What's new

Newbie Here! 1st questions.

Good day all. I never thought I would be going down a rabbit hole of shaving. But, here I am. The forums and reading peoples thoughts, comments, and reviews I love the conversation, the comrade, and the cleanliness of it.

I am 55 years old. Have grey and black Italian course hair. I usually shave between 3-4 days and with me starting this 6 weeks ago I go two days because I am eager to try a blade. I will write my thoughts later as I am compiling a list of blades and razors.

What started me on this journey is the Henson gateway drug of their advertising showed up. while I was contemplating making a change from my Harry’s Razor due to cost increases.

I will save more to the story for later on. But, for now I have a question. The Henson mild was too mild. I purchased The Henson +++ aggressive, and the Merkur 34c with the octagon handle.

Today, I had a two day stubble. Because the Henson +++ was next to test with the Wilkinson Sword Blade that’s what I chose (yeah yeah rookie mistake???) Well anyway. I used Poraso pre shave and soap. At the end of the three passes, I had a few weepers and a nice bleeder.

My Question for today is this. Did I have a wrong pairing? Did I choose the wrong tool for the job? Should I save this razor for longer hair and a milder blade? What would some of the best pairing be for this razor? I do realize milage will vary.

Thank you all!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B. I have no experience with Henson razors, so I can't help there. As far as the 34c os concerned it is, IMHO, a great all around razor. If you just switched to the Henson +++, I'd give it a few weeks before you move on. Likely you are already using some muscle memory from the mild. Take some time with the new razor, the blades that you mentioned are perfectly fine.

You just have to work on your technique @BabyBudaNedly. We've all been there. Keep the variables to a minimum and take your time learning. It was a year or so before the Henson +++ worked for me. I had to unlock a much lighter touch. Actually it was more like I unlocked a lighter touch. Then a lighter one. Then a lighter one. Then I thought I couldn't go lighter... And I unlocked a bit more. Then the +++ worked very well for me.

It has a significantly positive exposure, so you have to get it right. Stay on the shallow end as well.

Like someone mentioned earlier I too have no experience with a Hanson razor I am sure its great quality. I will echo advice already given. Stick to one razor, one blade, one cream. For at least a month. That way you’ll know if it’s technique or something else. Best of luck to you

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome to B&B! We're glad you're here.

We totally get the excitement! However, we also totally get the idea that changing only one variable at a time and letting it sit for a while to evaluate it is a Good Thing (tm). Maybe it helps if you think of it as not using up all that wonderful excitement right at first?

Everybody's got advice. Here's mine: Take that 34C and put a "decent" blade in it. What's "decent?" Well, that's pretty subjective. To me, "decent" would be something in the recognized middle range. Blades that fit that description (for me) are the Astra SP, Dorco Prime, and Personna Israeli Red (which is neither Israeli nor red, but it is a Personna). I don't recommend really sharp blades, because heck I'm not even ready for them after all this time. :) I also don't recommend low-end blades, because they can help you develop some bad habits like over-shaving and "fast attack" or hitting yourself with the razor because you won't get cut with the blade-like object you have loaded.

And then shave with it. Take the good; take the bad; shave with that bad boy. :) Then after six or so shaves put in another of those blades and "shave it out" again. After a while of doing that, you will have developed your technique and you will have acclimated pretty well to how it all works out. Note here that you will have developed your technique on that razor. Then, if you change razors, you get to develop your technique with that one. And so on. After a while you'll just naturally approach a new setup with some reserve as you dial it in.

And, of course, keep us posted as you walk this path!

Cheers,

O.H.

Great advice above. For what it's worth, my first razor was the 34C. After a month I was not satisfied with the results I was getting; too much stubble left behind after 3 passes. The Henson mild was my second razor, and it was able to deliver the non-stubbly results I was craving. After coming back to the 34C a bit later, a Kai blade (slightly wider width) really woke up the 34C for me.

Every face reacts differently to all combinations of gear. Take your time, keep a light touch, delight in the soaps, and enjoy the journey! :)

Good day all. I never thought I would be going down a rabbit hole of shaving. But, here I am. The forums and reading peoples thoughts, comments, and reviews I love the conversation, the comrade, and the cleanliness of it.

I am 55 years old. Have grey and black Italian course hair. I usually shave between 3-4 days and with me starting this 6 weeks ago I go two days because I am eager to try a blade. I will write my thoughts later as I am compiling a list of blades and razors.

What started me on this journey is the Henson gateway drug of their advertising showed up. while I was contemplating making a change from my Harry’s Razor due to cost increases.

I will save more to the story for later on. But, for now I have a question. The Henson mild was too mild. I purchased The Henson +++ aggressive, and the Merkur 34c with the octagon handle.

Today, I had a two day stubble. Because the Henson +++ was next to test with the Wilkinson Sword Blade that’s what I chose (yeah yeah rookie mistake???) Well anyway. I used Poraso pre shave and soap. At the end of the three passes, I had a few weepers and a nice bleeder.

