What's new

I NEED to get an open comb

Hello gentlemen, for the past few weeks all I can think about is trying an open comb razor, it's all I can think about [emoji37] but I don't have too much to spend, so I ask all of you for advice on which is the cheapest I can purchase to relieve my craving

Be patient in your search. If you look on eBay, you can find a vintage Gillette for $15-$20 shipped. Probably about as good as you can do. Also try antique stores.

Never tried it, but I hear the Cadet is a nice, inexpensive way to try one, although I hear they are on the aggressive side. A great starting point for OC is the Gillette NEW. LC or SC shouldn't differ too much. As mentioned, if you're patient you can find them on the bay for under $30 in decent user condition.

First of all... yes, you do "NEED to get an open comb". Now that is settled, I suggest looking for a vintage Gillette NEW. I found the NEW a little friendlier than the Cadet and the like. Watch the BST for a deal on a good NEW.

That is the only razor i have one of, and i love it, if you find one on the bay for under 30 you will be bidding against me, but no worries I'm more broke than the 10 commandments.

Old Type forever! I have two SC old types, and prefer them to my New LC. Most efficient razor I own. MMOC (Micromat open comb) also a favorite. My first New SC is in the mail to me now. FWIW, none of these cost even $15 on eBay, except the "expensive" New, about $20-22.

My 2 cents based on ownership-

Cadet was pretty mild - good finish
Gillette new long comb-I couldn't figure this one out, beyond my consistant burn and weepers - finish varies obviously
Fatip-very efficient if you pay attention - finish is okay, eye up the blade for evenness during final tightening

Of the three, I still own two - both are Fatips

Hello gentlemen, for the past few weeks all I can think about is ___________
A common problem.
Fill in the blank:
Open Comb Razor
Slant
MdC
A <insert your selected brand> silvertip brush
A <insert your brand> boar brush
etc.etc.

Mine in recent weeks was a shaving.ie custom 25mm Silvertip. Which arrived today.

Be patient in your search. If you look on eBay, you can find a vintage Gillette for $15-$20 shipped. Probably about as good as you can do. Also try antique stores.

+1
Just got a 20s gillette NEW LC today from the bay. Buy it now was 20.
Supposed to be nice. Be even nicer when i send it to get replated.

Thanks guys for all the input, im in australia and most of the bst listings r conus, but still searching

Thanks guys for all the input, im in australia and most of the bst listings r conus, but still searching

You can always send a little PM to the seller. Many times they will be willing to ship to your place at actual shipping costs.

Top Bottom