What's new

Horse strop (horsehide & horse shell)

Ok so I’m wanna buy a good horse strop and I’m looking at different options here.
Budget not a problem (I think) saved enough the last few months just to get a good quality horse strop.
So I’m looking at this nice well done looking Horsehide strops on eBay and Etsy for around 100-150 dollars.
And a good cordovan horse shell for around 200-250 dollars.
Now my question is:
Can somebody tell me the why to choose horse shell over Horsehide ?
And I’m no trying to start a little battle here I just want to know the why?
Is it for luxury or really for performance?
The difference in price is quite a lot
From $100 all the way to over $300.
I also came around this different cordovan thing:
Cordovan shell horse runs around $200
“Horween” horse shell over $300
Is the horween something different or more special?
Anyway give me your thoughts on this thank you

4C1EA82E-F741-467D-B9EA-5855F4CAFD92.jpeg
As to “good choice” for a horsehide butt..this Rasoir Sabre is a great strop. About $90.00 from The Superior Shave. Fairly heavy draw.
Shell Cordovan is horseleather made from the fibrous flat muscle beneath the hide on the butt of the horse. It is more than a tad spendy.
Horween is the company (arguably the best) which makes a lot of cordovan leather.
Cordovan draw is really fast.

IMO Shell is much more effective than regular horse butt.
It is certainly more durable and the gold standard for strops.
Cordovan is just a process for shell leather. A long and laborious process. Not sure it makes for better strops than Bark tanned vintage shell though. I have 2 Kanayama's and my vintage Red Imps and Llamas perform better but the Kanayama's are like skating on fresh blades!

IMO Shell is much more effective than regular horse butt.
It is certainly more durable and the gold standard for strops.
Cordovan is just a process for shell leather. A long and laborious process. Not sure it makes for better strops than Bark tanned vintage shell though. I have 2 Kanayama's and my vintage Red Imps and Llamas perform better but the Kanayama's are like skating on fresh blades!
Which Kanayama you own ?
7000? I went to the website and I really liked the 7000 model although I noticed it comes without handles and they don’t make it on 3” width.
Wondering if they can customize an order.

Not to knock vintage horse shell, which I love, but I've also had a good experience with a 2"-wide Scrupleworks barber's cut horsehide. Very light draw there.

Not to knock vintage horse shell, which I love, but I've also had a good experience with a 2"-wide Scrupleworks barber's cut horsehide. Very light draw there.

Bottom line I think is cheaper to buy the whole dam,n horse and just call it every morning before shaving to strop your razor on the horse butt.

A horse is a heavy and by nature nervous creature. It also has iron shoes. If I was a horse, which I'm not, I'd know exactly what to do if someone tried to rub a straight razor against my more private parts. So I strongly recommend against it. What I do recommend is that you look up Scrupleworks as recommended above. There are also very good strops that are cheaper than horse hide strops, but horse shell will always be expensive.

A horse is a heavy and by nature nervous creature. It also has iron shoes. If I was a horse, which I'm not, I'd know exactly what to do if someone tried to rub a straight razor against my more private parts. So I strongly recommend against it. What I do recommend is that you look up Scrupleworks as recommended above. There are also very good strops that are cheaper than horse hide strops, but horse shell will always be expensive.
Hahaha:p

Horween is a company that tans and produces both leather and leather products. Typically Horween shell cordovan is thought to be the most luxurious of all leathers. Due to their skill and reputation Horween shell comes with a steep price. There is no doubt some brand love in it just as with any other product, but I own two Horween shell cordovan strops and they are my favorite stropping surface by far. Their website is also a good place to check out if you like leather.
Home

I have a 70000 and a 30000 Kanayama.
3 Red Imps (shell), 1 Russian tannage (shell), 1 Deepcut by Certifyd (shell), vintage Llama 928 (shell) and the 2 Kanayamas
I have also owned in the past reg. horse butt by Tony miller and a Latigo by Tony Miller and a reg. cowhide strop.

I have a 70000 and a 30000 Kanayama.
3 Red Imps (shell), 1 Russian tannage (shell), 1 Deepcut by Certifyd (shell), vintage Llama 928 (shell) and the 2 Kanayamas
I have also owned in the past reg. horse butt by Tony miller and a Latigo by Tony Miller and a reg. cowhide strop.
So how you like the 70k ?
After a deep search last 2 days I’m trying to decide between 70k and 50k
I would appreciate some input on that

I will add that my horween horse butt from Griffith shaving goods is an excellent strop. My llama is a little faster but the horween is a really nice strop at a reasonable price. Good luck. It's scary asking opinions on b and b.

For Kanayama, I have 40k, 80k and 90k. My 90k is softer and feels much better compared to 80k. 90k is worth the extra dollars I paid compared to 80k.

To be honest, I like the 30000 better. It has always had a nicer draw to it than the 70. It is only a slight draw but the 70 has virtually none. It is slicker than slick.
Now most of mine have very little draw being shell.
My first strop was a vintage Red Imp given to me by my barber. I wanted something that felt similar to that. The 30k matched it very well with only slightly more draw. The 70k was a good price at the time so thought I would try a higher end model. It is a very good strop also!

I think most of them will have a similar feeling to them, what you are paying for is the thickness/durability.
I think the 50k and 60k are the same thickness just different lengths but that's minimal.
70k and 80k same thickness and 90k their thickest - if memory serves.
Kanayama's are very nice strops as I'm sure others are too.

Top Bottom