My Question for today is this. Did I have a wrong pairing? Did I choose the wrong tool for the job? Should I save this razor for longer hair and a milder blade? What would some of the best pairing be for this razor? I do realize milage will vary.

Thank you all!
I came off Harry’s over four years ago. The hardest and most important thing to transitioning to DE razors. SOFT TOUCH, I know you’ve read it and think you have. A soft touch is the most elusive part of DE shaving. Try not to jump around with too many changes. Good technique is hand and hand with muscle memory and consistency. The more changes you make the harder it is to establish a base line for your changes and judgements. That being said the razors and soaps you are using are great. Learn on them. As your shaves become more comfortable is the time to explore new hardware and software. Be patient and most of all try to relax and enjoy the shave. Welcome to B&B enjoy your shaves.

“Pairing” of blade and razor. That word is revealing. DE shaving is nothing like pairing a fine wine with a meal. Shaving is easy and simple; an entire industry and art form has arisen to unnecessarily complicate what is a very basic grooming task.

I’ve been DE shaving for 51 years. I think you’re off to a bad start. I don’t know anything about Henson razors. I am familiar with the 34c. That is a very common razor that millions of shavers started with. I’d go with that one.

There’s nothing wrong with the Wilkinsons. I would have suggested the Personna “Comfort Coated” US made Lab Blues because they seem to work well with most faces. But you bought the Wilkinsons so let’s stay with those.

Coming from carts you likely used canned shaving cream. Stay with that. PRACTICE with the Merkur/Wilkinson combo for a month. For the first 2 weeks shave with the grain only. Get the angle right. Feel and hear the blade cutting.

When you are getting easy, nick free WTG shaves you might try adding a second pass XTG. Try that for two weeks.

At the end of the first month evaluate your shaves. Are they easy, bloodless and close enough? If so, you’re done. Shave on to a lifetime of great results.

Perhaps you want to add brush lathering to your routine. Get a VDH boar brush at your local drug store and a puck of VDH soap probably near by. Work with lathering. It’s easier than people let on and you don’t need expensive equipment. I’ve used a VDH boar brush for 15 years, and I’ve lathered with plain bath soap for more than 50 years. Work with it. You don’t need clouds of whipped cream, just something slick.

If you want BBS (baby butt smooth) a third ATG pass will be necessary. If you’ve mastered the XTG pass this should be easy. Map your beard, figure out the grain pattern. WTG is usually down, ATG is up, but not always. Figure out how your beard grows.

Keep it simple. Don’t change more than one variable at a time. Don’t buy stuff. Learn to use what you have and enjoy the shaves. And don’t let Badger and Blade lure you into unneeded products or esoteric techniques. Do it your way with your stuff. There is no wrong way to shave.

I would suggest focusing on only one change at a time. When trying new razors, I use the same blade, cream/soap, brush combo that works for me. I don't like trying a lot of new things all at once. That's how mistakes happen.

+1! Too many moving parts make it difficult to assess where problems arise.

IMO, the largest variable at present is your evolving technique. I have not tried the Henson so cannot comment on that one. I like the 34C which is a solid ‘middle of the road’ razor, so that’s where I would start.

I concur with the advice to make only one change at a time.
That way you’ll find it easier to determine whether a change works better for you, or not.

Secondly, don’t underestimate the importance of a solid pre-shave routine.
Pre-shave concoctions are optional and many long-time shavers, including me, no longer bother with them.

But what is important is a sound pre-shave where you wet the area you intend to shave, ideally with some soap (glycerine soaps work well for this purpose, but any decent body soap will do as well), and let the skin absorb the moisture for about three minutes, which also erects individual hairs and softens them.
A small wet towel (half the size of a hand towel will suffice) soaked with warm water, but not dripping wet, applied to your face for these three minutes will work great.
Washing one’s face with some soap and a wet sponge or wash towel and letting the skin absorb the moisture for the same three minutes is an alternative.

I am convinced that many people, who tell us about their “copper wire” beard growth and rough shaves, suffer from nothing more than a substandard pre-shave routine.

What people can get away with, at the price of a second-rate shave, with a cartridge razor won’t work with a safety or straight razor.
Conversely, once one has nailed down one’s pre-shave prep and the with, across, and against the growth passes, one can have surprisingly good shaves with cartridge razors.
But of course, where is the fun in that?

B.

Last edited:
I am an engineer, a professional troubleshooter. If I am working on a machine that is not functioning properly and I change out two parts at the same time and then the machine works again, I will never know which of the two parts we changed fixed the problem. As a result I missed the opportunity to learn something for the future.

That is why we only change one variable when making a change to our shaving process. So, we know what caused the resulting change in the outcome. Very, basic yet very easy to pass up.

Welcome to B & B from another newer member.

Top Bottom