What's new

How Do You Conceal Carry?

How do you conceal your pistol or revolver?

• Total voters
For me, glove compartment in my car is a necessity, since I work at a private university that cringes when the idea of anything that goes boom comes up. Fortunately, state law mandates that they can't prohibit concealed carry in parking lots (even though on private property) or outside.

When carrying and not at work, it's usually in my messenger bag or an OWB Kydex holster. Mostly I carry a Sig P239 (.40 S&W), but I have been known to carry my Les Baer .45 when I'm in the right mood. I've been considering getting one of the new Sig P365 pistols in 9mm...the older I get, the less interested I am in carrying a brick on my hip.

Greg

Wow! I am scared of you. :)

Oh, don't be. You might well out shoot me, especially with a handgun. One has to be in a "shooting humor" for the best shooting feats. Heart surgery (just passed one year anniversary - yea!) and neglect in regular practice robs one of his edge with a shooting humor.

Then too, I've been shooting at at that same hillside since I was a kid in the 1960s. 100 yards to 200 yards there isn't like me trying to hit random target at distance elsewhere.

IWB home made toaster oven Kydex holster. If I have pants on this is clipped at 8 o'clock.
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG

Nice work! Those grips are sweet as well!
Thanks! The guy who made the grips is a fine craftsman. He makes grips out of many skins, colors, and fiber materials. DesignerGrips.com

If I had a 1911 I would get the alligator hide grips. Or maybe stingray.
img-4424_orig.jpg

ps. I thought he only did fiber since the website lists only fiber under materials. The pics tell the tale about what he can provide.

Last edited:
I typically carry my Ruger SR1911CMD IWB in a hybrid MTAC Minotaur from Comp-Tac Holsters out of Houston. Very comfortable, stays put, and is fully adjustable for ride height and cant. I will sometimes go OWB with a leather speed scabbard from The Masters Holsters. My J Frame 642 is always an option in a Desantis Nemesis or Mika pocket holster.

My normal day carry with the 1911:

EDC.jpg

Installed...
EDC2.jpg

I'm older and set in my ways. I like 1911's and wheel guns. I'm not a big fan of polymer combat pistols (just not my thing) or appendix carry. I prefer to not have the muzzle pointing at my femoral artery and other "bits" that I use...

Cheers everyone!

80% of the time, IWB a 1911, 45 in a Milt Sparks Criterion
10% of the time, OWB a 1911, 45 in a Tucker Gunleather HF1
5% of the time, OWB a Ruger SP-101 327 Federal In a Tucker Gunleather HF3
5% of the time, M&P Shield 40 in a Milt Sparks VMII

I typically carry my Ruger SR1911CMD IWB in a hybrid MTAC Minotaur from Comp-Tac Holsters out of Houston. Very comfortable, stays put, and is fully adjustable for ride height and cant. I will sometimes go OWB with a leather speed scabbard from The Masters Holsters. My J Frame 642 is always an option in a Desantis Nemesis or Mika pocket holster.

My normal day carry with the 1911:

View attachment 956110

Installed...
View attachment 956108

I'm older and set in my ways. I like 1911's and wheel guns. I'm not a big fan of polymer combat pistols (just not my thing) or appendix carry. I prefer to not have the muzzle pointing at my femoral artery and other "bits" that I use...

Cheers everyone!

Looks like you are well prepared. Personally I have never gotten comfortable with carrying anything with the hammer back and racking the slide takes precious time. My comfort level is low since I have witnessed several cocked/locked 1911 unintentional discharges.

Opinions vary though and most 1911 owners have carried safely for decades.

For me it really depends on the setting. In church I like a shoulder rig. Easy access and im not gonna need to get it lightning quick.

Looks like you are well prepared. Personally I have never gotten comfortable with carrying anything with the hammer back and racking the slide takes precious time. My comfort level is low since I have witnessed several cocked/locked 1911 unintentional discharges.

Opinions vary though and most 1911 owners have carried safely for decades.

