What's new

Horse strop (horsehide & horse shell)

The horween has a easy draw.not slick but not heavy.i like the linen more than others. I got the barber ends so it was cheaper.i use the Griffith eqaully as my kanayama llama.i think I got the llama from fendrihan. Both similar price.good luck

834B0142-47A1-4B41-8048-BFFB85E5B70A.jpeg
Aight gents finally here.
So I found the Kanayama 70000 just (if I can described in one word: GLORIOUS). awesome strop I will definitely recommend it as finishing strop.
Now I know why Cordovan leather cost so much.
I also bought a horween horse strop (first from left to right).
I was looking for a horween cordovan strop but the ones I liked weren’t available (westholme).
I will definitely buy one once they’re available.
I must say the horween strop performs way different than my red Latigo (third left to right) (less draw) way different sound.
Back to Kanayama, the strop is very very smooth almost like glass.
Almost no draw at all sounds like (lightning) very very fast.
I’m really want to compare a Kanayama and westholme strops.
Since they’re both high quality but westholme uses horween leather.
But in a resume words horsehide strops are a bit superior than cowhide (at least for me they feel better)
But that’s just my opinion.
Shave on gents ;)

I prefer my Kanayama more than Westholme. Nothing wrong with Westholme. It’s just personal preference I guess.
So far I really like the Kanayama strop a lot, I’ve been using it as finishing strop, definitely a high end product.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Black Beauty Strop.jpg
Just bought this on the bay from a seller I've dealt with. Vintage horsehide, double leather. Made in New South Wales. Guaranteed. Looks lovely and will be here Tuesday. Can't wait to see it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Awesome looking forward for the input
Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christian & Son; [1910-1950]; 97.249
ehive.comFrom
North Sydney Heritage Centre, Stanton Library

Name/Title
Strop, horse hide/metal

About this object
Strop, brown leather, double length, metal rings at one end for hanging the strop and leather handle at the other, used for sharpening razor blades.

Maker
A.H. Christian & Son

Maker Role
Manufacturer

Date Made
[1910-1950]

Place Made
NSW, Australia

Medium and Materials
horse hide, metal

Inscription and Marks
Printed on handle in silver: 'Ready for Use'; printed on strop in silver: 'Black Watch'; impressed: 'Genuine Horse Hide/ Made by A.H. Christian & Son/ N.S.W./Solid Hide'

Measurements
L 680 mm x W 58 mm; strop: L 474 mm

Subject and Association Description
Personal effects

Collection
Don Bank Museum collection

Object Type
Shaving equipment

Object number

Copyright Licence
Attribution - Non-commercialPhoto by: cc

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Awesome looking forward for the input
Keep us posted

Received it today. Absolutely amazing. Perfect shape. The back side is perfectly smooth leather, the side marked “finish” is slightly textured. Just stropped a Wostholme and it performed beautifully. The strop felt like it would be slow to the touch but turned out to be reasonably fast. Very supple. I’m 69 years old and that strop is older than I am but in much better shape.

Awesome good job, for some reason I’m always have trouble finding good condition vintage strops, I really want one but the ones I found so far they need work and restoration in which area I do not know nothing about it.
Right now I have my eye on a Russian horsehide vintage one but again it will need restoration. Mmm we will see.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Awesome good job, for some reason I’m always have trouble finding good condition vintage strops, I really want one but the ones I found so far they need work and restoration in which area I do not know nothing about it.
Right now I have my eye on a Russian horsehide vintage one but again it will need restoration. Mmm we will see.

This was pure happenstance. I wasn’t even looking vintage - just horse and a restorer I deal with put it up on the bay and i quickly did a “buy it now”. There is one very small cut at the top of the “finish” side above where you would strop. I don’t really understand the double leather but it works. I stropped seven blades and all did perfectly. I would like to know the story on it. It certainly hasn’t been laying in a drawer for seventy years - supple as the day it was made.

This was pure happenstance. I wasn’t even looking vintage - just horse and a restorer I deal with put it up on the bay and i quickly did a “buy it now”. There is one very small cut at the top of the “finish” side above where you would strop. I don’t really understand the double leather but it works. I stropped seven blades and all did perfectly. I would like to know the story on it. It certainly hasn’t been laying in a drawer for seventy years - supple as the day it was made.
Is the double leather a "Loop" of leather, with the same side facing outwards on both sides?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Is the double leather a "Loop" of leather, with the same side facing outwards on both sides?
No it is two separate pieces of leather. One side is a normal strop and the side marked finish has a very light textured surface. There are hundreds of barely visible tiny worm like things swimming across the strop they wouldn’t show up in a photo. In any case, the finish side is faster than the other. Truly phenomenal strop.

61740BFD-B1B2-4459-BD18-5AB5D739FA09.jpeg
E92DAC5E-B413-4462-B4D3-6D8B4DB587FD.jpeg
B5231A6A-BB4F-4A44-8627-FAA318690A79.jpeg
Pure indulgence, my final strop, from me to me. A custom 3” Westholme Horweens Shell Cordovan strop, with my final straight a 8/8 Koraat Spike point damascus full bellied hollow in ivory scales by Alfredo aka Doc226.

Great draw, light and smooth, not as much draw as my 7000 horse, love them both.

90AE8526-23B8-41E1-8837-E8269A98C1E7.jpeg
Thank you. Were you make a strop choice yet? I know its an older thread, but figured I would add to it in case someone looks at it in the future.
Yesir I end up getting a Kanayama 70000 and a horween horse strop.
Very happy with the choice I made.
Still looking for a westholme strop sometime in the future I will get it.

View attachment 914447
Yesir I end up getting a Kanayama 70000 and a horween horse strop.
Very happy with the choice I made.
Still looking for a westholme strop sometime in the future I will get it.

Wow, Im blind...I missed that large review post, lol. Congrats you have a super collection of strops; I hope you enjoy them all for many years!

Top Bottom