What's new

I've got these old records, what do I need to play them?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Im looking for a way to play records that I inherited when my mom died. Most are from the 60's and 70's and I can remember her placing them on the turntable and singing along when I was a kid. I need some advice on equipment to buy. New or vintage it doesn't matter to me. I don't need top of the line and I'm no audiophile but I want something that will last and sound good. There are a few "music stores" around here that have a good deal of vintage equipment but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Max budget is about $1000 but if there's a special component that would drive the cost over by $2-300 that would probably be ok. I don't have a lot of room for tall speakers so bookshelf size speakers would be best, I know I'm giving up some sound quality without tower speakers but it is what it is. What do y'all suggest?

For 60's, you would need a 33 rpm turntable.

If the records are from 20 years earlier, then maybe a 78 rpm turntable.

... If I understood correctly.

I'm a bit of an audiophile myself, and I can firmly state that the price increase to performance increase ratio isn't linear. You can spend $50,000 on a vinyl system that doesn't sound a whole lot better than a $700 one. The biggest difference by far is the speakers. Unless you have unicorn speakers, don't go crazy on a turntable.

This is all you need for a very good setup:

Edit: I should also add that Crutchfield is top notch. You can talk to one of their advisors and they'll tell you which components work well together and if there's something that's a better match for your goals.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Someone recommended these speakers to me a while back. Never got them but if I need a pair at some point it will be these. Klipsch also makes the same style but a bit more powerful for around $250

Then this turntable For about 500

And also a pre amp for about 150ish I think. I forget which one but Pro-Ject also makes some in the 100-200 price range.

And I think that’s basically all you need.

I went the cheap route - Went to Walmart and bought a Bluetooth turntable. It connects to my soundbar via Bluetooth so I didn’t need any extra speakers. Sounds ok for the few records I play once a year.

Klipsch speakers are great quality, but I wouldn’t recommend buying them without auditioning them first. Their horn tweeters are quite a bit different than the sound most people know and expect to come from dome speakers and headphones. Horn tweeters are very clear, but they’re bright and aggressive. They have energy, or sizzle for lack of better words, and the sound is on you fast. It’s like cupping your hands around your mouth while shouting across the room. That’s what a horn tweeter is specifically designed to do. If your goal is to melt into your recliner, relax to music, and reminisce about the past, Klipsch isn’t what comes to mind.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thanks for then suggestions everyone. Keep them coming. I can’t believe I forgot about Crutchfield. I used to be pretty big into car stereo systems and my friends were all into trunk/car rattling bass. We used to order stuff from Crutchfield over the phone out of a paper catalog.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Ok, now I’m rethinking the bookshelf speakers. Any recommendations for good tower speakers. My budget may have to get bigger, but I understand that. I’d need a receiver, pre-amp (unless one is built into the turntable), turntable, and speakers. Correct?

Ok, now I’m rethinking the bookshelf speakers. Any recommendations for good tower speakers. My budget may have to get bigger, but I understand that. I’d need a receiver, pre-amp (unless one is built into the turntable), turntable, and speakers. Correct?
Tower speakers may not be an absolute requirement. Good bookshelf speakers with a separate subwoofer may actually perform better in many spaces because you can position the subwoofer in the optimal location, which isn’t always where the bookshelf or tower speakers are located.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Right now I’m trying to figure out where I’d put the system. Our living room has 30ft ceilings ans is very open. All I’d be able to put in that space is a bookshelf system because, honestly my wife won’t let me put anything else bigger than that in the room. There’s also not a very good place to put a separate sub because it’s open to the kitchen, entry, and garage hallways so there’s not a wall anywhere to place a sub. If I move everything into the basement I drop to 10ft ceilings and a smaller space. I have plenty of room to put just about any size speakers or components there but they may end up being too much for the smaller area.

Used is your best option. See what they have and report back, I'm guessing many of us would be able to spot a good vintage table. Sony, Technics, Pioneer, Denon, all great.

They usually sound better, are built better and will be a perfect match for your mom's vintage records.

If not, take a look at a Project. This one even has a built in preamp. I wouldn't drop $2k until you know it's something you want to pursue as a hobby.

All my tables would be considered "vintage". My most modern table being a $300 canadian Technics SL-1200mk2 (not the anniversary one, the original), before the vinyl craze started. If you only plan on using the system for Phonograph use, you only need 2 speakers and maybe a sub. I switch all my receivers to 2 channel for turntable use.

It's the only way I listen to music now and for the past 20y or so. Start to finish, cleaning each side, it's a process I enjoy and makes me appreciate the full albums.

Last edited:
Right now I’m trying to figure out where I’d put the system. Our living room has 30ft ceilings ans is very open. All I’d be able to put in that space is a bookshelf system because, honestly my wife won’t let me put anything else bigger than that in the room. There’s also not a very good place to put a separate sub because it’s open to the kitchen, entry, and garage hallways so there’s not a wall anywhere to place a sub. If I move everything into the basement I drop to 10ft ceilings and a smaller space. I have plenty of room to put just about any size speakers or components there but they may end up being too much for the smaller area.
Quite frankly, from a pure sound standpoint, the living room specs out as a bad match. The basement is much better. Get some tower speakers, place them about 1-2 ft off of the wall, toe them in at your listening position, and let it rip.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what records are you going to be spinning?
I’d have to go dig them out and report back for sure but I know there’s multiple Beatles albums, Stones, CCR, Jefferson Airplane/Starship (both versions), Willie Nelson, Cream, Hendricks, and the Grateful Dead. There probably 150 albums in all. When she passed no one wanted them but me. They’re all original albums that she bought new. As far as I know they haven’t been played in 20-30yrs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have one of the original Rega Planar 3 turntables. They have upgraded them some but for a relatively inexpensive turntable, they produce excellent sound. I also have semi-ancient Vandersteen 2cI speakers. You can find them used for around $600. They aren't audiophile standard, but they sure play music. I used to read Stereophile religiously years ago and both were recommended as top of the line for people on a budget. I found that to be true.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

My understanding is you want a phono input on the receiver or integrated amp. If it doesn't have that input, you will need a external phono preamp unless the turntable has one built into the turntable.

If you get a receiver (with phono input), then plug the turntable and speakers in and you're in spinning tunes.
If you go pre-amp you'll also need an amplifier. Alternatively get an integrated amplifier (pre-amp & amplifier in one)

Now I know nothing of the US market, but this entry level integrated amplifier is something I'm considering for my second system. With that said I'm also looking at second hand, as there's a lot out there for a good price here in NZ.

Mate, if you didn't live so far away, I'd send you my old Misson 704 floor speakers to get you started.

I've been mulling over getting these speakers for my second system. They go low. Okay not as low as a floor speaker but I think they should be a good alternative and not cost an arm and leg.

Last edited:
I’d have to go dig them out and report back for sure but I know there’s multiple Beatles albums, Stones, CCR, Jefferson Airplane/Starship (both versions), Willie Nelson, Cream, Hendricks, and the Grateful Dead. There probably 150 albums in all. When she passed no one wanted them but me. They’re all original albums that she bought new. As far as I know they haven’t been played in 20-30yrs.
Well, your Mom had great taste. I'm glad they are going to get some use and enjoyment.

The fact they they were all purchased by her, likely original pressings and have been played and loved, make them even more special.

I'm glad you are taking an interest in them.

I use one of these on my tables. It's a budget friendly preamp that punches well above it's price point.

Top Bottom