What's new

I Love the GC .68-P. Talk me Out of Buying a GC .84-P.

This is actually quite funny. I think the RAD & SAD gods are mocking me. I checked out Men's Room Barber shop, because they had the best price on my beloved Mogno the last time I ordered. The Men's Room Barber shop is a perfect mirror image of Italian Barber. Everything IB has out-of-stock, MRBS has in-stock, and vice versa.

proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Dare I say it.....?
you-can-do-it-waterboy.gif

I have the GC68-P, GC84-P, Lupo .72 and Lupo .95.

The GC68-P is a wonderful razor - very smooth.

The GC84-P is a time tested winner - smooth, efficient and effective.

Yes, you should buy the GC84-P baseplate. :cool:

Just my opinion. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm sure they're both fine razors, but they're both 133% more expensive, and I doubt that they're 133% "better". I'm trying to decide between a $2.44 pack of Kai blades or a $30 baseplate at this point. Both will get me the same additional .05mm blade exposure.
You could get both items because you can use those DE Kai SS in those other milder razors & the base plate will allow you to use normal blades that you more than likely enjoy.
Try a blade will mail you Kai SS blades to reduce costs for shipping.$4.00 US shipping + $.85 a blade.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How about Lupo .72 and Lupo .95?
Thanks for your opinions.

Full comments on the Lupo .72 and .95 are here:

Hope this helps. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure they're both fine razors, but they're both 133% more expensive, and I doubt that they're 133% "better". I'm trying to decide between a $2.44 pack of Kai blades or a $30 baseplate at this point. Both will get me the same additional .05mm blade exposure.

You could get both items because you can use those DE Kai SS in those other milder razors & the base plate will allow you to use normal blades that you more than likely enjoy.
Try a blade will mail you Kai SS blades to reduce costs for shipping.$4.00 US shipping + $.85 a blade.

+1 to @Ron R 's comments. :)

Before long, you'll be using the Kai blades in the GC84-P baseplate. It's a fine combination. :cool:

No, this is incorrect. Increasing your blade exposure by .05mm is not the same at all as increasing your blade gap by the same amount.

Both GC razors have positive blade exposure. Italian Barber does not give the exact spec on this. Increasing the .68 exposure with a Kai blade will be nothing like going to the .84.

Get the p.84. It is smooth and efficient like everyone says. It is one of the few razors I would encourage almost anyone to buy. It's one of the best shaving razors I have, and I have a lot.

Do it.

Have been using .68 and .84 exclusively for a while to decide which one to keep.

For me both are great performing and easy to use. The .84 is significantly more efficient. A lot more buffing with the .68.

Both GC razors have positive blade exposure. Italian Barber does not give the exact spec on this. Increasing the .68 exposure with a Kai blade will be nothing like going to the .84.

It's true that RazoRock doesn't say what the exposure is for either razor, but they do say that the incremental increase in blade exposure is .0508mm (see image below). A Kai blade is .09mm wider than a standard DE blade so that's .045mm/side like @Ron R mentioned. Pretty close. Moreover, a DE blade is .01mm thick, so adding one as a shim (edges trimmed with scissors) will increase the gap of my .68 to .78. I think combination of a KAI blade and a shim will make me a "Poor Man's GC .84"!

That's damn near science, and the BOSC in me finds that irresistible. I realize now that I have to buy both Kai blades and a GC .84 baseplate so that I can test the hypothesis. 😃

proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

It's true that RazoRock doesn't say what the exposure is for either blade, but they do say that the incremental increase in blade exposure is .0508mm (see image below). A Kai blade is .09mm wider than a standard DE blade so that's .045mm/side like @Ron R mentioned. Pretty close. Moreover, a DE blade is .01mm thick, so adding one as a shim (edges trimmed with scissors) will increase the gap of my .68 to .78. I think combination of a KAI blade and a shim will make me a "poor mans GC .84"!

That's damn near science, and the BOSC in me finds that irresistible. I realize now that I have to buy both Kai blades and a GC .84 baseplate so that I can test the hypothesis. 😃

proxy.php
Hello @Dovo1695, I was reading your post and I mentioned the Kai SS blade being .009 thousands of a inch wider or (.2286mm) or .0045 thousands of a inch per side (.1143mm). I hope this clears that up a little, I tend to use the imperial or American standard systems at times being a retired Machinist.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So many responses had me laughing. Shame on all of you regulars...for leaving me out of coaxing the OP on to yet another purchase.

Now...I have neither GC razor, but have heard nothing but good things about the GC line. So...my advice would be to get it. There...now I'm in on it.

Saw you had a Lupo razor pencilled in. Good thinking!

IMG_20210414_131522.jpg

I call mine Mournblade...I'd be in mourning if I had to go without it.

