What's new

Hot sauce junkie

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I didn't wear gloves yesterday while slicing up some fresh jalapenos from the back yard ... :07:

... I really should have. Ay, ay, ay. :a13:

What an astonishingly powerful chemical capsaicin is. :001_unsur

You'd think I would have remembered from that time I sliced up a ton of habanaeros for the dehydrator ... "glowing, radioactive gloves" is what my hands felt like. For days.:devil2: :spockflam

AA

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I didn't wear gloves yesterday while slicing up some fresh jalapenos from the back yard ... :07:

... I really should have. Ay, ay, ay. :a13:

What an astonishingly powerful chemical capsaicin is. :001_unsur

You'd think I would have remembered from that time I sliced up a ton of habanaeros for the dehydrator ... "glowing, radioactive gloves" is what my hands felt like. For days.:devil2: :spockflam

AA
Happened to me as well. I sliced up a bunch of serranos, in less then 10 or 15 minutes my hands were on fire. There was nothing I could do to get relief until I put on aloe vera and took 3 tylenols. Normally serranos aren't that hot. I guess they were unusually potent. Lucky for me I didn't touch the pickle...if ya know I mean?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Happened to me as well. I sliced up a bunch of serranos, in less then 10 or 15 minutes my hands were on fire. There was nothing I could do to get relief until I put on aloe vera and took 3 tylenols. Normally serranos aren't that hot. I guess they were unusually potent. Lucky for me I didn't touch the pickle...if ya know I mean?

Yeah. Or los ojos ... that means, "the/my/your eyes," in Spanish.

:nono: :ohmy:
:spockflam

AA

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Picked some nice habaneros from the garden this morning. I'm going to try a mustard based hot sauce with these. Anyone have a great recipe for mustard based hot sauce they wouldn't mind sharing?

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 1.05.37 PM.png

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Crazy Kiwi Mustard Hot sauce.
This is my recipe. Well some of it is from a mustard pickle recipe but I adapted it with what I think would work to make a hot sauce. I wing it most times, so excuse my rambling reciepe. I can't recall if I sent some to @oc_in_fw and @DoctorShavegood to try, if I did they can tell you if it was ok or not. I think it's good but I would say that. :)

Habs.....as much as you want, or blend with something hotter if you want. I think I use 20 or so. I made one with Habaneros and a Nebru 7 Pod to kick up the heat a bit.

Apple Cider vinegar: 1 cup
sugar: hmmm table spoon or two? Add it don't add it, its your call.
Fennel seeds: a few heaped teaspoons.
Mustard seeds: a few heaped teaspoons.
1 onion chopped.
garlic as much as you want.
Prepared mustard. Home made or store bought. I go mild and approx 1/2 a cup....I think, go to taste after all it's a mustard habenero hot sauce so go as heavy or light as you want.
Tin of peaches and some of the juice.
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a pot with cider vinegar, mustard seed, fennel seeds & some sugar. Heat till sugar is dissolved, raise to a boil. As soon as it boiled turn off and cover pot, let sit for 15 minutes. Then strain to reserve the liquid.

Sautee the onion, chopped chilli and garlic.
Combined onion, chilli, garlic and vinegar mix in a blender. Add peaches and some of the juice (I normally add more at the taste testing in finally cook off)
After blending return it to the pot, add mustard. Simmer for a few minutes.
Taste test and adjust to taste with any or all of these. Honey, more mustard or more peach juice.

I think that's it. When I first made it I used some hot English mustard powder and a bit of turmeric for added colour but have dropped both.

Top Bottom