What's new

How To Spot A 1947 SS

One other difference that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that at the top of the handle under the head, the shoulders of the tapered sections are different. The 47 hasa 1/16-1/8 inch flat shoulder before the knurled portion, where the later SS do not. (Knurling starts immediately.)

Just a minor physical change, but not something that would affect use at all.

Actually, the '47 was made with both handle styles, and I'm not 100%, but I think the handle with the "flat spot" is made of steel because it's identical to my '52 steel handle Black Tip SS.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Actually, the '47 was made with both handle styles, and I'm not 100%, but I think the handle with the "flat spot" is made of steel because it's identical to my '52 steel handle Black Tip SS.

You can tell real quick by checking it with a magnet. The steel handle black tip passes the magnet test. Grab one off the refrigerator. :biggrin:

You can tell real quick by checking it with a magnet. The steel handle black tip passes the magnet test. Grab one off the refrigerator. :biggrin:

Hey, how did you know I had a magnet on my refrigerator? You been peeking in my windows? :lol:

The magnet should stick to steel, right? So, the '47 with the "flat spot" is not steel.

I checked my '47 No Notch, too. No attraction for the magnet. (It's not steel.) It has the shoulder, too.

Great thread! :biggrin:

A '47 with a shoulder.

A question for you SS experts, on my '53, with the silo tightened down, there's a slight gap between the doors and the center bar. What would that signifiy?

A '47 with a shoulder.

A question for you SS experts, on my '53, with the silo tightened down, there's a slight gap between the doors and the center bar. What would that signifiy?

It could be a bent guard bar which is not allowing the silo door to fully settle. Look closely at every aspect of the mechanism of that side compared to the other working side. You should be able to adjust the offset side to match.

One other difference that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that at the top of the handle under the head, the shoulders of the tapered sections are different. The 47 hasa 1/16-1/8 inch flat shoulder before the knurled portion, where the later SS do not. (Knurling starts immediately.)

Just a minor physical change, but not something that would affect use at all.

Rockrat, that is amazingly perceptive. You should be a scout, a bird watcher, or a surgeon.

It could be a bent guard bar which is not allowing the silo door to fully settle. Look closely at every aspect of the mechanism of that side compared to the other working side. You should be able to adjust the offset side to match.

Actually both sides show a gap, but I'll look closely at the guard bars. Thanks!

I just won a 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat on eBay. The 46-47 & 48 on Aristocrats seem to have much the same differences as the regular SS's. Obviously there is a different handle style in the Aristocrats but the heads look very similar.

I wonder if the Aristocrats shave like the regular SS's or if they have their own idiosyncrasies?

I just won a 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat on eBay. The 46-47 & 48 on Aristocrats seem to have much the same differences as the regular SS's. Obviously there is a different handle style in the Aristocrats but the heads look very similar.

I wonder if the Aristocrats shave like the regular SS's or if they have their own idiosyncrasies?

Aristocrats are more aggressive than the standard Super Speed. They are almost identical in nature to the Red Tip Super Speed. Excellent razors!

Sorry for binging back an old thread, but I'm trying to educate myself on vintage razors.

What is it about the "notched" '48 SS that make them less desirable over the SS "butterfly" center bar on the '47? I understand the difference mechanically, but are they more desirable because there were fewer made or is there a shaving performance difference?

Again, sorry for being such a noob.

Last edited:
Sorry for binging back an old thread, but I'm trying to educate myself on vintage razors.

What is it about the "notched" '48 SS that make them less desirable over the SS "butterfly" center bar on the '47? I understand the difference mechanically, but are they more desirable because there were fewer made or is there a shaving performance difference?

Again, sorry for being such a noob.

Here's a thread about the shave differences. For future reference, it'd probably be best to start a new thread since your question is a tangent of the thread title.

Top Bottom