What's new

How Do You Conceal Carry?

How do you conceal your pistol or revolver?

• Total voters
Today, at a meeting I attended the question came up as to how we conceal carry. The answers ranged from inside waistband, outside waistband, ankle holster, and a backpack. Nobody carried in a shoulder holster or other methods.

So, curious how you guys carry. If you carry more than one way list all of the ways. If you carry in a holster or other device, please state who makes the device.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
When I conceal the method varies based on what I'm wearing but most often just an unbuttoned shirt over OWB or IWB. I don't much worry about concealed or not though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I usually carry IWB as I tuck my shirt over it in the summer, and in the winter I wear waist length jackets and the barrel section would fall below the end of the jacket. IWB is DeSantis or Bianchi, although I do have a Crossbreed IWB for the 1911 but I usually just do that one Mexican carry. Other times is just a snubby stuck in a front jeans pocket.

On the rare times I wear a coat long enough I carry the 1911 in an El Paso Saddlery pancake or the S&W 681 in an original Roy Baker pancake. I need to pick up a good OWB for the snubby. On the even rarer times I carry a Glock it's in a Jim Burke made OWB.

I'll post picks later but I'm not dragging out the box of holsters tonight...I'll have to move stuff to get to other stuff to move it to get to the box of holsters.

Walther P99C in either a Vedder Light Tuck Or Wright Leather Works Cruiser IWB. I try not to stand out as a CC guy, and this includes not wearing clothing that shows I'm a firearms enthusiast.

Don

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
On duty in uniform, it's a Glock 23 in a Blackhawk Serpa level III duty holster with Safariland duty belt and gear.

On duty in plain clothes, it's usually a Glock 19 in a OWB Glock OEM Combat holster.

Off duty, as of late it's been a Sig Sauer P365 in a OWB Mitch Rosen black leather holster with a black leather double mag pouch or an IWB Kydex with single mag carrier from BlackPoint Tactical.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Don't get too smug there, fanboy. It's been 5 years or better since I've carried a Glock and even then it was rare, very rare. If I'd show it daylight now it would probably evaporate like a vampire.

I do like Jim Burke's work...too bad he passed many years ago; he was a good leather worker. I wish he was still around to make one for my snubby. Oh, you like Kydex...never mind. :yawn:

As others have mentioned, there really is no one way to carry. For myself, it depends on what I'm wearing and which handgun.

IWB: White Hat holster (interchangeable kydex forms)
OWB: Blackhawk Serpa
Bag carry: Velcro holster in a Maxpedition knock-off. Or, will put handgun in my OWB rig if it is in a regular backpack.

When I'm bowhunting, I have my 1911 in a built-in holster of my backpack's waistband. Will take care of most things in my area. However, I want to get a .44mag revolver for the big bears and such when I venture further north.

Almost bought a shoulder rig. But, opted against it since most times would never wear it aside from winter with a heavy coat.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As others have mentioned, there really is no one way to carry. For myself, it depends on what I'm wearing and which handgun.

IWB: White Hat holster (interchangeable kydex forms)
OWB: Blackhawk Serpa
Bag carry: Velcro holster in a Maxpedition knock-off. Or, will put handgun in my OWB rig if it is in a regular backpack.

When I'm bowhunting, I have my 1911 in a built-in holster of my backpack's waistband. Will take care of most things in my area. However, I want to get a .44mag revolver for the big bears and such when I venture further north.

Almost bought a shoulder rig. But, opted against it since most times would never wear it aside from winter with a heavy coat.

I've read more often then not, if you see an Outdoorsman in Alaska, they have their pistol in a chest holster/harness/strap? I'm thinking the big, colder weather coats they wear, probably isn't conducive with hip carry and a quicker draw.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I carry two Colt Walkers in saddle holsters under each arm with an Army stuck in my waist band. I chew on beef jerky with a spit on a dog for good measure.

While I'm liable to tote most anything here, a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson or else a Colt Government Model sees the most "serious" use.

Have done a feature on holsters, vintage and new, on a couple of other forums so have some photographs on hand.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel is carried most often and has been for over 40 years now. The revolver is adapted to attire, social occasion, and climate with various holsters. I will not open carry so concealment looms large in my mind. I frequently wear a sport coat when "going to town" so have some latitude in carry method.

Inside-the-Waistband
Bell Charter Oak Mae West, custom made for 4-inch barrel. Lefty lists this model as the Mae West II now and available for 2-inch K-Frame revolvers, but he'll probably still make a 4-inch variant if you ask him.
BELL CHARTER OAK CUSTOM HOLSTERS (607) 783-2483

Outside-the-Waistband
Bucheimer Federal Man
I bought a Bucheimer for the Model 10 back in the late 1970s. Always thought it was a pretty keen piece of kit. It carries the revolver high on the belt so hides well beneath a jacket. Bucheimer is long defunct now.

The stitching finally let go on this one since the photo was taken. Intend to sew it back. Meanwhile, I found another just like it on Ebay, still new in the package so snagged it for use.

Of course if I hadn't bashed it on rocks the stitching might have held up longer. The Federal Man pressed into service as replacement field holster when my old original gave up the ghost.

