im bored so here is a question

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You forgot Arko!

I havent tried it.

I know, I know...

images.jpg

As someone who had a soap AD a few years back and tried everything from Williams and Arko at the cheap end, to Castle Forbes and MdC at the high end, the only soaps I now buy are Captain's Choice, Stirling and Harris (Almond or Lavender). All are in the same price range and perform well for me.

SRD soaps would also be in that list had they not been discontinued. My tub of SRD West Indies Bay will probably be finished later today, leaving me with less than half a tub of SRD Opus X. Great soaps and scents. RIP-SRD!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I havent tried it.

I know, I know...

View attachment 1079236
Well, you may be ashamed, but you are one cute beagle puppy!

I've had both beagles and dachshunds, and the dachshunds are cuter by only a fraction, in my non humble opinion! But I don't think there is ANY dog harder headed than a dachshund. Of course, they were bred for digging badgers out of tunnels....

Now for something completely different: after I survive the "Corolla" pandemic I'll make your place my first stop when I get my enhanced driver's license and head to Canadia and bring you Arko! Probably cheaper for me to hand deliver it than mail it, lol!

I am really surprised at the "lower end" soaps that are being listed especially the way the "higher end" soaps are touted on here.

I wonder what @RayClem 's list would look like going from the cheapest up.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well, you may be ashamed, but you are one cute beagle puppy!

I've had both beagles and dachshunds, and the dachshunds are cuter by only a fraction, in my non humble opinion! But I don't think there is ANY dog harder headed than a dachshund. Of course, they were bred for digging badgers out of tunnels....

Now for something completely different: after I survive the "Corolla" pandemic I'll make your place my first stop when I get my enhanced driver's license and head to Canadia and bring you Arko! Probably cheaper for me to hand deliver it than mail it, lol!

The big difference between them is, Dachshunds dont howl lol. They might even hunt rabbits, and even slower than a Beagle lol.

Depending what you're driving, it might be cheaper and would certainly be faster to drive it lol. I drove a friends new Ford Focus to see a friend in Grand Rapids in 2006. There and back was $34CAD. Gas as of yesterday here was $2.44 a gallon, Canadian! Friends and I have been having a chuckle about that, they put the price down just to taunt us because we cant go anywhere anyway lol. I said they should put it up to about $5CAD a gallon just to make us feel better haha.

Alberta Light Crude was $5.04 a barrel this morning. $5 a barrel! My nephew is/was considered 'essential personnel' on the oil sands in a supervisory capacity, and even he got laid off the day before yesterday. 10 days ago they had 3000 people on site. This past weekend they were down to 800. Now, who knows. At $5 a barrel its not worth running the operation.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
1st level

Hard soap, Pre de Provence - may beat Arko for value

Soft soap, 3P. It doesn’t turn like Cella and performs as well. You can get a liter/~900g for $26 delivered in the US from Connaught.

Neither of these are a compromise, they’re just cheaper. They can rival the most expensive soaps out there for straight razor shaving. PdP is super slick though it does not build a heavy dense lather.

2nd level

Soap/croap: Stirling - a great soap at a great price, straight or DE. Scents can be strong or not so strong, samples are generous. Any of the classics, Tabac, MWF, Haslinger.

Any of the 3T creams, scents are fantastic. Trumper, Truefitt and Hill, Taylor of Old Bond Street. Castle Forbes beats them in performance and value, but scents are limited. Castle Forbes is a great value, 200ml tubs and you can shave with 1/2 gram per shave. You do the math.

Top Level:

Soap, ABC hard soap (discontinued), I Coloniali Mango Oil (discontinued and like PdP does not build a heavy dense lather), Martin de Candre, Valobra tallow (AoS Tallow, Czech and Speake, Valobra).

Cream, Oh so many. ABC ($$$), the current yellow tub Acqua di Parma Colonia ($$$), the classic Santa Maria Novella (Hey, if SMN is good enough for Hannibal Lecter, it’s good enough for me), and XPEC (XPEC is a good buy from Connaught, 250ml). AoS creams especially the discontinued Ocean Kelp.

My selected ranking:

Stirling
Murphy and McNeil
(Both of the above give you a lot of great performing soap at a competitive price)
Haslinger (non-tallow)
Wholly Kaw
Zingari Man sego (I tend to overload this soap easily, so it's more 'expensive')
Nuavia
Martin de Candre

Arko: Never had any issues, since I figured out. Solid performance for it's price.

Cella: A little more $ than Arko. But I get great shaves with it.

Haslinger: Another great performer

CBL: Premium line. Great value and performance IMO

Sudsy Soapery: Another great performer for the $$.

Sopanifico Veresino: My most expensive soap. But you got to enjoy a little luxury every now and then.

So what does your list look like?
well I started using proraso green mid budget then went to taylors of bond street upper budget but have now been a avid supporter and user of Palmolive sticks dirt cheep when I bought them and a good performer but as I only have about 20 sticks left might be looking for a replacement in 2030 ish .

Rr puros
Pre de Provence - bergamot thyme
Noble otter - nectar Alyssa
Barrister and Mann - vespers
Declaration grooming/cl - weinstrasse
Australian private reserve - fougere trois
Grooming dept - melody
Saponificio varesino - 70th

Top Bottom