Hello @Dovo1695, I was reading your post and I mentioned the Kai SS blade being .009 thousands of a inch wider or (.2286mm) or .0045 thousands of a inch per side (.1143mm). I hope this clears that up a little, I tend to use the imperial or American standard systems at times being a retired Machinist.

I just realized that. I was looking up the KAI blades in @ShavingByTheNumbers brilliant DE razor dimensions wiki, and sure enough, that KAI blade is going to give me all sorts of extra blade exposure. I can hardly wait!

proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

I just realized that. I was looking up the KAI blades in @ShavingByTheNumbers brilliant DE razor dimensions wiki, and sure enough, that KAI blade is going to give me all sorts of extra blade exposure. I can hardly wait!

proxy.php

When I first bought Kai SS DE blades I only bought 4 tucks($10.50 Can) and was not sure how they would shave. They are a Sharp & smooth blade with great longevity and makes some of my milder razors I hardly used more enjoyable for myself. I measured some spent blades and confirmed similar results as @ShavingByTheNumbers, he sure had done us all some good research and and charts.
I would suggest most DE shavers have a tuck or two just to boost their mild razors a notch before tossing them in the drawer to be not used for years or selling them.

The only way to know is to try.

I will say that my personal experience differs from that of many others. I started with the 84 and it never really wowed me, so I tried the 68 plate.

My face greatly prefers the 68. Wound up selling the 84.

I may be in the minority in most shaving fora in that I prefer smooth mild shaves (I really enjoy the RR Mamba, too), but I find the 68 more comfortable and plenty efficient.

Fortunately, the plate cost is low if you want to try out the other variant, and it should be easy to sell should you decide you don't like / need it.

Good luck!

I think this experiment is going to work. Here are some close-up shots of the GC .68-P and GC .84-P compliments of @Rosseforp. I think the Shim-Kai GC .78-P is going slightly more efficient than the GC .84! The GC .68 has roughly -.05mm negative exposure, and the GC 84 has neutral exposure. The KAI blade is adding .11mm in width, so adding it to the GC .68 should result in roughly .06mm positive exposure. 😃

GC .68-P: Note the negative blade exposure.

proxy.php

GC .84: Note the neutral blade exposure

proxy.php

Last edited:
Progress report. I finally worked up
I realize now that I have to buy both Kai blades and a GC .84 baseplate so that I can test the hypothesis. 😃

TLDR: After all that, I wound up buying a Lupo .72. 🤣

I've been thinking a lot about blade exposure and blade gap recently. These are the two primary ways of increasing razor efficiency. Of the two, blade exposure is dramatically more important. You barely need blade gap to create a highly efficient razor, but blade exposure is an absolute necessity.

Take for example a Muhle R89 (gap =.45mm) or a Merkur 34C (gap=.50mm); would anyone argue that are nearly twice as efficient as an Muhle R41 which has a gap of .30mm? Probably not.

I've thought a lot about razor design over the years but I barely understand it, and the things that I think I do understand are probably wrong. It just seems to me that increasing razor gap in conjunction with increasing efficiency is clumsy and unnecessary. I think it traces back to the original Gillette adjustable razors. The easiest and cheapest way to make a razor adjustable mechanically is to raise an lower a platform using threaded rod. When Gillette did this, they increases gap by .3mm for each increase of .1mm in blade exposure. There is nothing magical to this ratio. But it did condition people to associate larger blade gaps with higher efficiency. That's not actually true of course. It's entirely possible to build an adjustable that does not vary blade gap at all.

Consider the new Tatara Muramasa which rather than raising the baseplate, it slides them in and out to increase blade exposure. That razor increases gap by 0.088mm for each 1mm in increased exposure! Put more succinctly, it relies more on varying exposure rather than gap. That makes more sense.

proxy.php

If increasing blade gap has almost no bearing on increasing efficiency, and seemingly has no other practical benefit, why would I want to increase my blade gap from .68 on my game changer to .84? I can't think of any reason. The RR Lupo 72 is more efficient, with less blade gap than the GC .84 by RazoRazorocks own reckoning, which means it has more blade exposure than the GC .84.

proxy.php

So I've decided to go with the Lupo .72. I just bought a nice shiny one off the BST. I'm probably completely wrong about my reasons for picking it, but lots of razor savvy people say it's a good razor, so I have that going for me. It's my first new razor purchase since 2018. I hope it's a good one!

I haven't abandoned the idea of the .84 altogether of course. I made a shim and ordered some Kai blades to try and build a "Slim-Kai GC .78" using my GC .68. It's just a matter of time before I break down and buy a GC .84-P to see how it compares, to the Slim-Kai GC .78 and the Lupo .72. I think I'm headed for another bout of RAD... :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom