efficient.

For me its the Karve Overlander Aluminum hands down. It has barely any blade feel, efficient enough to provide BBS in 2 passes and also very forgiving so you can be a careless with it and not worry. It has easily replaced all my other 15 razors in my den.

I would recommend Yaqi The Final Cut. It's an adjustable and I would also recommend the Excalibur shaving razor it takes the ac blades and is a single edge razor. The other place I would recommend is Phoenix Artisan accoutrements (Phoenix Shaving) they have quite a few razors at different price points that are modeled after non Gillette vintage razors. Good luck and have fun with it my friend!

You should purchase all these razors that are being recommended here. Just be ready to spend a tidy bit of money. Also, one thing I have noticed over time about wet shaving products and many other things; You get what you pay for. If you buy a $20 razor, it's probably going to perform like a $20 razor.

Respectfully, I would argue that a Piccolo performs way, way above it's price point. In that it is perhaps unique in these days of often overpriced contemporary razors.

You are getting a handmade Italian razor, of solid brass, from a region famed since the 16th Century for fine metalworked items, from a small artisanal company which has taken the DE world by storm. Claimed QC issues being a valid, but much re-hashed issue based on much earlier examples which now appear to have been resolved. It is also classic and I find, beautiful in it's simplistic but elegant look.

Superbly efficient, yet very forgiving in it's Mk2 version, It is realistically a fantastic OC daily driver, although a one in 48hr shave is more than enough for most beard types. For a 48hr cycle I would recommend a NS, SN, excluding upper lip in the latter pass, and substituting an XTG for that area. It responds well to smooth yet acceptably sharp coated blades, such as the classic IP, or Crystal, or nice, affordable SS blades like the Astra or GWS Indian Saloons. I have had great success with almost all these paired with the Piccolo.

For £14.99 on a site named after a big river, it's a no brainer to be honest.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
When I asked for a mild and effective Stainless Steel razor my dear B&B friends wisely pointed me towards the RazoRock Game Changer 68P. I love it entirely, it has become my new all-time favourite.

Thats a beautiful razor! It shines so wonderfully, and looks amazing. Looks like it might be a 3-piece razor correct? Please if you could, go into more detail about how this razor shaves for you. Also what kind of hair do you have, course or soft, dense or sparse?

What are all the things that you love most about the razor, and what are the things that you wish you could change if you could. Thanks for sharing some beauty with me, I always appreciate it. 😍

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thats a beautiful razor! It shines so wonderfully, and looks amazing. Looks like it might be a 3-piece razor correct? Please if you could, go into more detail about how this razor shaves for you. Also what kind of hair do you have, course or soft, dense or sparse?

What are all the things that you love most about the razor, and what are the things that you wish you could change if you could. Thanks for sharing some beauty with me, I always appreciate it. 😍
Yes Sir, it's a 3-piece razor (base plate, cap plate and handle). It is just the PERFECT razor for me. I have sensitive skin combined with tough beard, so what works best for me is a mild razor, that is gentle on the skin, loaded with a very sharp blade, that takes care of my tough whiskers.

This razor comes standard with a RazoRock HD handle, but I replaced it with a RazoRock Vintage Thick Bar. Why? It's shorter, thicker and simply more beautiful to my eye!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yes Sir, it's a 3-piece razor (base plate, cap plate and handle). It is just the PERFECT razor for me. I have sensitive skin combined with tough beard, so what works best for me is a mild razor, that is gentle on the skin, loaded with a very sharp blade, that takes care of my tough whiskers.

This razor comes standard with a RazoRock HD handle, but I replaced it with a RazoRock Vintage Thick Bar. Why? It's shorter, thicker and simply more beautiful to my eye!

Well, I think you might be right Marco, because that handle looks beautiful to my eye as well. Your story sounds just like mine. I too have sensitive skin, and I too have course whiskers, when they are short stubble, they are like sand paper, they could polish a rock lol.

My choice was the Feather AS-D2 razor, which as it is, also has a thick handle. There is just something about feeling 3.4 ounces of solid steel in your hands! I love it!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom