What's new

If you could only own one DE safety razor....

Here in Western Europe, DEs are pretty much a niche market and the local shops in the UK don't even stock blades.
In India two DEs are still produced under the Gillette name.
As I said, I like the DE89 but it isn't among the most popular de razors (units sold), by a long shot.
Here in the US even stores like Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. sell low quality DE blades at high prices. Even Target sells cheap Chinese made DE razors and brushes. DE razors are widely used in India, Middle East, and developing countries. Europe has excellent products. It's a shame they're not more widely available.

I'd be curious to find out the numbers on best selling DE razors. I did some googling and didn't find much.

Here in the US even stores like Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. sell low quality DE blades at high prices. Even Target sells cheap Chinese made DE razors and brushes. DE razors are widely used in India, Middle East, and developing countries. Europe has excellent products. It's a shame they're not more widely available.

I'd be curious to find out the numbers on best selling DE razors. I did some googling and didn't find much.
I think American and W.European made DE razors would be too expensive for the Asian market. We can buy an Indian Gillette for less than £3 shipped and look how cheap the Futur clones are. So although Asia is the biggest market not many will be buying razors made in the West.

Vision was the 1st razor I've purchased in 40 years of shaving (at that time around a decade ago)

Up until then I used a SA exclusively.

Now I have razors I enjoy more (SA Cobra for one) but the Vision & Futar are the only ones to have perminent counter space

proxy.php

Every one else is put away

proxy.php

Merkur 38c. There are better looking razors, but this is a work horse and I always get a great shave. I like the size and heft of it too.

I find Merkur's heads to be superior to vintage gilette heads. For example, I love the Gilette Fatboy, I think it might be the nicest looking razor of all time, but I find its head a bit too... well, fat. And this makes shaving in certain spots, like right under the nose, a bit difficult.

Vision was the 1st razor I've purchased in 40 years of shaving (at that time around a decade ago)

Up until then I used a SA exclusively.

Now I have razors I enjoy more (SA Cobra for one) but the Vision & Futar are the only ones to have perminent counter space

proxy.php

Every one else is put away

proxy.php
I used a Futur early on and loved its look and feel. Not as great a shave as the 38c, but I still love it

I have a lot of great razors, Muhle R41, Ranger Tech, Canadian Fat Handle Tech, Red Tip, Gillette New LC, British Fat Handle Tech, Micro Touch One, and maybe a couple more I have forgotten.
If I would have to have only one it would be my '59 Fatboy, the fact that it makes it my birth year razor is only a bonus.
Just a great razor!

+1 absolutely. Got mine this week and has been shaving with it since. Awesome, effective and perfectly mild.
It's my choice too and it's also adjustable, look at the bottom of the spindle and you'll see an arrow on either side, and on the screw in handle there are eight vertical graduations.
There's a lot of blade clatter on anything over four though.

Easy. As I have said elsewhere in the forum my Fatip Piccolo. All brass, open comb, comfortable, Italian made, $20. Gives me the best shave from all twenty of my razors. I have stopped searching for the one.

Barbasol floating head.

I've obsessively tried every Gillette out there (including rarities like toggles, French import RFB's, tech hybrids, and British Aristocrats), as well as a fair few German, English, Swedish, French and Italian razors. But this is hands down the perfect razor for me. It clears the whiskers closer and smoother than any other razor I've tried with absolutely no irritation, and it's just a delight to use every time.

All my other DE's are being sold, apart from a dual comb Emir (just as efficient and smooth as the Barbasol on the closed comb side, slightly more aggressive on the open comb side, but unfortunately made out of pot metal), and a Leresche 77 (which I've only taken for a spin once so far, but promises to be an aggressive but smooth shaver).

Last edited:
My Feather AS-D2 hands down. It's currently my daily driver. I haven't gotten cut or had a bad shave with it once.

Been wet shaving for 55 years+. Have owned and used many razors and still enjoy a change from time to time but I always come back to my Gillette Slim Adjustable.

...which would it be?

....and why?

Don't give a 2nd and 3rd choice. I'm interested in what the more experienced members of the community would choose.

I'm far too early in my wet shaving journey to possibly make any decision.

Gillette NEW SC. Its the right mix of aggressiveness and smoothness IMO.

Top Bottom