What's new

How Do You Conceal Carry?

How do you conceal your pistol or revolver?

• Total voters

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For CCW, exclusively IWB. I carry my Kahrs and Glocks in Comp-Tac tuckable holsters, my S&W Airweight Bodyguard J frame sans holster with Barammi Hip Grips IWB. Ate Thanksgiving dinner with my PM9 tucked and no one was the wiser.
I have IWB and OWB Milt Sparks leather holsters for my 1911 and SIG 229, but rarely carry them any more, except to the range. (And way past due at that!)

E3BBA8EB-8E8F-4FB1-9C24-97429C0732B3.jpeg
829A7886-93F1-4054-90DD-2D74A7F9A4B2.jpeg
32E97C37-7682-4E01-BC89-D982D331830C.jpeg
1F1F0DE4-C807-4BE3-963B-7181C7859825.jpeg
7B5341C9-F15D-4FB1-8BB7-2784486791AD.jpeg
281E55FA-A1AF-45F0-856A-D3710AE3191D.jpeg
39F5EC9E-1DED-42B1-BD05-500F9FDC49C4.jpeg
E9D23C4F-CF20-4DB4-966E-99DC1C5E9021.jpeg

Much depends on the weather, but 90%-95% of the time it’s an OWB. Shoulder rigs see a lot of use during the colder months

Dan Wesson 1911 CCO .45ACP in either a Milt Sparks Axiom OWB or a Sparks Nexus IWB on either a Sparks belt or Wilderness Tactical belt.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While I'm liable to tote most anything here, a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson or else a Colt Government Model sees the most "serious" use.

Have done a feature on holsters, vintage and new, on a couple of other forums so have some photographs on hand.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel is carried most often and has been for over 40 years now. The revolver is adapted to attire, social occasion, and climate with various holsters. I will not open carry so concealment looms large in my mind. I frequently wear a sport coat when "going to town" so have some latitude in carry method.

Inside-the-Waistband
Bell Charter Oak Mae West, custom made for 4-inch barrel. Lefty lists this model as the Mae West II now and available for 2-inch K-Frame revolvers, but he'll probably still make a 4-inch variant if you ask him.
BELL CHARTER OAK CUSTOM HOLSTERS (607) 783-2483

Outside-the-Waistband
Bucheimer Federal Man
I bought a Bucheimer for the Model 10 back in the late 1970s. Always thought it was a pretty keen piece of kit. It carries the revolver high on the belt so hides well beneath a jacket. Bucheimer is long defunct now.

The stitching finally let go on this one since the photo was taken. Intend to sew it back. Meanwhile, I found another just like it on Ebay, still new in the package so snagged it for use.

Of course if I hadn't bashed it on rocks the stitching might have held up longer. The Federal Man pressed into service as replacement field holster when my old original gave up the ghost.

Too soggy to bother with the umbrella in the high wind. The replacement Bucheimer Federal Man holster along on a trip to Maine last year.

Shoulder Holster
Bianchi X-15
This model X-15 showed on the chart to be correct for both 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver and 5-inch Colt Government Model when I got the holster in about 1980, so used it with both revolver and automatic. Wore this holster daily for some years beneath a suit coat. Elastic's still good all these years later, but I don't much use the holster. It's less comfortable than other methods. Or, perhaps I'm older and more tender.

Field Holster
Of course OWB and carried on the belt, this Smith & Wesson brand holster was purchased in Larson's Sporting Goods in Cleburne, Texas in 1975 when I first got the revolver. Seems like the holster brand new was $7 and some change. Wore it for hunting, fishing, and hiking for the next 30 years when the retention strap failed. Wore the Bucheimer above for a few years until my brother-in-law gave me a replacement vintage Smith & Wesson Holster for Christmas that he'd scared up. Said it was just too weird seeing me afield with the Model 10 not "properly" holstered.

This model positions the gun low so isn't as suitable for concealed carry. For open carry on one's own place it's fine. Photograph below was taken some years ago on a duck hunt, before the retention strap failed.
We'll do the Colt Government Model holsters and others another time.

