What's new

How To Spot A 1947 SS

I was cruising the bay earlier today, and came across a listing that showed a picture of a 40's style SS that was ambiguously titled Vintage Gillette TTO Safety Razor. That doesn't sound very interesting, right? However, past experience has taught me to always check these listings out because you just never know what they're selling. Anyway, after a quick look, I see that this razor is a somewhat rare and fairly desirable 1947 no-notch SS -- and here's is how I spotted it.

The only difference between a 1947 SS and the ones that followed it was that the '47 did not have notches on its center bar, and the only way to tell if an SS is a '47 is to get a peek inside, but you don't need much of a peek. The 1947 SS (along with the no-notch Aristocrat) has "wings" (for lack of a better term) on the center bar. Below is a picture of a 1947 SS (left) next to a "notched" 1948-50 SS. Look at the circled areas to see the wings I am talking about.

proxy.php

So, long story shortened a little bit, this was the only interior shot of the razor from the auction. Oh, yeah -- it was a BIN for $11.99. :001_smile

proxy.php

Great picture. Thanks for clearing this up. It is really hard to tell otherwise. This way is full proof :thumbup1:

Two thumbs up on the clarification...I never thought about it, and always figured it was straight or notched, but the wings help a lot!

I like the no notch shave much much better. Its smoother for me. There are other differences aside from the notching if you look closely. The guard bar on the no notch is curved as opposed to flat on the notched. There were other differences that were very minor, but I forget now...
Oh! I remember! The no notch and other early SS's say package on the inside. Later ones say PKG...I'm pretty sure about this

Oh! I remember! The no notch and other early SS's say package on the inside. Later ones say PKG...I'm pretty sure about this

Yup. All the non-dated SS's had the full wording package. The first one I found with the PKG wording was the 1950 V3 prototype.

Len

If it is notched and has no date code it is in the range of 1948 through 1950. Without the original packaging it is impossible to distinguish exact date.

The 1949 models were the first year to come in the red plastic case, and 47 was the no notch. In between, the '48 models came in a little leatherette box a little like some of the earlier NEW razors. I got a '48 from an estate from the original owner that came notched in the little leather box that it came in, so pretty sure it's a 48. Otherwise, the 48 to 50 with no date code are pretty much the same. The actual blade to guard ratio is the same on the no notch and the first notched model, The change was made to make it possible to pull a blade out of the dispenser with the notch without touching the blade, otherwise the manufacture was the same although the shave might feel different to one person or the other on any given day. bc

The 1949 models were the first year to come in the red plastic case, and 47 was the no notch. In between, the '48 models came in a little leatherette box a little like some of the earlier NEW razors. I got a '48 from an estate from the original owner that came notched in the little leather box that it came in, so pretty sure it's a 48. Otherwise, the 48 to 50 with no date code are pretty much the same. The actual blade to guard ratio is the same on the no notch and the first notched model, The change was made to make it possible to pull a blade out of the dispenser with the notch without touching the blade, otherwise the manufacture was the same although the shave might feel different to one person or the other on any given day. bc

The 1948 Super Speed came in a cardboard box with an illustration of the new notched functionality on the inner cover. The 1947 Super Speed came in a similar box and was briefly marketed as an Aristocrat Junior before receiving the Super Speed moniker. The Super Speed you got from the estate would be a mismatch with the case. (Photos courtesy of Achim)

1947 Aristocrat Junior

proxy.php

1947 Super Speed

proxy.php

1948 Super Speed

proxy.php

The 47 is smoother for me and shaves more like my president. It may be my mind tricking me, but it sure seems a little different

The 47 is smoother for me and shaves more like my president. It may be my mind tricking me, but it sure seems a little different

Perhaps so. I'm not a real big user of the Super Speed (too mild for me), but I love the Ranger Tech, which may look similar, but I think is a more aggressive shaver. Admittedly, I have not yet shaved with a 1947 SS, so I think I need to give it a whirl.

Yeah, I do remember seeing those razors in the cardboard boxes, it sure is interesting to see those pictures, very nicely done. In the end, I just know that particular type of shaver seems to give a very nice result, thanks for posting the pics, I think one of the relatives has that razor in the cardboard box, this will give me something to go chase him down over. regards, bc

If it is notched and has no date code it is in the range of 1948 through 1950. Without the original packaging it is impossible to distinguish exact date.

Well I did some checking on my '48 super and come to find out that it is a mis match after all and the original cardboard carton is lost, so the razor was put in a little leatherette case. Can't tell much about that so guess I will have to keep looking, nice razor the one I have though, just can't be sure of the year, bc

One other difference that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that at the top of the handle under the head, the shoulders of the tapered sections are different. The 47 hasa 1/16-1/8 inch flat shoulder before the knurled portion, where the later SS do not. (Knurling starts immediately.)

Just a minor physical change, but not something that would affect use at all.

Top Bottom