What's new

Recommendations for a first Razor but with minimal passes - more info inside

I've recently returned to DE. I did it in the 70s and 80s where the blade choice was Gillette, Schick, and Wilkensen Sword. Used the Old Spice mug with a boar bristle, and a Gillette adjustable.
I went to a Mach 3 with a side detour a couple years ago. Got a DE razor and 5 different blades. The razor and I never agreed, and back to Mach.
This Christmas, I got a Vikings Blade Emperor, and a huge sample pack of blades 16 different blades, and 9 settings on the razor.
If I can't find something that works out of this lot, I'll give up.
First blade was a Derby extra at setting 1. Not a great shave, and the face needed some moisturizer.
Today, I did it at 2 and adjusted my angle a bit. Better.
Even if I hate it in the end, 100 blades should carry me for at least a year.

In Sainsbury's you can get Palmolive cream for £2, which I personally prefer

You also mentioned a modern Gillette razor, which is probably the King C Gillette. A few weeks backs they were on sale for just £10 in Superdrug. Bargain! This is basically the same head design as the de89 / Muhle r89. If you can get one at that price it's a no-brainer.

So that's a razor and cream for £12.
razorbladesclub is a good source for blade samplers.
Ended up going with your advice here, the razor was still available for £10 so managed to get that deal. Will get the Sainsbury's cream and have ordered a beginner variety blade pack from razorbladesclub, thanks for the advice!

Have also bought some Viking Revolution pre-shave oil from Amazon and Nivea sensitive aftershave balm (that was recommended on a thread somewhere) to go with it

Sounds like a good starting point. I would be quite happy shaving with that set up. You can spend a lot more money and not get better results.

Do you have a brush? You will need one.

With Palmolive, I like to squeeze about 4cm out of the tube then smear half on each side of my face. Dip the brush, shake out most of the water and go to work. It's better to start with too little water and add it gradually than start with too much. Once you think the water is all incorporated, dribble a bit more water into the brush and go back to the face. After a couple of rounds, you will hit a "critical mass" of water where the lather just explodes. That amount of cream is enough to make way more lather than you need, but you want it to be concentrated and slick. Build up as much volume as you want by working the lather and adding water, then just paint in a bit more water without actually making more volume, until it gets nice and yoghurty and sloppy. Great lather for a couple of quid! :thumbup1:

It might take some practice, but you will get there. Here is a recent post I made in response to another guy with some useful links on three important things: New to Wet Shaving Frustration - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-to-wet-shaving-frustration.647403/#post-12506318

Good prep. Good lather. Sharp blades. Start off with the grain. Good angle. Short strokes. No pressure. Focus on these elements and it will come together with a bit of patience and application.

Do you have a brush? You will need one.
I haven't yet, was considering testing things out piece by piece (starting off just lathering with fingers) rather than spending a lot of money at once. Was looking at maybe the superdrug shaving brush as it's quite cheap (£5), hoping to keep costs down a bit.
Thank you for the technique advice!

I haven't yet, was considering testing things out piece by piece (starting off just lathering with fingers) rather than spending a lot of money at once. Was looking at maybe the superdrug shaving brush as it's quite cheap (£5), hoping to keep costs down a bit.
Thank you for the technique advice!

You really need a brush to use the shaving cream properly...I mean, it'll work without it, but it probably won't be as good. I think there is even a little picture of a brush on the tube IIRC.

That cheap Superdrug brush actually looks okay. It probably won't be as good as a Yaqi, but it'll work. Why not?

Welcome! Some great advice above.

Of the razors you list, I suggest either the 34C or one of the 89 series.

I would also focus on technique:
1. Read through the WiKi and watch a few videos.
2. Focus on maintaining proper razor angle.
3. NO pressure.

Finally, be PATIENT! ‘Traditional‘ wet shaving is a skill set that takes awhile to obtain.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!:thumbup::thumbup:

Ended up going with your advice here, the razor was still available for £10 so managed to get that deal. Will get the Sainsbury's cream and have ordered a beginner variety blade pack from razorbladesclub, thanks for the advice!

Have also bought some Viking Revolution pre-shave oil from Amazon and Nivea sensitive aftershave balm (that was recommended on a thread somewhere) to go with it
Good start. Palmolive is an excellent cream. (I don’t use pre-shave so I couldn’t tell you.)
You really need a brush to use the shaving cream properly...I mean, it'll work without it, but it probably won't be as good. I think there is even a little picture of a brush on the tube IIRC.

That cheap Superdrug brush actually looks okay. It probably won't be as good as a Yaqi, but it'll work. Why not?
Brushes don’t have to be expensive to be effective. I bought a cheap one off of Amazon when I started and it has served me well. I also have a Yaqi synthetic, but I still use that first brush most of the time.

