What's new

Dark Ages of Shaving

My vote is 90s to 00s when it was all about how more blades in a cart can give you the magical shave.

As eloquently stated previously in the thread, a good soap/cream with a brush, proper pre and post shave and technique will provide a good shave with any razor. And I don't disparage canned shaving cream, as I do use it on occasion.

Just curious but what are the big brands pushing these days? Is it still 5 blade razors? I haven’t paid attention to commercials in years but I do occasionally see one for a Gillette razor with bright green accents. I only remember it because bright green is one of my favorite colors.

My vote for the Dark Age of shaving is going to be quite different. I suggest the Dark Ages of shaving is the present. Yup, not for those of us here a B & B but for the vast majority of those still using cartridge razors and unaware that SE and DE shaving gear and techniques of the past are so much better.

We know better and can be SE and DE shaving evangelists delivering the message to those still in the dark. Come to the light and experience what our grandfathers experienced and even better with the modern blade technology gramps did not have.

The Mach 3 was the last acceptable cart razor for me. I preferred the Sensor, but once the Mach 3 was introduced the blades eventually became harder and harder to find.

4-5 blade carts were no good for me because of the clogging. And as usual once these atrocities became the norm, the Mach 3 blades became harder to find and their price were eventually increased to match the Fusion prices.

My Dark Ages were from when I started shaving, roughly 1988/89, until I joined B&B in 2013.

If you asked my Dad, his Dark Ages were from when he started shaving and all he had access to was a DE razor until cartridge razors and canned goo became available. He hated lathering soap and using DE razors; to him cartridges and goo were the best things since sliced bread.

My vote for the Dark Age of shaving is going to be quite different. I suggest the Dark Ages of shaving is the present. Yup, not for those of us here a B & B but for the vast majority of those still using cartridge razors and unaware that SE and DE shaving gear and techniques of the past are so much better.

We know better and can be SE and DE shaving evangelists delivering the message to those still in the dark. Come to the light and experience what our grandfathers experienced and even better with the modern blade technology gramps did not have.

Not to be a contrarian, but I almost feel like today is the golden age. We can choose from vintage products or new products and there are so many more options than when I started in the mid 2000s. All it takes to discover these things is a simple Google search.

My personal dark days of shaving had to be when I got started, with the white handled single blade BiC disposables. Dealt with those skin scrapers for years until the Mach3 came out and I had my very first comfortable shave. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the Mach3. Never enjoyed shaving until that thing came along.

Top Bottom