What's new

Hot sauce junkie

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
New to this forum. love hot sauces. Are any of you using fermented peppers in your sauces?
I made sriracha once (somewhere in this thread)- I need to do it again. I think the mixture fermented for 7 days before it was halted with the addition of vinegar.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thinking about getting a fermentation kit and doing my next batch of serrano sauce fermented style.

That decision didn't take long...

Serranos processed and added to fermentation jar. I'm a newbie at this so fingers crossed

Image 3-23-19 at 3.22 PM.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thinking about getting a fermentation kit and doing my next batch of serrano sauce fermented style.
When I did it I didn’t bother. I just placed cheesecloth over the mouth and attached a rubber band. I wouldn’t do that with cabbage, but the peppers didn’t make a real strong smell.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
When I did it I didn’t bother. I just placed cheesecloth over the mouth and attached a rubber band. I wouldn’t do that with cabbage, but the peppers didn’t make a real strong smell.

Oh I'll be doing cabbage too. Carrots, beans, cukes, asparagus...I'm looking forward to experimenting

Crystal hot sauce isn't spicy. Flavorful but no kick at all. Surprised that people say it's hot. I had to add more than a few drops of Trinidad scorpion extract to bring it up to a good heat level. And now it's great.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I believe you need to stir it at least once a day.

I've read that you may need to "burp" them once a day if using tight fitting lids. My understanding is that if using an airlock of some sort like the Masontops (or presumably cheese cloth) burping is not necessary. I haven't heard of needing to stir though. But again, I'm new at this.

I saw some videos on making hot sauce with fermented chili's. Never tried it myself.
I use latex gloves when handling and prepping the peppers. i then repurpose a glove by using it to seal the fermentation jar instead of the cheesecloth. it is pretty funny when the glove starts to "wave"/expand do to the CO2 build up in the jar (usually Ball) used for fermentation.

I put the jars in a tray with plastic bags loosely rubber banded on. They burped themselves (the tray catches the excess..). I liked the results. The fresh "control" batch was a bit sharper but still good.

Top Bottom