Hi all, new to the DE world and could use some advice with the sheer amount of information and choices out there. (Hope this is the right place to post this)

Up until now I've just been using regular shaving foam and cartridges, looking to make the switch to DE razors. One of the reasons I'm looking to switch is irritation on my neck from cartridges, partly due to the agressiveness of them but also due to me shaving against the grain (something I've only just realised I've been doing on that part of my neck, didn't realise the hair grew different ways)

Had lots of chats with the people at executive shaving, but not sure how much is actual advice vs trying to sell the products they sell so coming here for a second opinion.

The main worry with DE shaving is the amount of extra time it takes over cartridge shaving, so I'm looking for something which would enable me to only do minimal passes and be fairly quick (but obviously taking my time during the pass).

I have been looking at:
Muhle R89
Merkur 34C
Merkur 300C Progress adjustable

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
The R89 and 34C are both fairly mild razors, with the 34C slightly less mild. Both are good for beginners, and if I wanted a closer shave I could get sharper blades in.
The Progress would allow me to adjust to be more agressive once I get better technique, allowing me to do less passes and thus take less time to shave but comes at a greater cost.

My current plan of products to buy alongside:
Wilkinson Sword blades that have PTFE coating to start, moving on to Feather blades later once I get better
Pre-shave oil and Shave Cream that is applied by hand, again trying to save time to not use a brush + bowl (hope I don't offend anyone by doing this)

Would really appreciate any advice on the above (or any suggestions for different razors, with around the same budget in mind) as well as the shaving routine plan!
On the lowest setting the Progress is just like the 34C HD IMHO. The only way to get a BBS with less passes is using a very aggressive razor with a super sharp blade like the Feathers. You can make any razor more aggressive if you shim it. I played with this method and I got a BBS with only two passed. I used the Fatip OC v1 with a Feather blade. Feather blades are really good for me they last 20+ shaves. I can recommend you to get a blade sampler pack. Astra SP's, Wizamets, Permasharps are really great blades.

I don't know what beard type you have but as for a razor I really would recommend getting a Fatip Open comb, compared to the Merkur razors it's very cheap. I got mine for 18 euros and it is my favorite razor. If you're used to the Merkur 34C HD you'll have to get used to the Fatip OC.

Couple questions if that's alright:
1. What sort of consistency should the cream be compared to regular can foam? I tried to get it thick and yoghurty as you described but could only do a sort of thin-ish layer of slightly foamy consistency
2. How much pressure should I be using with the brush? Seems like too little and it doesn't move anything, too much and the bristles dig in a bit - I know this is all down to experience but struggling to get a good medium so far
3. Once finished, what's the best way to deal with the brush? Rinse, squeeze out as much as possible then leave to air dry? Or can it go straight into a cupboard after squeezing

Thanks!

Couple questions if that's alright:
1. What sort of consistency should the cream be compared to regular can foam? I tried to get it thick and yoghurty as you described but could only do a sort of thin-ish layer of slightly foamy consistency
2. How much pressure should I be using with the brush? Seems like too little and it doesn't move anything, too much and the bristles dig in a bit - I know this is all down to experience but struggling to get a good medium so far
3. Once finished, what's the best way to deal with the brush? Rinse, squeeze out as much as possible then leave to air dry? Or can it go straight into a cupboard after squeezing

Thanks!

1) it's difficult for me to say more about lathering than I did earlier. It sounds to me as though you had either not enough cream, too much water, or didn't spend enough time working it. You really are aiming for something like Greek yoghurt.

2) You want the brush to splay a little, but don't mash it. I never used that brush and it may be stiff, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable if it splays rather than poking. It migjt need a bit of encouragement to make it splay, but once it does it will be comfortable and will work up the lather much better.

3) Rinse thoroughly. Squeeze out and let air dry. That's best. Synthetics aren't as fragile as natural hair but you don't want a damp brush. Damp = mould.

Keep us updated on the lathering.

I have a son-in-law whose been wetshaving over 15 years. He still uses the same Merkur 34C, with Feather blades. It works for him.

I think the main thing is finding a DE that feels comfortable in your hand. It's always cheaper to try a different blade than buy another DE. In my working years, I never had a job where I needed needed to be clean shaven. I'd shave on Friday night, with a cart and spend the next week plucking out ingrown hairs. Shortly before retirement, I found this site and started shaving every other day with an early 50s SuperSpeed, or a Merkur 34G. While the 34 was my favorite for years, when using IP Reds or Astra SP blades (I can't do Feather blades) , I've gotten lazy in retirement and switched DE and blade.