Well dressed and armed! :)

OkieStubble

View attachment 930298 View attachment 930299 View attachment 930300 View attachment 930302 View attachment 930303 View attachment 930304 View attachment 930307 View attachment 930308
Much depends on the weather, but 90%-95% of the time it’s an OWB. Shoulder rigs see a lot of use during the colder months

When you shoulder carry, do you just keep the top buttons open for the draw? And do you also wear a neck scarf to keep the cold out from the unbuttoned top? I've always wondered about this with shoulder rigs in the cold?

When you shoulder carry, do you just keep the top buttons open for the draw? And do you also wear a neck scarf to keep the cold out from the unbuttoned top? I've always wondered about this with shoulder rigs in the cold?
Usually (if not always) a zip front garment that is at least 3/4 open. Unless it’s really cold, then zipped all the way. Seldom if ever wear a scarf.

I've read more often then not, if you see an Outdoorsman in Alaska, they have their pistol in a chest holster/harness/strap? I'm thinking the big, colder weather coats they wear, probably isn't conducive with hip carry and a quicker draw.

Cold weather gear definitely makes for some interesting carry/draw. At this time, it's just research. But, thinking next year I'll pick up the .44.

F75CF107-D552-4268-A03F-402E222B2A8C.jpeg
ACE14931-2FDE-4872-AE24-B0E94A5484F9.jpeg
Sam Andrews Monarch Rig. Knife sheath is an option when you order the rig. Mine fits a USAF Aircrew Rescue knife or Randall Model 1

The Colt Government Model

I purchased my first 1911-gun in 1978 as a 21st birthday present to me, a World War I Colt Model 1911 that was tired back then and is even more tired now. I had visions of marching about our old family place with the pistol so immediately secured a proper military holster to go with it. For some time afterward when the .45 automatic was called for, I'd tote it afield in this World War I contract 1918-dated Warren Leather Goods Model 1916 holster picked up for a few dollars at an old Fort Worth Round Up Inn gun show.

First Holster

Field Holster

Soon "graduated" to this holster, a "no-name special" that resembles a Safariland model. Good heavy leather construction. Still use it for the field holster.
proxy.php

Outside-the-Waistband

Love using the Bucheimer Federal Man holster so well with 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers that I later picked up a Federal Man for the Government Model. It hides well beneath covering garments. I do weekend, all-night gun show security duty occasionally for some promoter friends of mine and this holster is used when a Government Model is carried.

Inside-the-Waistband

The full-sized Government Model is great for IWB carry. All it takes is a good gun belt and trousers bought with IWB carry in mind. This is true of revolvers as well. I am 6'3" and normally select pants with 36-inch waist. 38s are perfect when IWB carry is contemplated. They're also perfect when one overindulges during the holiday season.

This is a nice well-crafted no-name holster with a "Mexico" marking. It's very comfy for all-day wear and hides the big Colt gun with ease.

This is a custom holster that was sent my way by a kind friend and represents the late Della Schafer's handiwork. Della was a part of Rafter-S. Some in North Texas may recall Rafter-S. It gives all-day comfort and perfect concealment, even under light shirts left untucked. Looks sharp too with it's contrasting colors and rough-side-out leather surfaces. A 1944 vintage Remington Rand is modeling this holster but isn't normally chosen as a concealed carry gun.

Don't prefer to go about untucked, but sometimes do in summertime here in retirement. Here I'm wearing the Mexican IWB holster.

Shoulder Holster

The self-same Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster mentioned in my previous post has been used with the Colt Government Model. In fact,. I used this shoulder holster mostly with the Government Model.
proxy.php

The Bianchi site: Bianchi Leather Holsters, Concealment Holsters, Duty Holsters and Duty Gear - Vertical Shoulder Holster

Don't know why the full-sized Colt isn't currently among the extensive list of models for which the X-15 can be obtained. No. 12361 is the one that fits properly.

Fantasy Holster

Vintage leather holsters represents a collecting tangent here. A lot of bovine gave their all for the holsters that accumulated over the years, from purchases, from gifts, from gun trades. Several years ago I thought to go through them and send a bunch of them on down the trail. Had so much fun rooting around in them that I kept most of them and ended up adding a few more along the way.