I'm entirely comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I'm a lifelong shooter and have carried for many, many years. I've never seen a 1911 go bang unless intended or due to the shooter's negligence. I've seen many more negligent discharges with Glocks than with any other platform. Again, that's purely shooter's negligence.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So.... which is simpler for a newbie to auto pistols?

A. Learning to flip off the manual slide safety latch with their thumb AND... Learning to keep their booger picker off the bang switch?

Or...

B. Just learning to simply keep their booger picker off the bang switch?

Let's tally the votes, shall we? :)

Never have seen a pistol discharge when only the safety has been disengaged. Plenty of incidents when the trigger was unintentionally pulled. Hence..I suggest learning to keep the proverbial finger off the trigger is the best course of action.
Plus...what about those who practice digital-nasal exploration with the pinky finger? Does that complicate issues?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I'm entirely comfortable carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I'm a lifelong shooter and have carried for many, many years. I've never seen a 1911 go bang unless intended or due to the shooter's negligence. I've seen many more negligent discharges with Glocks than with any other platform. Again, that's purely shooter's negligence.

So have I, but not because the 1911 or any "other platform" is inherently more secure with a thumb safety. If this were factual, then a double action trigger pull with a thumb safety, would be safer and more secure then a 1911.

I have seen more Glocks AD/ND for these reasons.

1. There are more people with no knowledge of firearms using Glocks then there are 1911's.

2. Glock is 100 times more popular to own now then a 1911. So just by sheer numbers itself, Glock would have the edge.

3. I have met literally, hundreds of people, carrying 1911's on their hip over the years. Guess what they all had in common? They were all, experienced gun handlers. Not one 1911 carrying newbie in the bunch.

4. So what does this mean? It means, If I took, one hundred, brand new "pistol newbie's" and put a Glock in the hands of 50 of them, and a Cocked & Locked 1911 in the hands of the other 50, sent them all home without any instruction of any kind and told them all to do the best they could for a month, too shoot, load & unload their pistols, by themselves without any instruction?

Can you guess the percentages of AD/ND's after that month with both the Glock and 1911? The percentages, most likely will be split right down the middle. A 1911 has a lighter trigger pull then the 5.5 pound trigger of a Glock once that safety is flipped off. And that newbie, who is flipping that safety off, STILL doesn't have anymore trigger finger discipline then the newbie with the Glock.

That 1911 doesn't have a falling block safety keeping it from firing until the trigger is pulled once that thumb safety is flipped off. The Glock does. The 1911 doesn't have a firing pin safety once that thumb safety is flipped. The Glock does.

And even though, the 1911's thumb safety is flipped? Nothing happens until the trigger is pulled to the rear. Just like the Glock.

Nothing to do with the type of pistol.

You see more people with Glock discharges, because even brand new newbies, with no experience whatsoever, knows better then to try and carry a cocked & locked 1911. I'm scared of a cocked & locked 1911 and I ain't no newbie. Glock's popularity and sheer numbers in new pistol ownership, absolutely dwarf's any kind of numbers for inexperienced 1911 ownership.

In fact, most brand new 1911 owner's ARE NOT brand new to pistols and have boo coo's of experience with handling guns and gun safety, including trigger finger discipline.

Of which, I am one.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Never have seen a pistol discharge when only the safety has been disengaged. Plenty of incidents when the trigger was unintentionally pulled. Hence..I suggest learning to keep the proverbial finger off the trigger is the best course of action.
Plus...what about those who practice digital-nasal exploration with the pinky finger? Does that complicate issues?

I've tried that! :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So.... which is simpler for a newbie to auto pistols?

A. Learning to flip off the manual slide safety latch with their thumb AND... Learning to keep their booger picker off the bang switch?

Or...

B. Just learning to simply keep their booger picker off the bang switch?

Let's tally the votes, shall we? :)

I vote that it's much simpler to grab a Glock and just pull the trigger until the magazine is empty.

OkieStubble

Yup, but with a semi-auto, any semi-auto, you need to learn malfunction drills.

Do you mean you don't teach the newbies how to clear a stove pipe or the tap, rack, bang drill? :biggrin1:

Are you suggesting a tap, rack & bang is more difficult to learn then a revolver speed reload? :001_smile

Top Bottom