Too soggy to bother with the umbrella in the high wind. The replacement Bucheimer Federal Man holster along on a trip to Maine last year.

Shoulder Holster
Bianchi X-15
This model X-15 showed on the chart to be correct for both 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver and 5-inch Colt Government Model when I got the holster in about 1980, so used it with both revolver and automatic. Wore this holster daily for some years beneath a suit coat. Elastic's still good all these years later, but I don't much use the holster. It's less comfortable than other methods. Or, perhaps I'm older and more tender.

Field Holster
Of course OWB and carried on the belt, this Smith & Wesson brand holster was purchased in Larson's Sporting Goods in Cleburne, Texas in 1975 when I first got the revolver. Seems like the holster brand new was $7 and some change. Wore it for hunting, fishing, and hiking for the next 30 years when the retention strap failed. Wore the Bucheimer above for a few years until my brother-in-law gave me a replacement vintage Smith & Wesson Holster for Christmas that he'd scared up. Said it was just too weird seeing me afield with the Model 10 not "properly" holstered.

This model positions the gun low so isn't as suitable for concealed carry. For open carry on one's own place it's fine. Photograph below was taken some years ago on a duck hunt, before the retention strap failed.
We'll do the Colt Government Model holsters and others another time.

Last edited:
Most of the time, I carry IWB (Milt Sparks Criterion). When the weather is colder where I where a heavier cover garment, I will occasionally carry OWB (which is more comfortable).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I carry two Colt Walkers in saddle holsters under each arm with an Army stuck in my waist band. I chew on beef jerky with a spit on a dog for good measure.

Are you sure that's not plug 'baccy you are chewing on instead of jerky when you spit on the dog, and don't you also carry a knife in your boot?

Pics. or it didn't happen. Talk about a New York reload. That ain't nothing new.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
While I'm liable to tote most anything here, a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson or else a Colt Government Model sees the most "serious" use.

Have done a feature on holsters, vintage and new, on a couple of other forums so have some photographs on hand.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel is carried most often and has been for over 40 years now. The revolver is adapted to attire, social occasion, and climate with various holsters. I will not open carry so concealment looms large in my mind. I frequently wear a sport coat when "going to town" so have some latitude in carry method.

Inside-the-Waistband
Bell Charter Oak Mae West, custom made for 4-inch barrel. Lefty lists this model as the Mae West II now and available for 2-inch K-Frame revolvers, but he'll probably still make a 4-inch variant if you ask him.
BELL CHARTER OAK CUSTOM HOLSTERS (607) 783-2483

Outside-the-Waistband
Bucheimer Federal Man
I bought a Bucheimer for the Model 10 back in the late 1970s. Always thought it was a pretty keen piece of kit. It carries the revolver high on the belt so hides well beneath a jacket. Bucheimer is long defunct now.

The stitching finally let go on this one since the photo was taken. Intend to sew it back. Meanwhile, I found another just like it on Ebay, still new in the package so snagged it for use.

Of course if I hadn't bashed it on rocks the stitching might have held up longer. The Federal Man pressed into service as replacement field holster when my old original gave up the ghost.

Too soggy to bother with the umbrella in the high wind. The replacement Bucheimer Federal Man holster along on a trip to Maine last year.

Shoulder Holster
Bianchi X-15
This model X-15 showed on the chart to be correct for both 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver and 5-inch Colt Government Model when I got the holster in about 1980, so used it with both revolver and automatic. Wore this holster daily for some years beneath a suit coat. Elastic's still good all these years later, but I don't much use the holster. It's less comfortable than other methods. Or, perhaps I'm older and more tender.

Field Holster
Of course OWB and carried on the belt, this Smith & Wesson brand holster was purchased in Larson's Sporting Goods in Cleburne, Texas in 1975 when I first got the revolver. Seems like the holster brand new was $7 and some change. Wore it for hunting, fishing, and hiking for the next 30 years when the retention strap failed. Wore the Bucheimer above for a few years until my brother-in-law gave me a replacement vintage Smith & Wesson Holster for Christmas that he'd scared up. Said it was just too weird seeing me afield with the Model 10 not "properly" holstered.

This model positions the gun low so isn't as suitable for concealed carry. For open carry on one's own place it's fine. Photograph below was taken some years ago on a duck hunt, before the retention strap failed.
We'll do the Colt Government Model holsters and others another time.

Oh nice leather. I have a couple of nylon shoulder holsters that I never wear. If I ever did get another shoulder holster it would be a Berns Martin one for the snubby. But then the holster would be bigger than the gun.

proxy.php

The majority of the time I carry IWB using a hybrid style holster that is tuckable but I rarely tuck in my shirt.
proxy.php

If I know I will be going somewhere that I'm not able to carry such as the post office or courthouse, I use a Kydex IWB holster because the single clip makes it easier to take off and replace the holster as needed.

Glock 19, Gen 5 carried Appendix IWB. Holster is a Vedder light tuck. Prior to last year I always carried either a Springfield XDM .45 or a 1911 full frame in a Crossbreed IWB at the 5 o’clock position.

After switching to appendix, I find it much more comfortable as well as much easier access to the firearm (especially in the winter months when I’m wearing wool coats).

Top Bottom