The most finely crafted and usable OWB holsters I've ever encountered, either new or vintage are the holsters turned out in the early to mid-20th century by A. W. Brill of Austin, Texas. Texas Rangers and other lawmen loved 'em and I can see why. They are so finely fitted that they just naturally suck a pistol in and hold it, all while slickly presenting it when needed. The cant is designed to put the gun within easy grasp. Nothing like 'em!

Though I shouldn't, I have toted both a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson or the Colt Government Model in Brill holsters. To Sunday-go-to-meeting a few times or to the local grocery store on an occasion. They're now considered too collectible to use though so are better off retired. This is a shame as their leather is still supple and sturdy.

I'd love to have a modern holster crafted exactly like the Brill for use with the Government Model (K-Frame Smith & Wesson too for that matter).

I'll stick up some holsters for the "also-rans" later.

Last edited:
Well, here in Maine we have nine seasons, so . . . not just one way will do!

I carry an M&P Shield 9mm, always with an 8-round magazine, and I always prefer OWB. Behind the hip it's concealable under an untucked shirt, spring jacket, suit or sport coat, or winter coat. Might want to zip up if it's windy. :001_smile

My preference is for the DeSantis Mini-Scabbard:

DeSantis Mini Scabbard S&W_SHIELD_large_3872.jpg

Good retention, holds it high and tight to the body.

Under the same conditions I might use a Spider Concealment The Wolf kydex holster. This has the most excellent BladeTech Tek-Lok belt clip. This sticks out a bit more than the DeSantis, so a bit less concealable.

Spider Concealment The Wolf - 1 - reduced.jpg
Spider Concealment The Wolf - 2 - reduced.jpg

Excellent retention, easy to re-holster (and a nice "snick" when you do), so I like to use this at the range.

I work in an extremely non-permissive environment, so for that (and other occasions) I use IWB behind the hip. The holster must be tuckable, which reduces the selection somewhat.

I like the Theis Single-Clip holster for all-day comfort:

Theis IWB_Cow_SingleClip jpg reduced.jpg

With several years of use I haven't had an issue with the leather slide guard getting floppy. If it does, I'll just get another one, they're that good.

Or I might go for the Concealment Express Tuckable kydex holster. A bit less comfortable.

Concealment Express tuckable holster for Shield - reduced.jpg

For me, a huge advantage to these two holsters is that they may be put on or taken off with one hand with the gun in the holster. Fewer chances for me to screw up. :001_smile

If I absolutely, positively have to zip up the winter coat, I use the DeSantis Pocket Tuk in a coat pocket with the belt clip removed.

DeSantis Pocket Tuck - reduced.jpg

So I voted "yes." :001_cool:

Last edited:
Spring, summer, fall my normal carry is a Ruger SP 101 .357Mag. 2.25" IWB or OWB depending on situation yeah, I'm an old wheelgun guy. Now in winter this whole game changes. I wear a base layer, wool shirt, wool vest and a Woolrich heavy field coat. Yeah, I hate the cold. Thus if I ever had to draw my daily I would have a bit of a problem. So I just put this NAA Guardian .380 in my coat pocket and call it a day. Normal carry load is Underwood 65 Grain Xtreme Defender.
daily 001.JPG
DSCI0426.JPG
DSCI0427.JPG

Putting up the "also-rans," handguns that see more frequent use. I'm less keen on the popular stunted compact revolvers and automatics. They're so easy to carry but I find myself asking if I'd really want to be stuck with one of them if an emergency need ever arose. I wouldn't.

This one isn't exactly an also-ran. It does see some hot-weather casual-dress pocket use for going to town in our small community. Its' a mid-1980s Smith & Wesson Model 649 .38 Special in the homely "Bodyguard" configuration of the J-Frame, carried in a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster. It also is carried as a back-up on those occasions when I do the all-night gun show security stints.

I love this Colt Detective Special in .38 Special!

I think it's superior to the J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver. The Detective Special is effectively as compact as the J-Frame yet holds six shots and is easier to shoot well, handling more like a larger service revolver than a stunted and cramped one. I carried this Detective Special for several years before I retired, once the bank's dress code was changed to lose the coat and tie. I also have a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster to fit it and toted it that way. I have mostly retired the Detective Special in favor of the Smith & Wesson Model 649 so as not to subject the Detective Special's finish to more wear.

