What's new

Concealed Carry in Cold Weather?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just stick it in there. My Lee jeans have front pockets that are deep enough for a 3 inch barrel, but my Wranglers have to have a 2 inch snub.

I really like that .44 CA Bulldog you have. I want one. It’s got that, old skool, ACME Detective Agency, look… Thing going for it that Mickey Spillane describes in his novels.

:)

🤔 Safariland had a neat rig, a shoulder holster that hung the gun upside down... Had elastic to keep it shut. User could draw the gun from under a zipped jacket with practice - down and out. Even a 4" bbl.

AA

That is a very old style. More "modern" style from the 80's is horizontal under the arm, Miami Classic. Problem with the former is any AD will take out the artery in a place that cannot be treated easily in the field. Death is a foregone conclusion.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
🤔 Safariland had a neat rig, a shoulder holster that hung the gun upside down... Had elastic to keep it shut. User could draw the gun from under a zipped jacket with practice - down and out. Even a 4" bbl.

AA

Berns-Martin made one years ago.

1668890815015.png

Steve McQueen special.

1668890966671.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is a very old style. More "modern" style from the 80's is horizontal under the arm, Miami Classic. Problem with the former is any AD will take out the artery in a place that cannot be treated easily in the field. Death is a foregone conclusion.
Probably why they stopped making them... I don't draw any revolver with a finger in the trigger guard, though.

AA

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It doesn’t get very cold at home. 40’s usually is the lowest.
It’s in the 30’s here in San Antonio today. I am wearing jeans and zip up jacket with a hoodie. I just throw my LCP in the left jacket pocket.

A friend used to wear a long sheepskin coat with a brass coat hook sewn inside, below the left armpit. He used this to hang a sawn-off double-barrelled 12-bore by the trigger guard.

OkieStubble

AA

I need a video with this!

OkieStubble

A friend used to wear a long sheepskin coat with a brass coat hook sewn inside, below the left armpit. He used this to hang a sawn-off double-barrelled 12-bore by the trigger guard.

I’ve pulled SOS’s off of GB’rs who carried them like that, but they used wire clothes hanger’s over the shoulder.

Reactions: ctr

OkieStubble

It doesn’t get very cold at home. 40’s usually is the lowest.
It’s in the 30’s here in San Antonio today. I am wearing jeans and zip up jacket with a hoodie. I just throw my LCP in the left jacket pocket.

Well, you’re as big as a grizzly and grizzlies don’t mind cold weather. 40 sounds pretty cold to me.

I’m old and I’m cold…. :)

An outfit in Texas (Kirkpatrick in Laredo) makes a similar rig. Not as elegant as a Sam Andrews Monarch or Solo rig, but a legit option. Priced right and you will have it before the 2nd coming of the Messiah. I have one for my Ruger SP101 and it fits my 2017
Colt Cobra as well.
Below:
Top-Andrews Solo
Bottom-Kirkpatrick K400 Detective Carry

B8BE8D12-6279-4C9E-894A-9AFBEB8BB168.jpeg
8102BCD4-ACDC-403B-A110-7728A543543A.jpeg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

An outfit in Texas (Kirkpatrick in Laredo) makes a similar rig. Not as elegant as a Sam Andrews Monarch or Solo rig, but a legit option. Priced right and you will have it before the 2nd coming of the Messiah. I have one for my Ruger SP101 and it fits my 2017
Colt Cobra as well.
Below:
Top-Andrews Solo
Bottom-Kirkpatrick K400 Detective Carry

View attachment 1559691View attachment 1559690

Looks like a suede shoulder strap in the top pic. I like that.

Wonder if they can make a holster for a 3 inch SP101? It’s hard to find a holster manufacturer who makes a holster for a 3” barrel.

Reactions: ctr
I tend to dress around what I almost always carry- a G19 or bigger Glock AIWB.

With a button trench or wool coat- I leave enough at the bottom unbuttoned to be able to get to it if it is really cold, otherwise the coat is open and I have a jacket/sports coat, sweater or vest acting as the primary cover garment.

Most of my activewear coats(OR, Arcteryx, Beyond, etc) that I have bought or kept have a 2 way zipper so access from the bottom is fairly easy.

If it was so cold that I really had to stay all the way buttoned/zipped up- J frame in the strong side pocket of the coat + standard carry.

It's close. The Safariland had the elastic on the topstrap. Cool factor is up there!

AA
There are several varieties of older upside-down holsters. Some is an elastic band to hold the sides together, some, like Bianchi, just have the sides held together. I have send several J-frame and Colt revolvers in these type of holsters and still to this day. They are very concealable and easy to use. Bought my first in the early-70s when I started with LAPD. To many, a small wheel gun is a no-go, but after 50 years plus, and several shootings, I still trust them. To each his own…

Top Bottom