What's new

If you absolutely had to pick a cartridge, which one would it be?

I was going to say Sensor or Trac II, then I looked up the price. Now my answer is Dollar Shave Club twin.

The DSC Twin is the same as the Dorco Comfort Thin II (TNA3006). For this model, subscribing to DSC vs. buying in larger quantities directly from Dorco is about the same price... $36/year from DSC and around $37.50 from Dorco.

For the other models (DSC 4X = Dorco Pace 4 FRA1000, DSC Executive = Dorco Pace 6+ SXA5000) you can save substantially buying directly from Dorco. A year's worth of the DSC 4X would cost $72, while the same bought in one order from Dorco would be around $50. For the DSC Executive it comes out to $108 from DSC and around $57 from Dorco. You could even split the Dorco orders up into 6-month orders and still hit the $25 minimum for free shipping, if you don't want to buy a whole year's worth at once.

If someone really wanted to shave daily with cartridges, I'd probably point them towards Dorco's Pace Trial pack which, for $18, includes a Pace 6+ handle along with a four pack of each Pace-series blade (3, 4, 6, and 6+)... seems like a good way to try and see what exactly works for you, at least within the Pace family.

The DSC Twin is the same as the Dorco Comfort Thin II (TNA3006). For this model, subscribing to DSC vs. buying in larger quantities directly from Dorco is about the same price... $36/year from DSC and around $37.50 from Dorco.

For the other models (DSC 4X = Dorco Pace 4 FRA1000, DSC Executive = Dorco Pace 6+ SXA5000) you can save substantially buying directly from Dorco. A year's worth of the DSC 4X would cost $72, while the same bought in one order from Dorco would be around $50. For the DSC Executive it comes out to $108 from DSC and around $57 from Dorco. You could even split the Dorco orders up into 6-month orders and still hit the $25 minimum for free shipping, if you don't want to buy a whole year's worth at once.

If someone really wanted to shave daily with cartridges, I'd probably point them towards Dorco's Pace Trial pack which, for $18, includes a Pace 6+ handle along with a four pack of each Pace-series blade (3, 4, 6, and 6+)... seems like a good way to try and see what exactly works for you, at least within the Pace family.

Very respectable pricing from Dorco. Thanks for the heads up! I may just try the two blade for my head.

I was going to say Sensor or Trac II, then I looked up the price. Now my answer is Dollar Shave Club twin.
Retail pricing on Gillette-brand carts is pretty ridiculous, but they can be had for substantially less if you go through alternate channels. Try eBay or US Razor, among others. Granted, even there the pricing won't come close to rivaling Dollar Shave Club, but I personally haven't found an off-brand cart that shaves as well as Gillette, at least per my own preferences. (I confess I have not tried DSC, but at this point I'm not terribly motivated to.) I've at least managed to find Gillette carts at prices that don't make my colon clench. YMMV, of course.

That is a difficult question to answer, based upon cost, number of times the cartridge can be used etc.
My son has given me every new high end cartridge there is, and I have tried them just to pacify him. They do provide great shaves, but at a high cost. They spend their time in my medicine cabinet for the most part, just sitting there. I do however use my old Trac II and Atra occasionally, as they can shave some areas that I have difficulty with some DE razors. I can get a BBS shave every time with them and cartridges are inexpensive and readily available online.
If I were to factor in all considerations, I would have to say the Atra, or Trac II would be my top picks.

I only used a Atra and then the sensor razors as far as cartridge razors go.
So I really can not say all that much. I liked the sensor better than the Atra.

While not actually a cartridge razor, the Bic Metal disposable gave me great shaves when I used it years ago. The round metal guard bar gave great glide and the shaves were close and without irritation. If I couldn't shave with a DE, that's the razor I would want to use. I can't find it in stores anymore (in my region), but there are a few listings for it on the internet.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've tried Schick and Gillette cartridges over the years and watched the blades get discontinued except for the current Gillettes. I don't use any because of the expense. But I recently bought two Gillette Guards from WCS; one for my son to wean him from the Fusion and the other to try for myself. WCS imports them at a slightly higher price but they're still VERY inexpensive and no waiting for shipping from India. I recommend it to anybody for travel at least; It's very effective and trouble-free to use. Look under "other razors" on WCS.

Last edited:
Gillette Sensor Excel my daily razor of choice. I stockpiled a 12 year supply of blades. This is my dream razor afyer using most de razors (except for slant) this is my grundnörm.

I've still got a stockpile of Mach3 and Sensor cartridges to work through (I slightly prefer the latter) but my favourite disposable is the Bic 1 Sensitive. I like everything about it bar the colour!

I'm quite happy with Harry's for my occasional cart shaves. If someone put a gun to my head and said "Carts only for you," I would stick with Harry's.

Trac II. I still use one sometimes. I can get a fast DFS shave with little thought, and the carts cost 10 cents each via Amazon. I used a Sensor for a long time, but get better results with a fixed head. The Mach 3 is a good cart, but it sometimes gives me bumps and/or irritation. It is also overpriced.

I always had a pretty good shave with a Mach 3 and shaving soap, and a Costco pack of carts would last me around a year and a half. So if I had to go back to carts that would be it.

Top Bottom