This Triple K Secret Agent is a dandy way to carry the Detective Special OWB. Hides the revolver beneath a covering garment and the cant presents the butt in a way that makes the gun easily accessible. The holster is surprisingly well made, especially given it's price. Triple K doesn't currently show the No. 420 Secret Agent as available for the Detective Special. Only thing is, I've determined that if I can conceal the Detective Special OWB then I can also conceal something larger so I haven't carried the revolver OWB all that often.
#420 Secret Agent - Triple K

Here are a pair with really nice holsters to fit them, a stainless steel 2 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 Magnum(top) and a blue 2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special (bottom). The holsters were custom made by one of our own Forum members here on Badger & Blade, Eaglestroker. I don't know if he's currently active and doing holster work. His work is really outstanding.

The short-barreled 6-shot Smith & Wesson K-Frame revolvers look so "bi-ness-like" and bad-to-the-bone and they handle like dreams, offering more accuracy and shoot-ability than the J-Frames. Only thing is, like the Detective Special, I've found I can hide 4-inch K-Frames about as effectively so these don't see much use. Still, they just have to be toted on occasion.

Speaking of Eaglestroker's work, here's a fine gun belt he also turned out. This 1953-'54 3 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson N-Frame .357 Magnum (later to be called the Model 27) is a lot of iron to hang on a belt, but this belt gives perfect satisfaction with the heavy old revolver. I've taken to carrying this one more and more after picking it up at a gun show a few years ago. The big revolver is so smooth and accurate and it soaks up recoil from full-power 158 grain .357 Magnum ammunition so well that shooting it double-action is like "driving a Cadillac." I've toted it for all-night gun show security duty several times over the past year and a half since acquiring a vintage holster that is roughly the same age as the revolver. Even an N-Frame Smith & Wesson can hide under a sport coat and be comfortable to wear all day too. It's still a practical way to do .357 Magnum.

Pistols that just didn't "cut the mustard" with me.

Smith & Wesson Shield .40 S&W

I love the notion of the .40 S&W cartridge and really do like this D. M. Bullard IWB holster, but don't care much for the pistol itself, not its trigger nor the plastic. Been playing with the .40 Shield since February of 2014. It's just as easy to carry a full-size Colt Government Model in favorite IWB holsters.
http://store.bullardleather.com/catalog/category/5060225
I'd be willing to try another Bullard holster product, perhaps for the CZ 75BD that lives here.

A couple years ago I tried this Sticky Holster Home | Sticky Holsters - The Best Concealed Carry Holster for the Shield to see if it would be a viable pocket carry choice, perhaps as back-up for gun show security duty. The Sticky Holster has much to recommend it as a pocket holster design for a suitable handgun, but the Shield is a bust for me in trousers pockets. Pocket carry doesn't provide for the speediest of draws anyway, but the Shield is too awkward to draw with any speed and certainty for me.

This Kel Tec P3AT .380 ACP was hot on the market as a niche gun back in late 2005 when I let my brother-in-law's enthusiasm for them talk me into trying one. Was a tiny pistol for the .380 and there wasn't anything else quite like it in those days before the advent of the Ruger LCP. I thought it might be just the thing for deep concealment, especially to replace the Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP that I formerly tucked into a hip pocket behind my wallet. This P3AT was a stinker, requiring much break-in trigger time to achieve reliable function. I was stubbornly determined to avoid the "fluffing and buffing" being discussed online at the time so made a hobby of breaking it in through shooting it. It took over 600 rounds of mostly handloads for it to "straighten up and fly right." Shot with perfect reliability after that for many years and about a thousand more rounds. I had it out to the range a couple months back to wring it out for the first time in a while and found the P3AT to be back to its old tricks with both failures to eject and mysterious failures to fire.

The P3AT and the Colt Model 1908 .25

Never have liked the pistol. It presents itself as cheap-o and flimsy. Sights are nothing more than indistinct lumps atop the slide. Trigger is loathsome. I'm not even much of a fan of .380 ACP. It has emerged as the "yard gun", going in a pocket in a De Santis Nemesis holster when I'm mowing the lawn or doing other outside chores around the house. It's gonna be demoted from even that duty if it can't be sorted out. Might even end up in the lake out at our old family place, for if it can't be made to reliably run then it shouldn't be sent on down the trail in a trade.

