What's new

Is this Open Comb Tech a good deal?

Hello friends

I found this Gillette Tech Open Comb razor on a Brazilian website that according to the seller was manufactured in England in the early 60s, specifically for the French market. It aroused my curiosity because I didn't know that OC Techs had been manufactured. It seems to me to be in excellent condition. The asking price in local currency is around 55 dollars. Do you think it would be a good deal? I always wanted a Gillette Tech and this would be my first…

Thank you very much!
❤️🪒

IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpeg
IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_2274.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2276.jpeg
IMG_2278.jpeg
IMG_2279.jpeg
IMG_2280.jpeg
IMG_2277.jpeg

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
A bit high for a Zamak Gillette, but not unreasonable.

Depends on where you are I suppose. Around here, vintage razors frequently go for 3X the average prices in the US.

I'd say go for it, if it's even 70% like a Tech, it's a good razor!

Thank you very much, dear @Balin and dear @lasta !
I was very inclined to purchase it. I'm going to reflect a little, as I would have to leave this month's GRUME. The first razor I shaved with was a Tech SB that I borrowed from my father almost 50 years ago and it no longer exists. The possibility of having one in my hands again excites me.

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Doesn't is always say: Gillette in the "real" baseplates. Country of production if written is on the lower side.....not inside....

I don't know......

But living in a world of fakes, it makes me suspicious......

I'm not a collector, but I think the price reflects the rarity rather than some special shaving quality of this razor. It's unusual.

The Gillette New Short Comb shares basically similar geometry to that razor and those are all-brass, so I'd just as soon have the New SC (I already do have one that's been replated in nickel).

BTW, if you are looking for a good Tech, I'd suggest the Canadian pre-war model. There's something special about it.

Evaluations are not allowed as per the forum rules as far as I remember.

Yes these exist. They are only for France. Both made in England and France exist.

I'm not a collector, but I think the price reflects the rarity rather than some special shaving quality of this razor. It's unusual.

The Gillette New Short Comb shares basically similar geometry to that razor and those are all-brass, so I'd just as soon have the New SC (I already do have one that's been replated in nickel).

BTW, if you are looking for a good Tech, I'd suggest the Canadian pre-war model. There's something special about it.
I have both the New Short comb and the above 60s open comb razor branded as a Nacet. They have nothing in common except for the open comb. The New Short comb clamps a big part of the blade. That open comb Tech clamps only a small part at the end of the cap. It is not the 50s Tech plate that clamps the whole blade. So, not a similar geometry and a similar shave.

Doesn't is always say: Gillette in the "real" baseplates. Country of production if written is on the lower side.....not inside....

I don't know......

But living in a world of fakes, it makes me suspicious......
The razor in the original post is original and not assembled parts. The bottom plate is not fake. There are some Gillette Techs that don't have the Gillette logo on the bottom plate, even some TTO razors.

I've seen some of these open comb Techs with either Gillette, Minora or Nacet stamp on their top caps and some consider them to be somewhat rare and collectable, but I've never heard anyone praising them as great shavers.

The other really collectable Techs are the Hybrid Tech, which is considered to be the king of all Techs, then it's the ''Psycho'' Tech, which is basically a 60's or 70's Tech with a hollow handle, that requires a key to be opened.

If you're a collector or a flipper, then go for it, but if you expect it to be an amazing shaver, you're most likely going to be disappointed.

I have both the New Short comb and the above 60s open comb razor branded as a Nacet. They have nothing in common except for the open comb. The New Short comb clamps a big part of the blade. That open comb Tech clamps only a small part at the end of the cap. It is not the 50s Tech plate that clamps the whole blade. So, not a similar geometry and a similar shave.

Fine, how does it shave, then? That might be useful to know.

Evaluations are not allowed as per the forum rules as far as I remember.

Yes these exist. They are only for France. Both made in England and France exist.

The razor in the original post is original and not assembled parts. The bottom plate is not fake. There are some Gillette Techs that don't have the Gillette logo on the bottom plate, even some TTO razors.
Hello my dear @ivan_101

I apologize if I broke the rule about evaluations. I confess I didn't remember this when I posted.
My mistake.
Thank you very much for reminding me and above all for the valuable information.

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Reactions: Kix
I'm not sure the rules are meant to prevent members from getting advice about potential purchases. I think they are meant to keep the forum from being flooded by newbie sellers looking for help pricing their potential wares.

Whats wrong with it Tanuki?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The pricing seems high to me, plus I have PIFed more Techs than I can remember offhand. Some to guys who never even acknowledged receipt!

It is a bottom end zamak cap Tech, made by Gillette, sold on a display card. It does look to be practically NOS. Similar razors are readily available new in many markets for extremely low prices.

In the Pacific NW, USA, top quality brass vintage Techs in varying levels of user grade are readily available for less than $20, often under $10. My most recent 'acquisition' was free, given to me by a friend of my sister. I like a Tech shave, and an OC model is uncommon, and I'm an OC bigot, but once @Beto Salatini escapes GRUME, I think I have his Tech needs covered. :thumbup:

With Tanuki on the rules, plus he's not asking it's value - he's asking if it's a good deal. There is a subtle difference. Or it's possible I'm being too Belgian about this. We are rule breakers after all 😎

Some to guys who never even acknowledged receipt!
That's beyond sad.

Regarding the oc Tech, I think I've seen maybe one for sale in Europe over the past two years. Given the fact that it's pretty hard to get I would feel 55 dollars isn't too bad a price. I dont know how it shaves, ofcourse. If it's shave is similar to a modern Tech design (as suggested by Ivan) then it might not be worth it. But YMMV ofcourse and I do love a good Tech. 🥰

I'm not sure the rules are meant to prevent members from getting advice about potential purchases. I think they are meant to keep the forum from being flooded by newbie sellers looking for help pricing their potential wares.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The pricing seems high to me, plus I have PIFed more Techs than I can remember offhand. Some to guys who never even acknowledged receipt!

It is a bottom end zamak cap Tech, made by Gillette, sold on a display card. It does look to be practically NOS. Similar razors are readily available new in many markets for extremely low prices.

In the Pacific NW, USA, top quality brass vintage Techs in varying levels of user grade are readily available for less than $20, often under $10. My most recent 'acquisition' was free, given to me by a friend of my sister. I like a Tech shave, and an OC model is uncommon, and I'm an OC bigot, but once @Beto Salatini escapes GRUME, I think I have his Tech needs covered. :thumbup:
Similar razors are not readily available as this is the open comb sold only for a few years in France and is very rare. Can you find one in the Pacific NW, USA?

Similar razors are not readily available as this is the open comb sold only for a few years in France and is very rare. Can you find one in the Pacific NW, USA?
Not to argue... :a17:

Almost certainly not found in the Pacific NW. And I would give it a pass if I saw one. I'm not an aluminum handle fan. Maybe it is rare or uncommon, but display card zamak cap Techs don't tend to survive beyond their first owners. How much was 85 new centimes back in the day?

I walked a few blocks and picked up a 'Made in England' FB Tech for $30 a couple years back. In a nice travel kit, with a shave brush and an an unopened Wilkinson Sword stick. Acquisition thread post 24020.

And I found a Single Ring marked with the French symbol required on imported plated goods. Don't know when that one returned to the USA. Less than $20, but it took some clean up.

OK, I thought those were pretty good finds at good prices. For razors that evoked a little pride of ownership in their time. The English FB Tech is the only Tech I shave with, other than the USA one PLANofMAN slanted for me.

I will admit to being a cheapskate. :001_rolle

Nice find (ever more so if it's a legit copy).

I've a Tech which sports one of said unstamped SB baseplates, too. I've no clue if the plateis a fake one (likely) or not. But the shaves with it are just as fine as with any other SB Tech, so there's no need to question the tool...

I'd love to own an OC Tech, but as @Shaun asleep correctly stated, they are indanely rare on the European side of the pond.

Let us know how she shaves (if you decide to pull the trigger) @Beto Salatini ... 😀

Top Bottom