Hi all, new to the DE world and could use some advice with the sheer amount of information and choices out there. (Hope this is the right place to post this)

Up until now I've just been using regular shaving foam and cartridges, looking to make the switch to DE razors. One of the reasons I'm looking to switch is irritation on my neck from cartridges, partly due to the agressiveness of them but also due to me shaving against the grain (something I've only just realised I've been doing on that part of my neck, didn't realise the hair grew different ways)

Had lots of chats with the people at executive shaving, but not sure how much is actual advice vs trying to sell the products they sell so coming here for a second opinion.

The main worry with DE shaving is the amount of extra time it takes over cartridge shaving, so I'm looking for something which would enable me to only do minimal passes and be fairly quick (but obviously taking my time during the pass).

I have been looking at:
Muhle R89
Merkur 34C
Merkur 300C Progress adjustable

From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
The R89 and 34C are both fairly mild razors, with the 34C slightly less mild. Both are good for beginners, and if I wanted a closer shave I could get sharper blades in.
The Progress would allow me to adjust to be more agressive once I get better technique, allowing me to do less passes and thus take less time to shave but comes at a greater cost.

My current plan of products to buy alongside:
Wilkinson Sword blades that have PTFE coating to start, moving on to Feather blades later once I get better
Pre-shave oil and Shave Cream that is applied by hand, again trying to save time to not use a brush + bowl (hope I don't offend anyone by doing this)

Would really appreciate any advice on the above (or any suggestions for different razors, with around the same budget in mind) as well as the shaving routine plan!
Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Progress.

But as it seems chromed Zamac isn't a concern for you, I'll suggest a Yaqi "The Final Cut" razor.
20231225_091810.jpg

Off Aliexpress. Cost maybe half what the EJ and 34C cost, and a third what the Progress goes for on Amazon.

Progress is not 300C. It is 500 (short), 510 (long) or 570 (short, boxed).

R89 and 34C are very mild razors. The Progress on the other hand even on 1 is aggressive.
Not using a brush is a huge mistake. Sorry, you won't have good results this way. Also do not use canned stuff.

Also do not use canned stuff.

This is definitely a YMMV lifestyle, but I’m a defender of canned goo. I dislike like blanket recommendations to avoid it like it’s some vector for leprosy. Canned foams can be quite good, especially Gillette Foamy, which has excellent slickness. Barbasol is ok, leaning on mediocre, but it greatly improves when you mix in water to add slickness because it’s quite dry straight out of the can. Then it really sings. I’ve never tried canned Proraso foams, but they are held in good regard.

I recommend canned foams for beginners because they remove one new variable in the routine and they keep costs down.

I will agree with you that canned gels don’t work very well. Those aren’t anywhere as good as the foams.

Edit: ah yes, the face palm response to differing opinions.

Last edited:
I recommend canned foams for beginners because they remove one new variable in the routine and they keep costs down.

I will agree with you that canned gels don’t work very well. Those aren’t anywhere as good as the foams.

Admittedly it's a long time since I looked, but I am not sure you can even get canned foam in the UK anymore. It kind of disappeared around the time that non-scientific folks heard about climate change and the greenhouse effect, due to the propellants, and never returned. If I Google "canned shaving foam" everything that comes up is imported stuff from Amazon / eBay - all you will find in supermarkets is gels and cheap brushless creams / oils IIRC.

That should have said, "I haven't purchased any blades in quite some time..." My first sample pack was the newbie PIF here on B&B (ask @dmshaver about those), and I've been participating in many of @Grundi 's PIFs as well as a few others and I haven't needed to purchase any blades in the last 3 years! (I shave every other day and generally use a blade 4x and then bin it.). I've also had the good fortune that when I started some forum members here have volunteered to send me some blades, and I have reciprocated as well when I found myself stocked up on some blades that others liked but they were just ok for me.

My point is that if you participate in these forums, you'll have plenty of opportunity to try some various blades and you'll learn what you like and what you don't.

sorry, “PIF?”

(Related, is there a page on the site with explanation of all the abbreviations?)

But as it seems chromed Zamac isn't a concern for you, I'll suggest a Yaqi "The Final Cut" razor.

Off Aliexpress. Cost maybe half what the EJ and 34C cost, and a third what the Progress goes for on Amazon.
Never heard of Zamac, why would it be / not be a concern for me? Thanks for the recommendation, do you use it?

Progress is not 300C. It is 500 (short), 510 (long) or 570 (short, boxed).

R89 and 34C are very mild razors. The Progress on the other hand even on 1 is aggressive.
Not using a brush is a huge mistake. Sorry, you won't have good results this way. Also do not use canned stuff.
Don't worry, have now obtained a brush

Top Bottom