The P3AT with its De Santis Nemesis holster THE NEMESIS . The ammunition is from a bunch of surplus Spanish Santa Barbara .380 ammunition that was imported in 2005-2006. The ammunition was rather warm giving 1033 fps from the P3AT. I can't recall the bullet's weight now. The bullet has a flat, slightly concave point. It was with quantities of this ammunition that the pistol finally smoothed out. I still have four or five boxes of the ammunition on hand.

Despite the pistol's general wretchedness I once used a magazine-full to walk bullets onto a galvanized 25-gallon trash can at 165 yards, then hit it with four of the six rounds in the second magazine-full.

The trash can on the side of the hill at our "rifle range." From the guy wire to the can is 165 yards according to my brother-in-law's range finder.

Looking back to the pickup from the trash can on the hill. If a rifle shooter backs up a bit further from where the pickup is parked then he can shoot 200 yards.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Some amazing photos! Thanks.

1911 is amazing, but last time I carried one ... was very glad to go back to polymer. In the same caliber.

AA

The gorgeous leather holsters on display here are such a treat! Thank you to all.

Though I must say that the holsters that don't cover the trigger guard give me the willies. :eek6:

(I get it that a DA pull is long and heavy, and I get that LEO training in the past included getting your finger on the trigger during the drawstroke, but . . . I'm pretty sure I wouldn't order a modern holster that left the trigger guard open. However, I'm prepared to admit that I'm not nearly as manly as the rest of youse guys. :blushing: )

I'm not so manly tromboneliness. I'm just clueless, for a holster that doesn't protect the trigger has never given me a moment's pause. I didn't come from a law enforcement background though and the training that requires.

Apparently some thought even years ago that the uncovered trigger provided some sort of "tactical" benefit. Lots of vintage holsters may be seen on auction sites and at gun shows with modifications done to them to expose the trigger. This Bluemel holster might have been "sorta collectible" except for the crude alteration done to further expose the trigger over what the holster's design already called for.

Just for fun. Concealed carry from back the olden days.

This holster probably dates to the period between 1910 and the mid-1920s, judging from the particular style of maker's mark Heiser applied. This holster is an an early type of inside-the-waistband model, made for the 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver (later to be termed Model 10) which is a perfect fit. It's likely not a very common holster but also is not as likely to generate much interest among real holster collectors, which is why it ended up in my holster bin for cheap.

This holster shows a good bit of wear so obviously provided someone with a means to conceal the protection they deemed necessary.

It's difficult to imagine that the leather belt loops held up to long use but despite the holster's age and obviously worn condition, the leather of the loops as well as the rest of the holster, is still supple. The draw from this holster is effortless, yet the gun is carried well secured, being positioned deep within the holster.

I wore it around in the house one evening and it's a very comfortable holster and this despite wearing jeans that are too tight with the added intrusion of an IWB holster in the waistband. I had Mrs. noelekal snap a quick photo. Some vintage gabardine trousers, tailored to fit with room for this holster, would have worked fine.

The 4-inch round butt Smith & Wesson Military & Police .38 Special revolver shows a serial number of 296XXX so was produced sometime in the 1917-1919 period. The round butt is a nice touch for concealment and feels really good in the hand when grasped. The somewhat less commonly found round butt K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver of the 1910-1940 period, when equipped with the checkered walnut stock panels, lends itself to good shooting with excellent ergonomics which has to be experienced to be appreciated. The plain clothes lawman wearing this revolver in this holster would have been well-equipped back in the day.

Enjoying the photos and comments.

@noelekal I had that "wonderful" Kel Tec P3AT when it first came out. It burned my hand when I shot it at the range. I gave up after shooting about 100 rounds and sold it. I don't know if it was just my gun - but at times when I pulled it out of the pocket holster the mag would separate.

OkieStubble

noelekal said:
Despite the pistol's general wretchedness I once used a magazine-full to walk bullets onto a galvanized 25-gallon trash can at 165 yards, then hit it with four of the six rounds in the second magazine-full.

The trash can on the side of the hill at our "rifle range." From the guy wire to the can is 165 yards according to my brother-in-law's range finder.

Wow! I am scared of you. :)

Top Bottom